GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,389
1 members and 1,388 guests
Cookiez17

Old 08-23-2014, 07:09 PM

That's what I don't understand, how anyone can even see their accounts. I know people talk about it being a way to market yourself in rush, but I would think safety would be the overriding concern.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I was in college when FB came out at my school in 2004. I seriously cannot believe that it is almost 10 years later and we are still having to remind people about cleaning up social media. We were given the same spiel back then.

We had to learn as we went that social media could bite us in the butt in life.
You'd think it would be second nature for those kids coming in as freshmen now to have CLOROX CLEAN or PRIVATE social media accounts, because for them, there has pretty much always been FB/Twitter/etc. and they have grown up in the age of FB bullying, stuff going viral, etc.
In some ways there is a bright side to this stupidity. I read somewhere earlier this week that the pure evil ISIS fighters in Iraq and Syria can be easily tracked by their social media activity. Apparently they can try to disguise their voices and dress up all in black like executioners, but they just don't have the discipline to stop sharing on social media about their favorite sports teams, etc. It's just such an ingrained habit for them.

This has nothing to do with recruitment, of course, but it just goes to show that sometimes stupidity does have a bright side.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish kids would understand that it is best to avoid posing in questionable photos and videos period (and certainly best to avoid posting or sending these anywhere).

Unfortunately, even if they purge their own social media, someone may have grabbed a pic or video meanwhile and posted it where they cannot delete it. Worse yet, someone can post a questionable pic or vid without their consent, also in a place where they have no control over its distribution.

I'm sure this can be tricky in a world where everyone has a phone handy at all times. But they need to understand that a pic or video of themselves in a compromised state playing the fool can follow them indefinitely (for years, and theoretically, forever).

Some of what was posted this year was catastrophic for some girls during recruitment. Although it was not scandalous compared to much of what high school and college students post in social media, it was very embarrassing to them in their community as well. There may be little they can do to remove it, in any expedient manner, anyway, since it was downloaded onto another account over which they have no authority. It is there for all to see (peers, parents, neighbors, alums, teachers, church friends and leaders, etc) with over 11,000 views.

I at least hope that others may learn from their unfortunate lapse of judgment. Some who probably knew about it didn’t, apparently.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Okay, I'm gonna ask ...

How in the world do chapters have time to check facebook/twitter/instagram/pinterest/sharemylife/whatever for 2000 women going through rush? On top of the school-encouraged sleep deprivation of rush week?
Old 08-23-2014, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Private MS information but they start looking early on. With Alabama, their Preview weekend is in February....lots of time to check folks out.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Private MS information but they start looking early on. With Alabama, their Preview weekend is in February....lots of time to check folks out.
And before the PNMs even start think about "sanitizing" their pages!
Old 08-25-2014, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

My kids are "friends" with and "follow" family members in addition to my husband and I on social media. They know from early on that if Grandma can't see a picture it should not be there. DD2 has always been great about that but several times DD1 would be tagged in a pic from a friend and I would say get it down. Not that it was awful but just not how I would want her represented. I am shocked girls who want to go through recruitment would take that chance.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
Okay, I'm gonna ask ...

How in the world do chapters have time to check facebook/twitter/instagram/pinterest/sharemylife/whatever for 2000 women going through rush? On top of the school-encouraged sleep deprivation of rush week?
Easy - divide it up among certain chapter members, work on it some every day.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

And since about 1200 or more come to Preview in February, they start back before then.