GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,421
1 members and 1,420 guests
sdneyttso2029

Old 02-01-2005, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I thought I wanted to go to the University of Richmond for years. I'd spent a summer there and loved the campus. I went back for a visit with actual students on campus, though, and HATED the vibe I got. I decided to start looking at other schools. My sister went to Elon, and she and my mom were working hard to get me to go there without my knowing. They convinced me to take my best friend down and go on a tour. Well, I ended up falling in love. I sent my application in August of my senior year for early decision, and I was notified October 5th that I had gotten in. I was the first person in my high school to know where I was going I definitely did a lot of screaming and yelling when I got the letter in the mail. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-02-2005, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I applied to about 20 some schools so it was madness for a few weeks there. I remember getting my letters from my top 2 and not wanting to open them at all. I did that whole, is it thick enough, big enough, thing. And I opened them and I was in so yeah for being accepted to Brown and Duke. But I had some health problems and ended up going closer to home. Now, I want to transfer but can't imagine school without my sisters and my other friends. Plus, I would go insane without my family. But it was so exciting.

Not as exciting as ACT scores though. I got called in by my counselor and I was sure I did horrible, I was really sick the day I took them and hurried the last few sections to get out of there because I couldn't stay awake. She called me in to tell me I'd gotten nearly a perfect score. I cried, because I was so happy I didn't have to take them again.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I did a suicide in picking my school but knew I'd get accepted. I did and it just came natural. Not being cocky or arrogant but I knew I was that good.

Regards,

Boodleboy322
Old 08-02-2005, 08:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I applied to 2 schools, Kennesaw State University, and Southern Polytechnic. I sent my application in Spring of 2002 to start school in Fall 2003. Why? I was still in the navy at the time, and was going to be leaving for a deployment. I wasn't sure how long the application process would take, so I applied early.

I didnt think much about it when mom asked me for my fax number on the ship. She just said she had some stuff she wanted to send me. So I went to the fax machine and had 2 acceptance letters. I whooped and hollered and ran around my office and all my co-workers thought I was insane. All I coul think of is "I'm going to school when I get off this damn floating hunk of steel!"

I chose SPSU because they accepted some military experience as credits and KSU didnt. Plus, at the time, SPSU had an IT program, and KSU only had Computer Science. They now have an Information Security program, but I like right where I am
Old 08-04-2005, 03:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I applied to Baylor as soon as I possibly could--when I went for a campus visit in July after junior year of high school, they said I could apply whenever, so I did--as soon as I got home, I started getting all the necessary info together and had the online application done by August. Let's see, I used to live nearby in Hewitt and thought the area was pretty nice, it had a pretty campus, an interesting honors program, I wanted to get as far away from the Seattle area and as close to family in east TX as possible, but still far enough away to be independent, and I'd heard wonderful things about the law school (where I hope I'll be in a couple years) sooooo...yeah, ever since the college question first started seriously popping up circa sixth gradeish, Baylor had definitely been at the top of the list.

That being said, there was an option to check the status of my application online...which I did rather obsessively for a couple months. Get home, check e-mail, check Baylor site to see if anything happened to my application yet, and voila, one day, it said that my application for admission had been accepted. I printed out that page and stuck it in the pile of mail to be found whenever my parents got home.

I applied elsewhere--SMU, TCU, UT Tyler, and Midwestern State (my mom's school!)--but I didn't have nearly the amount of panic over the applications and whatnot until SMU almost offered me the Presidential Scholarship (or something like that, I can't remember the exact name, but that one where they invite you for a campus visit and interview where you're competing for a full ride?). Ultimately, the decision was based a lot on financial aid, and I didn't get that full ride to SMU, but that was cool because I got a good offer from my first choice and I think it's pretty funny that I met a couple other folks from my honors thingy here at Baylor who were also at those SMU interviews!
Old 08-04-2005, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I applied to 4 schools. The school I wanted (Texas), one my mom really wanted me to look at, extremely random one my mom talked me into applying to (Arizona State), and a safety.

The safety accepted me in 1 week (hence the reason it was my safety), the one for my mom in a month, ASU accepted me and gave me a scholarship in January so I went & looked at it, fell in love, applied for housing and paid my deposit. Then at the end of April I got the letter from Texas, so I ended up there. I had a hard week deciding, but I know I made the right choice. :-)
Old 08-04-2005, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I knew the first time I went to College Station to visit that A&M was the only place I really wanted to go to school.

I only applied to other schools because I didn't think I would get in. I applied to North Texas, Stephen F. Austin, and SMU. All great schools, and I got accepted to all of them, which was very exciting!

The day I got my acceptance from A&M, my mom was out of town on business. I came home, checked the mail and saw a big fat envelope from A&M. I tried not to get my hopes up (even though it was a big envelope). So, I kinda peeked through the little window & could see the word "CONGRATULATIONS". Then I proceeded to tear open the envelope and start crying hysterically.

I called my mom crying, and she thought that something terrible had happened. But, when I told her that I got into A&M, she was really excited for me!

Still the best decision I have ever made!!!

TXADPi- It's great to see another ADPi in Texas on GC!!! Do you love Austin as much as I do??
Old 08-04-2005, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh Lord, I can still remember when i got my letters of acceptance!!

I had applied to Pepperdine University, the University of San Francisco, and Chestnut Hill College. Ironically, I didnt apply to the school that i'm currently attending until MUCH later.

I remember when I got the Pepperdine Letter I was home early. I can't remember exactly why, but I think I had a doctor's appointment (or i had just stayed home sick). I remember seeing this HUGE envelope and my heart started skipping beats!! I ran to my parents room and layed the envelope down on the bed. I just sat there staring that it for a few minutes. I mean this was my DREAM school and I just wanted to take every precaution! lol. I finally just ripped it open and saw the letter saying: "Congratulations, you've been accepted into the class of 2007!"

I started screaming for joy, i screamed for my mom---but she was less than thrilled! I just had to wait til all my friends got home from school so that i could tell em! lol

Then when I got the USF acceptance, i was still beaming from the Pepperdine one. IT was just a regular size envelope, so i was very nervous, I thought i hadn't gotten in. So when i opened it and saw the "Congratulations" line again, i was esctatic. I couldn't beleive that I had gotten into my 2 top schools.

The same happened for CHC. But unfortunately, my mom decided all these schools were too expensive (uhh..HELLO! what college ISN'T expensive?)

So I ended up having to apply to UTEP at the end of june, early july. So here i am...still stuck here! lol
Old 08-04-2005, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lindz928
TXADPi- It's great to see another ADPi in Texas on GC!!! Do you love Austin as much as I do??
Yep, I love Austin so much I considered it my home before I even got here!
Old 08-04-2005, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
ooo, my acceptance to Otterbein was SO exciting! I applied early to everywhere, and when I say early, I mean MAY of my JUNIOR year. I actually got a call from the admissions dept saying that they weren't quite processing forms yet, but that mine would be the first processed, as it was the first recieved!

I got "the letter" at school, actually. On September 20, of my senior year...hadn't even been in school a week! I got called down to the main office, where the secretary had a letter in a tan envelope (small envelope, and we all know what those mean) but it had "copy" on the outside of it...so I opened it up and it said "Dear Ms. Berg, Congratulations and welcome to Otterbein College!" I jumped up and down and scared the CRAP out of the secretaries! I read further, and they were offering me 6 grand for academic scholarship, with an application enclosed to go for 9 grand presidential scholarship. I had gym class right after, and I ran down there as fast as I could...I was the first person in my high school accepted to college! I was also the first person accepted for the freshman class of Otterbein. THat same day, the REAL acceptance letter came to my house, and my dad opened it before I got home and he cried. (aww).

I turned in my presidential scholarship application WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY early too, and I accidentally talked to the person who had processed it...who said "Oh! I just read your scholarship application...I dont think you have anything to worry about!". About two weeks later, scholarship was confirmed!

I was accepted to Pitt, Penn State, St. Bonaventure, Ball State, IUP, etc etc...but my heart was at Otterbein!
Old 08-05-2005, 12:34 AM

I always knew that I wanted to go to Pitt and it was the only school I applied to. I knew I'd get in since my high school grades were respectable and my SATs were ridiculously good ( ). So I got my acceptance letter and opened it and showed it to my mom who kind of shrugged and said, "Well, did you think you weren't going to get in?"

When my little sister got early admittance (I think that's what it's called) to Cornell, I wanted SOMEONE to raise a fuss for her so I sent her a nice flower arrangement with a note that said, "Congratulations! Go, Big Red!" 'Cause you know my family don't think too highly of that thar book learnin'

When my kids get into college, there will be much celebration in our house
Old 09-27-2005, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I remember receiving the acceptance letter to the school I most wanted to attend but didn't end up going to. I applied to U of Southern California, Baylor, Carnegie Mellon, Wash U (in st. louis) u of I urbana champaign, university of pittsburgh.

I REALLY wanted to go to USC. I researched their music program, which was one of the best, and thought I would LOVE to go to CA. I received my letter on a Wednesday, right before I had to go to my piano lesson (yes geeky I know). I ran in with the fat envelope and was screaming "i got in!" to my parents. The letter said Congratulations you have been admitted to USC and came in a huge "welcome to the trojan family" folder. But in the end, I didn't go to USC because they didn't give me enough aid.

So I went to Baylor, which is about as different as you can get from USC. But it was still a good experience!
Old 01-09-2008, 08:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Sooo...I'm reviving an old thread, but I think it's cute!

I only applied to two schools. I know, duh! It was UC Santa Cruz and UC Davis. UCSC said I could find out online mid-March. (They had some specific date, but I dunno what it was.) I checked on my mom's computer when I was getting ready for school one day. I was in a bathrobe with a towel on my head when I read, "Congratulations!" I screamed and she wondered what was the matter. :-)

I didn't end up getting into UCD, but no matta! UCSC was my top choice. My dad got me a cake and put a banana slug toy on it. They sang "Happy Santa Cruz to you!" Sooo lame but memorable.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I had well above the suggested GPA and ACT score that the college had listed on their site, so it was pretty anti-climatic for me. There were only 2 schools in my state that had my major - and one of them was Ill. State, which I hated because a)it was too close to home and b)there was a highway running through the middle of campus.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I didn't get into my DREAM college, but I got into one that became my dream.

I had been rejected from places like Princeton and Cornell...hell, I was even wait-listed at Sarah Lawrence and Vassar -- who does that, really?

Then I got into a bunch of smaller schools that our counselor made us apply to but had no interest in attending: Washington College, Denison, Fisk.

I had gotten into George Washington and I REALLY wanted the full-ride they offer to select DC Public Schools students. Got in, but didn't get the money.

So one day, rather late in the whole process, I get a thick envelope from the Georgetown University Office of Admissions. I couldn't believe it -- I had put Georgetown on the level of the schools I had been waitlisted and rejected from.

Well obviously I got in . It was THE MOST classy, professional.....almost regal of all my acceptance packages. It was a deep navy blue tri-folder with silver metallic writing. In the center was the acceptance letter, to the left was the financial aid letter, to the right was the open house weekend invitation.

The aid...... man o man was the aid great.

Georgetown was the best school I got into and I was really happy they chose me. It really shaped me into the person I am today:

A snob.