GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,439
1 members and 1,438 guests
No Members online

Old 08-12-2007, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

We have two sophomores from our HS giving it another try, so I am hoping things turn out well this time around.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-12-2007, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNUIGC View Post
Good luck to your daughter...and, I take it you're not greek yourself? That's pretty cool...it seems like parents who are greek take it abit easier than those of us who parents aren't greek and don't know...but, I'm glad to hear that you're learning about all of this.
Thanks to everyone for their kind wishes for our daughter. We haven't heard from her yet today -- I hope she'll check in with us tonight. SNUIGC -- both her mother and I were in GLOs, but our college experience was in the late 70s, at a school that is somewhere to the northeast of Athens (enough said for now). The school was large with lots of GLOs, but rush was much more mutual selection than it apparently is at Georgia. You got to know people and then you joined a fratrernity or sorority with friends. We had never heard of recs. Our son is a college junior and he is in a fraternity, also at a university somewhere to the northeast of Athens.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck UGADad and UGADaughter... I love it that we're getting a thread from a Dad! My daughter is rushing at Auburn this year as an out of state student and is really enjoying her experience. I think the best advice you could give your daughter is what you've already told her "keep an open mind and maximize your options!"

Keep us posted!
Old 08-12-2007, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Good Luck with Recruitment!!!!!

First Finest Forever
ADP
Old 08-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

goodluck to ugadaughter-hang in there ugadad(and mom)!
Old 08-12-2007, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I <3 PNM Papa threads

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 08-12-2007, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Good Luck!

Good Luck to all the UGA PNMs!
Old 08-12-2007, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Mama Dawg
My daughter is at UGA recruitment also, and I'm exhausted (smiling). Actually, so far, so good...we're prepared for anything tomorrow. My two best sister friends from my Alpha Chi house at UGA are holding my hand and holding me up through this process. Lovely daughter is doing great (the biggest problem we have is that she went potluck for a roomie and that is proving to be a less desirable situation.) Roomie isn't rushing (not a problem), but doesn't seem to talk.

When daughter was asked 17 times in the last two days (after "what's your major") "what do you think of your roommate", she replied, "well, she just doesn't talke." The sister guiding her through one house said, "doesn't talk....you mean doesn't actually talk....like...uh...can't talk." My daughter said, "You know, Mom, when someone tells me someone doesn't talk, I don't automatically assume they are mute!". We laughed a lot over that one. She felt better knowing that anyone can have a spacey moment when meeting new people!
Old 08-12-2007, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 2

We finally heard from UGADaughter (thanks for the nickname -- I couldn't figure out what to call her). She called UGAMom a few minutes ago. She had another really fun day today, but she also really liked the 2 hour nap she got this afternoon. Sounds like all the houses are doing a really good job making the girls feel comfortable and at home. Her buddies also had fun today, and they all appreciated the break they got this afternoon.

UGADaughter liked all the houses she saw today, and especially liked three of them. Of the 17 sororities she says there are at least 8 that she feels really good about at this point. Fortunately she had recs for 7 of those 8, plus three others. Even better, she is making lots of new friends along the way, at the houses, in her dorm and in her recruitment group.

So the two days that are happy for everyone are over now, and we'll see what happens tomorrow. My fingers are crossed for all the girls at UGA.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Dawg View Post
My daughter is at UGA recruitment also, and I'm exhausted (smiling). Actually, so far, so good...we're prepared for anything tomorrow. My two best sister friends from my Alpha Chi house at UGA are holding my hand and holding me up through this process. Lovely daughter is doing great (the biggest problem we have is that she went potluck for a roomie and that is proving to be a less desirable situation.) Roomie isn't rushing (not a problem), but doesn't seem to talk.
What do you mean by "going potluck"? I'm not familiar with that term!

I'm excited.... could we have a legacy AXO new member at the end of this recruitment?

Best of luck to your daughter, whether or not she ends up in AXO! (but let's cross our fingers...)

And UGADad, I'm glad everything went well for your daughter today. Here's to another great day tomorrow.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 08-13-2007, 02:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Aww, best of luck to your daughter!
Old 08-13-2007, 07:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AChiOhSnap View Post
What do you mean by "going potluck"? I'm not familiar with that term!
"Going potluck" means deciding not to pick a roommate she knows ahead of time. It's called that because you never know what's going to happen... sometimes you meet a great new friend and sometimes you can get someone totally crazy (kind of like a potluck dinner?).
Old 08-13-2007, 08:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Day 3

Phone rang this morning at 6:50 -- UGADaughter's happy voice told her mom that she is visiting 12 houses today for house tours, including all 8 of her first round favorites. I heard UGAMom telling her to "keep an open mind" and saying lots of other good stuff. So far so good, but prepared for pain later in the process! She told her mom it will be a long day but she will try to check in late tonight.

MamaDawg -- good luck to your daughter -- sorry about the roommate stuation. Maybe RoomateDawg is just very shy and will open up to DaughterDawg soon.

NUBlue&Blue -- good luck to your friends -- sounds like a special group of girls. And good luck to southernpromise -- thanks for doing a recruitment story.

Hope everyone's day goes well.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Mama Dawg
From 12 to 6...

Well, my phone rang early a.m. also....my dearest baby was invited back to 6 houses (two were at the bottom of her bottom five), but thankfully the other four were at the top of her list We were sad that she was cut from one house that she really enjoyed (and it was special...I went to prefs there, too!). Anyway, she was cut from that one (but we had no rec there....Knew no one. I should have done a better job) Today, we are scrambling to see if any last minute recs can go into two of those four where we also have no recs...

Yes, I hope we will have a new AXO legacy, too, but I know that you never know. When I was in school, we automatically invited back the legacy to round two to give her the benefit of getting better acquainted. But, if we were going to cut her, we had to do so after that round in order to allow her to have a chance to form a relationship elsewhere....is it still that way?
Old 08-13-2007, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

UGADad - Good luck to your daughter! Also, good luck to everyone else's daughters, friends, and family going through recruitment both at UGA and at other schools!

This is my first recruitment story time on GC and I'm pretty much loving it already, LOL.

UGADad - quick question for you - you mentioned that your daughter was an out-of-state freshman? Do you mind asking what part of the country she is from? Just wondering as I will be an out-of-stater next fall during recruitment as well...not 100% which university I will be at yet, but it will definitely be an SEC school.