GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,335
0 members and 1,335 guests
No Members online

Old 08-21-2014, 06:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Snap Bids

I have an idea of how they work but I'm fuzzy on some rules. Are they only extended on his day or can they be given a few days after recruitment concludes? Also, is it possible to give someone a snap bid accidentally and take it back?
Old 08-21-2014, 07:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Snap bids are bids that are extended between bid matching and Bid Day activities. PH calls women who are offered snap bids during this time period. They are usually women who did not match for whatever reason (SIP) or who may have dropped out but a chapter has still listed them on their bid list. Chapter members do not know who was offered a snap bid. Recruitment officers/alumnae in a chapter may realize it but not anyone else as they come and participate like anyone else.

Once a bid has been accepted, as it would be on the spot for a snap bid, it cannot be rescinded. They would have to terminate that woman's pledgeship - and that might be problematic...not to mention a PR disaster!
Old 08-21-2014, 07:26 AM

Sidenote: One of my biggest pet peeves is incorrect terminology and when a woman receives a bid FOLLOWING bid day and chapters call it a "snap bid." Once bid matching has occurred and the FR period has ended (i.e. bid day marks the ending), it's not a snap anymore. Technically, it's a COR bid at that point.

Ex: "We gave out 2 snap bids the week after bid day." or "I was snap bidder by Sigma in October."

No, you CORed them. They are not snaps. Stop it.

/volunteer pet peeves.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Sidenote: One of my biggest pet peeves is incorrect terminology and when a woman receives a bid FOLLOWING bid day and chapters call it a "snap bid." Once bid matching has occurred and the FR period has ended (i.e. bid day marks the ending), it's not a snap anymore. Technically, it's a COR bid at that point.

Ex: "We gave out 2 snap bids the week after bid day." or "I was snap bidder by Sigma in October."

No, you CORed them. They are not snaps. Stop it.

/volunteer pet peeves.

LOL!
Old 08-21-2014, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I feel like we should have an RFM thread
Old 08-21-2014, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Maybe just copy and paste the whole section from the MOI???
Old 08-21-2014, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Wait a second. I thought that if you SIP'ed you were not eligible for a snap bid? Can you guys please clarify? I am so confused.

Here's the Glossary definition of Snap Bidding: Snap bidding — An option available to chapters that did not fill quota. Chapters may offer bids to potential new members whose preferences were not matched. This process takes place before bids are distributed. Snap bidding is not intended to fill spaces in the chapter total and is limited to any woman who participated in the designated recruitment.

And as for RFM, there's a separate publication on that. It's pretty detailed. And lengthy!

More information on Snap Bids, from the Manual of Information (MOI) 2014:

If a fraternity has not filled its quota through bid matching in membership recruitment, the College Panhellenic Membership Committee may immediately ask if the fraternity wishes to extend a bid to anyone not originally on its bid list.
Snap bidding is an option available to chapters that did not match all quota spaces in bid matching, whether matching by hand or by computer. Snap bidding is done before bids are distributed. Snap bidding is not intended to fill spaces in the chapter total. Any chapter may prepare a separate snap bid list that can be used at the proper time for determining snap bids. Snap bidding is open to any woman who participated in at least one round of the designated membership recruitment process.
If none of the woman’s preferences have matched a fraternity’s bid list, the Panhellenic Membership Recruitment Committee may contact the woman and ask if she will accept a bid from a fraternity not previously listed among her choices, provided the fraternity has notified the Panhellenic of its desire to offer her a bid.
Snap bidding is under the direction of the College Panhellenic Membership Recruitment Committee, working with the chapters that have quota vacancies. A signed MRABA shall be filed with the College Panhellenic before a woman who has accepted a snap bid may be pledged. Snap bidding shall begin immediately after bid matching and end with the distribution of bids, at which time continuous open bidding will begin.
Panhellenics should keep on file for two calendar years all records used in bid matching and COB. Because of their confidential nature, these records should be carefully protected until destroyed.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-21-2014, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

True but I know of places that have done it...
Old 08-21-2014, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I believe a PNM who SIPs is eligible for snap bids, but not quota additions.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Wait a second. I thought that if you SIP'ed you were not eligible for a snap bid? Can you guys please clarify? I am so confused.
My understanding is people who SIP aren't eligible for quota addition, but are eligible for snap bids.

They would also be eligible for COB/COR once Recruitment ends, which the only different between that and a snap bid is timing.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHeartOneWay View Post
I believe a PNM who SIPs is eligible for snap bids, but not quota additions.
That's right.

When I was in school it wasn't the PH that called the member so I'm not sure if that changed over the years or is campus specific.

I was told to call the girl I had preffed and offer a snap bid, there was a specific time that we were allowed to start calling. This gave Rho Chis time to tell women that they didn't match.

Imagine my horror when I called the girl and she had no idea why I would call her. Her Rho Chi had not spoke to her yet.

I still don't know what went wrong because she ended up getting a bid from another chapter she preffed. We had three parties that year so I don't know if she was snapped by them or if we had just been given bad info in the first place.

And yes, they way it was done meant that a girl could receive multiple calls from chapters offering snap bids. She had to accept or decline and then sign the card with Panhel. Awful really.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

I have only seen the greek life coordinator make snap bid calls-mind you, this was a while ago at a small public university that matched bids by hand.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:14 AM

One of my chapter sisters swears up and down that she was offered what would be classified as snap bids from four different groups but I think she's full of poo.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
I still assist with one of our chapters at a small University that matches by hand! Snap Bid calls are made by the Greek Life Coordinator while we are all still sitting at the table once Bid Matching is over. I'm not sure how other chaoters do this, but our Snao Bid list is typically women who we invited to Pref but did not attend (maybe they attended the other two sororities' Pref parties) and then did not match.

If we had a woman on our second bid list who did not match anywhere during bid matching, we have been able to get her as a Quota Addition.

Explaining the difference, and the process, to the Greek Life Coordinator was frustrating the first time, because she is not a sorority member, and had not read the Green Book!!!
Old 08-21-2014, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaXi_Husky View Post
My understanding is people who SIP aren't eligible for quota addition, but are eligible for snap bids.

They would also be eligible for COB/COR once Recruitment ends, which the only different between that and a snap bid is timing.
Really? Now more confusion ensues. I read the MRABA and I didn't think you could do that.

Note to self: ignore recruitment.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity