GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 319,144
Threads: 114,995
Welcome to our newest member, EduardoDot
» Online Users: 197
2 members and 195 guests
naraht, PGD-GRAD

Old 05-19-2021, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

From what I've heard, Alpha Gamma Delta has joined the list of "anyone breathing can recommend."
Let's see, that makes AGD, APhi, KAT, GPhiB for "any warm body" and PM for "destroyed." I feel like I left somebody out.

Old 05-20-2021, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Pi Phi=destroyed.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Obviously, nobody can give information about membership selection (and I'm not even privy to that information anymore since I retired from volunteering), but just because anybody can write a rec doesn't mean all recs are assessed equally. Since anybody can do a rec for a PNM for Alpha Gamma Delta now, anybody can view what information is included in a rec. We call it a recruitment information form, not a recommendation (and that's been true as long as I've been a member). It's just data- name, basic info, transcripts, resume info.

I know recs are a big deal in the SEC. MOST schools in my area have no idea what to do with one when/if they get one. I think that's true for most schools in the country. They are extremely rare and were usually used only for legacies up here in the Great Lakes area. The one exception would be Indiana. Even where they are used, all the same information is on the transcript and resume that they have to submit for recruitment. They get into college based on recommendation letters that could have been written by anybody. Sure, there are anecdotes about particular instances where a 'no rec' was done and it was a good thing, but there are a gazillion instances where a member has to be suspended because of her behavior even though she had a glowing rec from some alumna who may or may not have even met her.

Maybe not the popular opinion here, but probably the realistic opinion up north.
Old 05-21-2021, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

It's glaringly obvious when you get a rec from someone who doesn't know the candidate.
Check your Constitution or bylaws, wherever you have the rules for who is a candidate for membership and the process for joining. More than likely you'll find a requirement in there a girl is supposed to have a rec in hand before you issue a bid.
When I've worked with chapters that don't use recs, that little requirement has, in the distant past, been conveniently ignored and dropped out of use.
Used correctly, a recommendation can be a huge help in giving a chapter a preview of a candidate's personality and character. That insight, coupled with in-person meeting, helps the chapter determine if the candidate is a fit or not.
Otherwise, it's just checking off a box and a bunch of busywork.
In addition to helping the chapter, it involves the alumnae and makes them feel like their input is valued. That's really nice when you want to be involved but don't live close enough to a chapter or campus to help.
I've always thought the most valuable recs aren't the ones lauding the merits of a great student. The most valuable are those warning of a disaster ahead!

Old 05-21-2021, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Originally, PNMs were never supposed to get their own recs....that's the responsibility of the chapter.
But with 2200 PNMs, you'd have to have all chapter members working full-time all summer to get recs on everyone. You just about HAVE to encourage PNMs to find their own.
Maybe when the numbers coming through drop, things will settle down a bit.

Old 05-21-2021, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
It's glaringly obvious when you get a rec from someone who doesn't know the candidate.
Check your Constitution or bylaws, wherever you have the rules for who is a candidate for membership and the process for joining. More than likely you'll find a requirement in there a girl is supposed to have a rec in hand before you issue a bid.
When I've worked with chapters that don't use recs, that little requirement has, in the distant past, been conveniently ignored and dropped out of use.
Used correctly, a recommendation can be a huge help in giving a chapter a preview of a candidate's personality and character. That insight, coupled with in-person meeting, helps the chapter determine if the candidate is a fit or not.
Otherwise, it's just checking off a box and a bunch of busywork.
In addition to helping the chapter, it involves the alumnae and makes them feel like their input is valued. That's really nice when you want to be involved but don't live close enough to a chapter or campus to help.
I've always thought the most valuable recs aren't the ones lauding the merits of a great student. The most valuable are those warning of a disaster ahead!
For real, on both counts.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

See, here's what fries my mind:

If Pi Phi was looking for a handy way to drop the problem of having more legacies than spots in new member classes, the way to do that and manage to infuriate loyal alums was to drop all legacy privileges, then claim they were doing it in the name of diversity. Virtue signaling at its worst--loads of money and alum support were lost, plus diversity is likely to go down as chapters won't want to pledge women whom they know nothing about.

If they were hoping to solve the problem of recruitment committees having to read hundreds of recs by announcing that all recs were out the window but claiming it was "so that they could increase diversity", they blew it again. I actually had some idiot tell me that the idea was that no one would know any woman at all until she walked through the door on the first day. Chapters are now doing their best to find out the tea on PNMs by phone and email, and who can blame them? I have had several calls from chapters already about local PNMs.

This has been a massive fail, both putting a much heavier workload on chapters and offending alums, often the ones who have been their biggest financial supporters. Good luck in keeping the big McMansions in repair.
Old 05-22-2021, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Let's not forget that the dedicated alumnae who aren't completely turned off by the state of affairs will most probably STILL send letters of recommendation.
Old 05-22-2021, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Secretly!
Old 05-24-2021, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

If I am understanding this correctly, Alpha Delta Pi is still accepting recommendations. The form can be found online, or a personal letter about a PNM is permitted.

There are changes in legacy policies, what with the sheer numbers going through recruitment, but most fall under "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" spectrum. OF COURSE, ADPi is still thrilled with recruiting Legacy PNMs!
Old 05-24-2021, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
If I am understanding this correctly, Alpha Delta Pi is still accepting recommendations. The form can be found online, or a personal letter about a PNM is permitted.

There are changes in legacy policies, what with the sheer numbers going through recruitment, but most fall under "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" spectrum. OF COURSE, ADPi is still thrilled with recruiting Legacy PNMs!

Hi there. My daughter needs a rec. She will be going into first grade next year and will be in the gifted program. She wants to be a veterinarian some day.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 05-24-2021, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInKC View Post
Hi there. My daughter needs a rec. She will be going into first grade next year and will be in the gifted program. She wants to be a veterinarian some day.
Give me a call when she's a senior in high school!
Old 05-25-2021, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Texas A&M Sororities

I am speaking to a group of A&M pnms, and want to be sure I have the correct information regarding recommendations. Going to websites, this is what I have found (please correct me if I am wrong):
Alpha Chi Omega recommendations from alumnae
Alpha Delta Pi recommendations from alumnae
Alpha Epsilon Phi (does not participate in formal recruitment)
Alpha Omicron Pi recommendations from actives and alumnae.
Chi Omega - recommendations from alumnae.
Delta Delta Delta - recommendations from alumnae.
Delta Gamma - recommendations from alumnae.
Delta Zeta - recommendations from actives and alumnae.
Gamma Phi Beta anyone may write a recommendation; alumnae may recommend.
Kappa Alpha Theta - anyone may write a recommendation; alumnae may recommend.
Kappa Delta - recommendations from actives and alumnae.
Kappa Kappa Gamma recommendations from actives and alumnae.
Pi Beta Phi recommendations from alumnae. May change after convention.
Zeta Tau Alpha recommendations from alumnae.
Old 05-25-2021, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Give me a call when she's a senior in high school!

The early bird gets the worm! I can't wait till the 12th hour and expect her to get in to a top tier chapter!

p a w e a since 1899
Old 05-25-2021, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I am speaking to a group of A&M pnms, and want to be sure I have the correct information regarding recommendations. Going to websites, this is what I have found (please correct me if I am wrong):
Alpha Chi Omega recommendations from alumnae
Alpha Delta Pi recommendations from alumnae
Alpha Epsilon Phi (does not participate in formal recruitment)
Alpha Omicron Pi recommendations from actives and alumnae.
Chi Omega - recommendations from alumnae.
Delta Delta Delta - recommendations from alumnae.
Delta Gamma - recommendations from alumnae.
Delta Zeta - recommendations from actives and alumnae.
Gamma Phi Beta anyone may write a recommendation; alumnae may recommend.
Kappa Alpha Theta - anyone may write a recommendation; alumnae may recommend.
Kappa Delta - recommendations from actives and alumnae.
Kappa Kappa Gamma recommendations from actives and alumnae.
Pi Beta Phi recommendations from alumnae. May change after convention.
Zeta Tau Alpha recommendations from alumnae.
How about the rest of the NPC? Phi Mu, SK, DPhiE, AGD, APhi, etc??