GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,041
1 members and 1,040 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 03-17-2017, 01:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Spring Break Recruitment

I've been reading these threads for a few years now, so I thought I would write about my recruitment experience!

Just some background- I rushed as a freshman and ended up dropping out of recruitment after I received an oral bid and was dropped by that specific house. The other house I had left didn't feel right- I was simply too upset. So this was my second time rushing!

Since it's springtime, I thought I would make it a destination recruitment!

There are 8 houses

Cabo
Destin
Cancun
Bahamas
Miami
LA
Charleston
Hawaii
Old 03-17-2017, 02:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Day 1

I was incredibly nervous prior to recruitment. I had gotten many rec letters, been on multiple rush dates and went to almost all of the rush events. I felt as prepared as I ever would be.

Cabo- My first house was Cabo. I knew going into recruitment that I would never be a Cabo, they were simply too well-connected for a girl like me. Nevertheless, I had a lovely time there and even spoke to a friend of mine, but knew this would likely be my last time in Cabo.

Destin- Next up was Destin. Again, I knew I wouldn't be a Destin and felt like this would be my last time there. The girls are very pretty and well-connected, but I did not enjoy myself there. The conversation just seemed to drag on in Destin. I hoped I would not be asked back to Destin.

Cancun- Another "top-tier" (whatever that means), I had a feeling I would not be a Cancun either. Nevertheless, I LOVED Cancun. The sweet girls I talked to made time fly. I was not hoping for an invited back, but enjoyed myself nevertheless.

Bahamas- Going into recruitment, I thought there might be a chance for me to be in Bahamas. However, I wasn't too sure. I hoped recruitment would work its magic for me. I talked to a good friend of mine, but it seemed like every other girl I talked to just didn't clicked. I was hopeful to go back to the Bahamas, but wouldn't be upset if I didn't get asked back.

Miami- I had been rushed by Miami all the former semester. I was very much looking forward to relaxing a bit when I got to this house- as all my friends are Miamis! However, the conversation was lacking. I got a bad taste in my mouth, but was hoping for an invite back to clear things up.

LA- Next up was LA. It was nothing special, the conversation was okay, but I was not hoping for an invitation back to LA.

Charleston- Charleston was my "goal" since I entered college. I really, really wanted to be a Charleston. However, I was dropped by them after Day 2 last year, so I knew I really didn't stand a chance. Many of the girls I am in other organizations with are Charlestons, but I didn't know them too much personally. I enjoyed myself here and crossed my fingers for an invitation back.

Hawaii- Last was Hawaii. I really didn't want to be in Hawaii. The conversation was HORRIBLE- they asked me about last year's rush and why I dropped out. When the doors closed, I told myself I would not be back.

I was very nervous ranking the houses but I decided to rank them in this order

Miami
Charleston
Cancun
Bahamas
Cabo
Destin
LA
Hawaii
Old 03-17-2017, 02:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Day 2

After Day 1, I was sick with worry- my sweet mother got a hotel room near school and I was so happy she was able to be with me! I sat by my phone fearful that I would be dropped from recruitment!

When I opened my schedule for Day 2- I was so surprised- I had a full schedule of 6 houses! I had been asked back to my top 6:
Miami
Charleston
Cancun
Bahamas
Cabo
Destin

Miami- Going into recruitment, I thought I would be a Miami- all my friends were here- I had another lackluster day. The conversation was just okay, but I knew my sweet friends were here. I thought I might get dropped from Miami.

Charleston- I LOVED Charleston. I was able to talk to one of my biggest role models and met so many lovely girls. I could see myself here. I was just worried I might not be good enough.

Cancun- Cancun was a little uncomfortable today, especially since I talked to just one girl. She was sweet, but one girl for 30 minutes is a lot! I knew I would never be a Cancun, but it was nice to be asked back!

Bahamas- I was a bit surprised to be back at Bahamas, but happy to be there! I talked to some great girls and one of my best friends! It was good.

Cabo- Cabo was good (isn't it always?) The girls were pleasant and kind and we had good conversation, but again, I knew this wasn't the house for me.

Destin- I did NOT like Destin. The girl who spoke to me is a mutual friend and it seemed like she was distracted the whole time! I did not want to be asked back to Destin.

Today I ranked-

Charleston
Miami
Bahamas
Cancun
Cabo
Destin

I told my mother I thought I would not be asked back to Miami- she was surprised and told me to "trust the system."

I sat by my phone the whole night long.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:18 AM

Which sorority was the one that oral bid you?
Old 03-17-2017, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

@33girl

Miami gave me an oral bid the year prior.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogreek96 View Post
Miami gave me an oral bid the year prior.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that dirty rushing? I'm interpreting this as on pref night/day, she was told she had a bid by the sister preffing, but they dropped her after pref.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that dirty rushing? I'm interpreting this as on pref night/day, she was told she had a bid by the sister preffing, but they dropped her after pref.
Yep, it sure is.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
She was likely not dropped after pref. She simply wasn't high enough on their bid list & they filled their quota before they got to her place on the list.

I am very curious specifically what they said in the "oral bid." Not many NPC chapters are foolish enough to do that. The words used make ALL the difference.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello all- Just wanted to clear anything up- I was dropped before pref by the house that gave me an oral bid.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 3

I was so so so incredibly nervous going into Day 3, but I knew I would get a call if I was dropped completely, so I knew that I would be called back to a house walking in that morning.

I opened my schedule and there it was-

Charleston

and nothing else. I was not shocked that Destin, Cabo, Bahamas and Cancun were not on my schedule, but I was a bit surprised that Miami was not.

My dream had always been to be in Charleston but I knew that I had to get past Day 3 and Day 4! My heart was beating out of my chest, but my game face was on.

Charleston- I had another great day at Charleston. They showed a beautiful sisterhood video which made me feel so warm and fuzzy. Looking around, I really wanted to be a Charleston. I just wasn't so sure if they wanted me....

Stay tuned for Day 4- Pref Day!
Old 03-17-2017, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 4

I stayed by my phone all night waiting for a call....I was so scared I would be dropped from recruitment. When I woke up in the morning, I checked my phone for voicemails and sighed in relief when there was none. I knew at this point I would be going to Charleston for pref day.

The pref ceremony at Charleston was beautiful. I am generally not a crier but I may have teared up. One of my biggest role models preffed me first, then another sweet girl from an organization did and then another one of my big role models came to seal the deal. She was crying she was so happy I was back.

They kept on trying to convince me that Charleston was the best- little did they know they didn't have any convincing to do!

I left Charleston teary eyed and scared that they may drop me!
Old 03-17-2017, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

BID DAY

Later that afternoon, after many terrifying minutes waiting for a call in case I was dropped, I opened a white colored envelope with a gold lining and made it official....

I was offered a bid from my dream sorority.....

C H I O M E G A!
Old 03-17-2017, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

A warm welcome to Chi Omega!!!! Chi Omega was also my first choice going into rush as well as my first choice at pref. It was just meant to be for both of us!

Chi Omega
Old 04-19-2017, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations on your bid!