GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,425
3 members and 1,422 guests
aantonygooglet9, John

Old 08-28-2020, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldBows View Post
I found this to be really interesting so I did a little more digging (thanks insomnia) to see how many each campus had open at the same time. All of my years are based off the list that IrishPipes puts out for her NPC recruitment thread.

1) A lot of chapters closed and reopened in the late 80s at Illinois so this might be wrong but according to the dates in IrishPipes's thread, Illinois has only ever been home to 24 NPCs at one time, in 1988.
Tri Sigma's chapter became inactive in 1987, but in 1988 Zeta Tau Alpha and Delta Zeta reopened their chapters. Alpha Sigma Tau has never had a chapter at Illinois.

2) Penn State has also only ever had 24 NPC chapters at one time, between 1962-1966. Alpha Sigma Alpha colonized in '62 and the Delta Phi Epsilon chapter became inactive in '66. However, Sigma Kappa didn't join the campus until '92. Alpha Sigma Tau has also never had a chapter at Penn State.

3) Indiana has only ever been home to 23 of the 26 current NPC organizations at the same time - in 2016, after Sigma Kappa recolonized but before Tri Delta's chapter became inactive in 2017.
Alpha Sigma Tau and Phi Sigma Sigma have never had chapters at IU, and Tri Sigma's chapter has been inactive since 1994.

4) Miami University has only had 21 NPC chapters open at the same time, in 1992 after Alpha Sigma Alpha recolonized but before Tri Sigma became inactive in 1993.
The Alpha Sigma Tau chapter has been inactive since 1929, Sigma Delta Tau became inactive in 1987 and Phi Sigma Sigma didn't join the campus until 2016. Delta Phi Epsilon and Theta Phi Alpha have never had chapters at Miami University.

5) Ohio State has only had 20 NPC chapters open at the same time, between 1948-1958 after Delta Phi Epsilon recolonized and ending when the Phi Sigma Sigma chapter became inactive in '58.
The Alpha Sigma Alpha chapter has been inactive since 1934, the Theta Phi Alpha chapter has been inactive since 1944, the Sigma Kappa chapter was inactive between 1940-1991, and Alpha Omicron Pi didn't join the campus until 1993. Alpha Sigma Tau and Tri Sigma have never had chapters at Ohio State.
We march to the beat of our own drum

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
(referring to Penn State and U of Illinois)
I know Alpha Sigma Tau was once part of the Association of Education Societies (which merged into the NPC in 1951) which would have focused on Teacher's Colleges, but I would have *expected* that to have changed since then...

Looking at the active chapters of Alpha Sigma Tau at https://alphasigmatau.org/members/find-a-chapter/ I don't see *any* active chapters at the primary Land Grant University for a State. So for example, 15 active chapters in Pennsylvania, including most of the former teacher's colleges in the State, but has never had a chapter at Penn State. (And doesn't currently have one (and not sure ever had one) at the other large schools mentioned: Illinois, Indiana, & Ohio State) (it did have a chapter at Miami U of Ohio, Kappa chapter)

I'm not sure if the Sorority has a specific policy for focusing on expansion at smaller schools and/or former teachers colleges, but at least at this point, it appears so from their active chapter list.
I honestly don't know why. Perhaps housing has something to do with it? (We don't have a national housing corporation). Either way, it really is interesting that in 120 years, the sorority has had a similar focus in expansion efforts.

The one school that has always confused me, though, is Penn State's main campus. About a quarter (20) of our collegiate chapters are in the state, including two on PSU branch campuses. Housing wouldn't be an issue. There have clearly been plenty of opportunities to present there, but I don't know that we ever have. I know we haven't in the recent past (last 20 years).

@~/~~~~
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-08-2020, 04:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
We march to the beat of our own drum

I honestly don't know why. Perhaps housing has something to do with it? (We don't have a national housing corporation). Either way, it really is interesting that in 120 years, the sorority has had a similar focus in expansion efforts.

The one school that has always confused me, though, is Penn State's main campus. About a quarter (20) of our collegiate chapters are in the state, including two on PSU branch campuses. Housing wouldn't be an issue. There have clearly been plenty of opportunities to present there, but I don't know that we ever have. I know we haven't in the recent past (last 20 years).
Good for AST and their own drum.

I know the needs for a large school are different from those for a smaller school, so that may be part of it (and if this means no chapters in the SEC, that may be a blessing. )
Old 09-08-2020, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
Here's a fact pertaining to both Phi Delta Theta and Phi Kappa Tau founding at Miami University

Phi Delta Theta fraternity was founded in 1848, in Elliott Hall, room 202, by co-founders Robert Morrison and John M Wilson.

Phi Kappa Tau founders William H. Shideler and Clinton D. Boyd lived together in the same room (room 202) in Elliott at the time of their fraternity's founding in 1906.
That IS a coincidental Fun Fact!
Old 09-08-2020, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there chapters of Alpha Sigma Tau at some of PSU's branch campuses? I thought I remembered seeing that at one point.