GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,027
0 members and 1,027 guests
No Members online

Old 11-21-2019, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry Furman University Closes Fraternity Houses

Furman University has decided not to allow fraternities to have chapter houses. None of the fraternities are accused of doing anything wrong, but the University thinks that they MIGHT. Students are protesting. The fraternity houses are off campus and are not owned by the University.

All other Furman students are required to live on campus for 4 years. Fraternity members have had a waiver to allow them to live in the chapter house. This is being revoked, as well.

Furman Plans to Eliminate Fraternity Housing
Old 11-22-2019, 01:09 AM

This sucks, but on the other hand, non-Greeks should be allowed to live off campus as well.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't even necessarily see an issue with the school requiring the students to live on campus, and in turn, not live in the fraternity houses. If all other students are required to live on campus, then it makes sense that fraternity members should too.

However...

What the heck is this ish?!

Quote:
The houses are rented or owned by the individual fraternity chapters — not the university — but the school will no longer allow students to live in them or use them for official event space.

Spokesperson Clinton Colmenares said the primary goal of the policy change is to have all students living on campus, but it is also part of larger policy changes the school is implementing in its strategic plan for Greek life.

The changes include:

- Shortening new member education periods to six weeks
- Changing sorority and fraternity accreditation to include leadership development and career engagement
- Requiring the Fraternity and Sorority Life Office to do more to connect sophomore members with career competencies

The new policy means Greek organizations are also unable to host events at fraternity houses and will need to use on-campus or third-party venues.
So instead of simply requiring fraternity members to live on campus like all other students, the school took it another step further and is putting additional requirements on all fraternity and sorority members, limiting their ability to freely associate, and shortening new member periods over which it has no control?

@~/~~~~
Old 11-22-2019, 12:33 PM

This could backfire on them. If they start having all sorts of career development stuff and it’s for Greeks only, recruitment numbers might increase. So ha ha stupid heads!

We can’t really say their ability is limited if, say, the football boosters or the knitting club also have a rule that they can’t have events or meetings off campus.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I couldn't attend a school that told me where I had to live. This is just weird.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This could backfire on them.
Not only what you said, but they are now placing themselves in the crosshairs of any lawsuit which would have gone against a House Corporation in the past.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-22-2019, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

From your legal perspective, Kevin, are they also opening themselves up to lawsuits if the chapter house owners/renters are losing their operating revenue but are still obligated to pay long-term leases, mortgages, maintain an owned home, etc.?
Old 11-22-2019, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Many sororities have career development speakers come in as part of the chapter’s enrichment: resume writing, financial planning, speakers from different employment fields, etc. I would assume fraternities would also do that. So what exactly does Furman plan to require the Greek orgs to do? How often?
Old 11-22-2019, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
From your legal perspective, Kevin, are they also opening themselves up to lawsuits if the chapter house owners/renters are losing their operating revenue but are still obligated to pay long-term leases, mortgages, maintain an owned home, etc.?
I'm 100% sure there will be lawsuits.

No idea who wins.

A school of Furman's size budgets money for legal or even has their own in-house counsel which is capable of taking on litigation, so it might not be a budget-busting situation.

This is an interesting development. We used to provide an indispensable service to our schools by providing affordable housing for students. Now that schools are able to tap an endless supply of student loan money, they want to glom every penny they can from every student--and I guess housing is a vehicle for that.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-23-2019, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Like everything these days, all is Topsy turvy and a quagmire if stinking muck!

Schools want to show power over students no matter what. In the long run, there will come a shake up when schools realize that their enrollment is not going to put up with being brow beaten and not go to said school! The social, media grows so fast, word gets out, and I don't care how self import any school is, it hurts them! Who while on campus does over all the best such as donations as Alumni, and like Scrooge, it can come back and haunt them!

After all, it is the season, Bah Hum bug!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-23-2019, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
This is an interesting development. We used to provide an indispensable service to our schools by providing affordable housing for students. Now that schools are able to tap an endless supply of student loan money, they want to glom every penny they can from every student--and I guess housing is a vehicle for that.

YEP. A few years ago, San Diego State University mandated that all freshmen are required to live in on-campus housing. This semester, they have instituted the "Sophomore Success Program" and are now requiring sophomores to live on-campus. Due to the high influx of forced on-campus residents, SDSU mandated that freshmen are no longer allowed to have cars on-campus. The various Greek councils were against the freshman program and doubly against the sophomore program. We objected to the proposals and lost both times. I'm on the house corporation board and these policies are affecting our ability to fill our house.

The students are not fans either. One student said, "To us, this looks like a one-sided cash grab meant to put more money in their pockets at our expense and our parents’ expense..."

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/san-diego-state-university-program-requires-sophomores-to-live-on-campus/509-d3a4b103-3c64-4862-9ff5-2f845c8189bd

There was an online petition to repeal the sophomore success policy where many students made harsh comments stating that they felt the policy was a financial rip-off:

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/430/260/603/end-sophomore-success-program-at-sdsu/

The freshmen aren't fans either, "Many of this year’s freshmen, such as marketing freshman Kylie Brown who organized a March 18 protest in opposition to the initiative, say the academic benefits do not outweigh the significant costs of living on campus. She said, including her meal plan, she is currently paying about $1,770 a month for a single bed space in a room with three people."

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/SDSU-Students-Organize-Against-Sophomore-Housing-Requirement-508787891.html

And hey, since you can now force students to live on-campus, jack up the price and give them "abysmal conditions":

https://www.10news.com/news/students...n-sdsu-housing

True and Constant
Old 11-24-2019, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

This is crazy. Are they aware people need cars to get to and from work? Family members who are ill? Emergencies?

These colleges built all these expensive dorms and now the students are figuring out it's cheaper to just live on their own. It's not fair to force the students to live there now...
Old 11-24-2019, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
This is crazy. Are they aware people need cars to get to and from work? Family members who are ill? Emergencies?

These colleges built all these expensive dorms and now the students are figuring out it's cheaper to just live on their own. It's not fair to force the students to live there now...
Clarion students now have to live on campus freshman and sophomore years. I’m sure this is to build a community and has nothing to do with the overpriced suite style housing that was built when enrollment was in the toilet. The thought was if you build it they will come - “they” being rich students of course. There was a really good article on this, I’ll see if I can find it.

https://www.insidehighered.com/views...ent-facilities

I don’t know what the car situation is, but there are lots of colleges that don’t permit freshmen or even students in general to have cars on campus because the space simply does not exist. That’s not a new concept.

Last edited by 33girl; 11-24-2019 at 02:45 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I told my family there was no way I was going to Slippery Rock without a car lol. But, seriously- I did wind up needing the money I made at my off campus job...so I'm not sure I would have been able to stay if I couldn't work. But I understand not all schools have space.

Idk if you have to live on campus for two years there...I will ask my friend, whose daughter goes there.

The old dorms were the best. I spent one semester living in a (relatively nontraditional) singles dorm, and I HATED it. When you're at that stage of life, you want a zillion people around 24/7. It really is the best way to meet people.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
YEP. A few years ago, San Diego State University mandated that all freshmen are required to live in on-campus housing. [/url][/I][/SIZE]
Back in the Ice Age when I attended SDSU, we had rush before school started and the houses were heavily encouraged to have Freshman move in to the house as soon as they pledged because there were not enough beds available in the dorms. I spent all 4 years living in the house

DaffyKD