GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,436
1 members and 1,435 guests
No Members online

Old 02-08-2008, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
Wow.

If she's FINANCING her wedding, and it's going to take 5 years to pay off the dress alone, maybe she should consider renting for awhile... at least a few years, until they can save up enough for a decent down payment on a house...

I didn't know you could still buy a house for $60-70K.

Here smaller homes in a shady neighboorhood start around 300K.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-08-2008, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mu_agd
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
I didn't know you could still buy a house for $60-70K.
hahahah I was totally thinking the same thing!
Old 02-08-2008, 06:09 PM

I personally think they should just rent something for awhile until they are a tad more stable. Once she gets done spending for this "dream wedding" I really don't think they'll have the money to even GET to MI (UHAULs, movers, packaging, etc), much less purchase a home.

Right now they live together (she moved in with him like 6ish months ago). Since they got engaged, she has also been complaining about how they need to move into a "nicer apt" since "they're engaged now" and their wedding isn't until 2009. So she wants to:

*move to a more expensive apartment until the wedding
*have a dream wedding with a dream honeymoon
*move to another state
*buy a nice 4 bedroom home

I wish her the absolute best of luck with all of her grand plans. In a perfect world, she totally would be able to do all of those things. But with just HIS journalist salary (she has no job) I'm not sure this can all happen.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 02-08-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:17 PM

Jocelyn,

Does this girl's fiance have anything resembling a pair of balls?

I'm just picturing the ex or ANY of the guys I know when I told them that we're (as in both our names) going into debt so I can pay for my dress. The response would probably be "have fun getting your dress to @#$% you on the wedding night, because I won't be there."
Old 02-08-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Jocelyn,

Does this girl's fiance have anything resembling a pair of balls?

I'm just picturing the ex or ANY of the guys I know when I told them that we're (as in both our names) going into debt so I can pay for my dress. The response would probably be "have fun getting your dress to @#$% you on the wedding night, because I won't be there."

Well the dress is only going to be in HER name as far as I know. She did say that he "nags" about saving for the move instead of spending on the wedding, but "he just doesn't get that you only get married once and everything should be just like you want it." So he just goes along with it. I think the only time he gets upset is when she outright bashes the ring or complains about the apartment.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Well the dress is only going to be in HER name as far as I know. She did say that he "nags" about saving for the move instead of spending on the wedding, but "he just doesn't get that you only get married once and everything should be just like you want it." So he just goes along with it. I think the only time he gets upset is when she outright bashes the ring or complains about the apartment.
Wait, maybe I missed you saying this before... she complains about her ring TO HER FIANCE???? I'm going to be surprised if they make it to the wedding. That would be a total deal-breaker for pretty much every guy I know.

Edited to add: it would be one thing if she told her friends she wasn't completely stoked on her ring, i think it's fine to be honest, etc....but to tell him she doesn't like it is just too far.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterXO View Post
Wait, maybe I missed you saying this before... she complains about her ring TO HER FIANCE???? I'm going to be surprised if they make it to the wedding. That would be a total deal-breaker for pretty much every guy I know.

Edited to add: it would be one thing if she told her friends she wasn't completely stoked on her ring, i think it's fine to be honest, etc....but to tell him she doesn't like it is just too far.
Maybe "outright bashes" is a little harsh. He asked once if she really liked it (since she is forgoing engagement photos) and she was honest with him and said that she "expected something more." I believe they got into a fight behind that.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Maybe "outright bashes" is a little harsh. He asked once if she really liked it (since she is forgoing engagement photos) and she was honest with him and said that she "expected something more." I believe they got into a fight behind that.
Oh no she didn't!!!! She's got some balls. I mean what does she expect him to do, buy another ring?
Old 02-08-2008, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I have actually known of couples like this before. She will make his life a living hell - no lie. Now it's the ring and the dress - then it will be the house, and the car, and the appliances, and the vacations, etc., etc., etc.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Whatever will she do if the kids aren't "good enough"???
Old 02-08-2008, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh,she'll nag them, too. Maybe he'll have enough before they reproduce.

eta - or she'll become a pageant mom . . .
Old 02-08-2008, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

If they're moving to the Detroit area, tell her I have a condo that we'd probably sell for as low as $75K in an only slightly urban but pretty close to the up and coming GenX version of Yuppies area. (It's worth a shot... we gotta unload my mom's condo so I can buy a new car)
Old 02-08-2008, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey, for that matter, if she wants to move to the middle of nowhere, I've got 16 acres with a 1/8 of a mile driveway - she can put up her own gate!
Old 02-08-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
If they're moving to the Detroit area, tell her I have a condo that we'd probably sell for as low as $75K in an only slightly urban but pretty close to the up and coming GenX version of Yuppies area. (It's worth a shot... we gotta unload my mom's condo so I can buy a new car)
LOL. They're trying to move to Lansing I think.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Michigan has some very affordable areas. I'm not sure how much of a variety is in her price range, but I know many banks (including ours) have a plethora of REOs in our Portfolio that we need to get rid of. She won't get a gated community unless she puts a chain-linked fence around her yard.