GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,153
1 members and 1,152 guests
LaneSig

Old 01-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Good advice. I'm starting my grad program this fall, so I'll definitely keep these points in mind.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

DISCIPLINE is VERY key! Do not wait until the last minute to begin and complete assignments...you will go koo koo for cocoa puffs. Time management is key...especially if you are also working or serving as a GTA.

Stay on top of readings and papers that are due. And speaking of papers....keep them all...if you will be working on a thesis and later a dissertation a good idea is to figure out what research you would like to do now and if allowed each paper you write should be around this topic. This makes completing your research and thesis easier. My thesis was the ground work for what I am doing now. I am working on my Ed.S in higher ed. but will continue to expand on this work for my dissertation. It is all about working SMART!

Last edited by Velocity_14; 01-25-2008 at 11:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-27-2008, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks!!!

prayerfully i am going back to school in the fall. this information is very helpfl if i decide to do a thesis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity_14 View Post
DISCIPLINE is VERY key! Do not wait until the last minute to begin and complete assignments...you will go koo koo for cocoa puffs. Time management is key...especially if you are also working or serving as a GTA.

Stay on top of readings and papers that are due. And speaking of papers....keep them all...if you will be working on a thesis and later a dissertation a good idea is to figure out what research you would like to do now and if allowed each paper you write should be around this topic. This makes completing your research and thesis easier. My thesis was the ground work for what I am doing now. I am working on my Ed.S in higher ed. but will continue to expand on this work for my dissertation. It is all about working SMART!
Old 01-27-2008, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

you are very welcome!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darling1 View Post
prayerfully i am going back to school in the fall. this information is very helpfl if i decide to do a thesis.
One of my professors hipped me to this my first semester of graduate work and has been one of the best pieces of advise I have received regarding graduate school and writing a thesis/dissertation.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

What about online classes? I'm sure its the same advice. My first graduate class is an online (because I work fulltime). I'm beginning a graduate certificate in children's literature at framingham state college (framingham, ma). FSC offers online, hybrid(mostly online but includes on campus meetings) and on campus. In your opinion which do you prefer? I still enjoy face to face classes. In the fall I will AIM for an on campus class.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks again. im in the process of writing my essay. im finding myself having to reference the essay i did for the first grad program i participated in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity_14 View Post
One of my professors hipped me to this my first semester of graduate work and has been one of the best pieces of advise I have received regarding graduate school and writing a thesis/dissertation.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I just got word this morning that my financial aid had come through for grad school, so I start on May 5th!!! I'm sooo excited! I'm going for an MBA in Finance through the online program at Grand Canyon University.

As far as the professional associations, and networking, does anybody have any advice for that when you're in an online program? I'm in GA, my school is in AZ. Are there any finance or accounting major related associations any of you could recommend? Great thread, thanks!
Old 05-01-2008, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Ah!
I was accepted to graduate school and upon reading articles of it, I'm starting to freak out! Really, what should I expect? Will I see my friends? Will I live in the library or is everything just blown out of proportion? Any other advice? I've scoured the threads here and read all of them but I want some experiences. Anything to make me feel like I can truly make it! :-)
Go Chi O!
Old 05-04-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillady85 View Post
Ah!
I was accepted to graduate school and upon reading articles of it, I'm starting to freak out! Really, what should I expect? Will I see my friends? Will I live in the library or is everything just blown out of proportion? Any other advice? I've scoured the threads here and read all of them but I want some experiences. Anything to make me feel like I can truly make it! :-)
I think you're blowing it out of proportion a bit. Granted you probably won't be able to go out like you would in undergrad, but as long as you manage your time well, you can still have a social life.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I think you're blowing it out of proportion a bit. Granted you probably won't be able to go out like you would in undergrad, but as long as you manage your time well, you can still have a social life.
Yep!!! Time management is KEY!!! You will be alright!!!!
Old 05-05-2008, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

[quote=Velocity_14;1588434]DISCIPLINE is VERY key! Do not wait until the last minute to begin and complete assignments...you will go koo koo for cocoa puffs. Time management is key...especially if you are also working or serving as a GTA.

Strongly agree. I haven't been in school awhile, and am back this semester.
The first project with three sections I put off to the night before, it was in publicity, promotions. My background is in writing so I thought it would be a snap. I am finding news writing and pr very different. Four hours later, I was half done and had to finish early in the morning after getting up, then went to my grad assistant job. I was glad I proofed the assignment that afternoon, a project written with sleepy eyes wasn't a good idea. I am getting better with time management, needed with class and work.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Time management?!? You mean I can't wait till the day before to do the paper? Lol. I'm going to need a better calendar than iCal.
Go Chi O!
Old 05-05-2008, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

If you are going back to school after an extended period off and you have a husband/wife and/or kids... Make sure they know that things are going to change while you are in school. Try to balance your time with being with your family, but at the same time, when it is school work time, the door needs to be shut and only an emergency should pull you away from what you are currently working on. Also, the house might not get cleaned and that is ok (either that or hire a maid if you can afford it.) Dinner might be fix yourself a can of soup or reheat the casserole and those are ok too. Same goes with your activities outside your family and school- let your church know you will not be able to volunteer for everything, let someone else have the job of coaching the soccer team or being the Boy Scout Leader. It is just for a short amount of time in the long run, but the more concentrated effort you put towards grad school now, the faster and easier it will seem to go.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Bump

Advice for those of us moving to brand new cities?
Go Chi O!
Old 07-30-2008, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillady85 View Post

Advice for those of us moving to brand new cities?
Where ya headed, lillady?