GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,585
1 members and 2,584 guests
LaneSig

Old 01-16-2001, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Pledge tests

I was told by a member of a different sorority that having the pledges take written tests on sorority history was considered hazing. I don't think she's right...is she, or is it up to each national?

We had a bunch of activities planned for our pledges, but so many seem to be considered hazing now...scavenger hunts, harmless school pranks, pledges entertaining actives with skits etc. We are at a loss for coming up with other ideas...so far all that's left is sisterhood activities like retreats and dinners, and the pledge philanthropy activity. Help!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-16-2001, 04:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I ask you if you are a member of a national sorority. If you are, most of the ideas you have here are considered hazing by those organizations. I'm not positive on the written tests, but I know scavenger hunts, pranks, and skits done by only new member and not by sisters are all considered hazing. If you want to do these activities without them being regarded as hazing, most organizations suggest that you do them with the new members.

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiwolf:
I was told by a member of a different sorority that having the pledges take written tests on sorority history was considered hazing. I don't think she's right...is she, or is it up to each national?

We had a bunch of activities planned for our pledges, but so many seem to be considered hazing now...scavenger hunts, harmless school pranks, pledges entertaining actives with skits etc. We are at a loss for coming up with other ideas...so far all that's left is sisterhood activities like retreats and dinners, and the pledge philanthropy activity. Help!
Old 01-16-2001, 10:40 PM

My NPC sorority requires the n.m.s to pass a written test on the sorority before initiation. But I think if we were to just randomly give them quizzes it would be borderline hazing.

I agree that most of the stuff our alumnae did as pledges is now considered hazing. INCLUDING (by my GLO) pledge philanthropies. Basically we're not supposed to do anything that would make them feel singled out either individually or as a class. But of course pledge only activities is just as vital to sisterhood as all inclusive activities.
Old 01-17-2001, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a member of an NPC sorority. It's so frustrating, because the pledge classes loved the skit nights and scavenger hunts, and the pledge philanthropy project was always a big deal...but actives are involved as well, it's just up to the pledge class to pick an idea for the activity, and a theme if they want, but everyone helps with it.

There has to be some fun activities that are still left. Right? I hope!
Old 01-17-2001, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Everyone I've talked to (in the NPC, that is) has the New Member Education Test, but I haven't come across any "pop" quizzes, which would be hazing, right?

Old 01-21-2001, 02:33 PM
Unregistered-

Talking

I haven't come across anyone who's had to take a pop pledge quiz. Our pledge test is just a culmination of what the nms learned through frat ed in the past weeks. The date, time, and location is listed on the chapter calendar so the girls know when they have to be ready for it.
Old 01-24-2001, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

HAZING, HAZING HAZING!!!! It has so gotten out of hand of what cannot be done. New Associates should know about their Heretage or all will be lost. Do they not teach American History in the school systems? Why? They want us to know where we came from. I know where I came from in the Fraternity simply because I am the ONE who started it and we are celebrating our 35 th year! If you dont know your roots, then you are just another club not an organization of Brother and sisterhood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 01-25-2001, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

The bad part about it is, these pop quizes, or tests or whatever that are considered hazing? well, if we don't do them anymore, the new members just won't learn it, and when we say "You need to learn your history" they still won't because they 'don't have to'. We wont' be able to stop them, and we can't threaten them with "If you don't learn it, you won't be initiated" because then it's hazing! I can definatly see the greek system eventually turning into 'clubs'.

There has to be some requirements made for initiation and a way to find out if every requirement has been filled. It should NOT be hazing to have people take tests--as long as EACH GIRL KNOWS that is a requirement before she accepts bids. EACH GIRL SHOULD BE GIVEN A LIST OF REQUIRMENTS BEFORE SHE ACCEPTS A BID. That way each person KNOWS what will happen before they accept.

I think that when I pledged, the sorority had a list of requirements and activities that needed to be done in order to be initated. We had to look over the list and voice our opinions. The only things NOT on the list were specific rituals, but even then, RITUALS were on the list--they just couldn't tell us what the rituals entailed. I can't remember if we signed it or if we just looked it over. . .it was so long ago! Anyway, maybe a system like this should be put in place.
Old 01-25-2001, 01:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
We took pledge quizzes, but they were announced that they would be every Sunday, and we were told what the topic of the test was. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. If people didn't get all the questions right, we would have to take it over again, each day, until all of us had all the right answers. I think it's good for people to get to know the sorority stuff.
Old 01-25-2001, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mgdzkm433:
It should NOT be hazing to have people take tests--as long as EACH GIRL KNOWS that is a requirement before she accepts bids. EACH GIRL SHOULD BE GIVEN A LIST OF REQUIRMENTS BEFORE SHE ACCEPTS A BID. That way each person KNOWS what will happen before they accept.

I think that when I pledged, the sorority had a list of requirements and activities that needed to be done in order to be initated. We had to look over the list and voice our opinions. The only things NOT on the list were specific rituals, but even then, RITUALS were on the list--they just couldn't tell us what the rituals entailed. I can't remember if we signed it or if we just looked it over. . .it was so long ago! Anyway, maybe a system like this should be put in place.
We did the same thing...I thought it was expected (if not downright required) of all NPC groups. A good idea is for these "contracts", as they may be, to be the carbon-based type where say, the chapter has a copy, the prospective member, and the national office all has a signed copy of what happens, and what is expected? It would lower the amount of successful hazing lawsuits, I'm sure.

Old 01-25-2001, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, I agree, that would be a really good idea. The only potential problem I see of this, all activities, parties, everything will have to be planned out in advance. For instance, there can be a tentative 'pledge philanthropy' but say the night they find out their big sisters will have to be on there? I don't know, maybe that can be considered tenative too. . . You understand what I'm saying? The layout might have to be scheduled the semester before or something.