GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,981
0 members and 1,981 guests
No Members online

Old 01-19-2021, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

With any shot that goes into the muscle, the more you use the arm, the less it will hurt. People always say how much vitamin B12 shots hurt and this is why- it goes into the muscle. Flu shots, tetanus shots, into muscle. That's why they do it high on the arm- to ensure they get it into the Deltoid. Once someone told me this factoid about using the arm, I made sure I moved it around a lot and it really did make it better.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I used the moving around trick when my kiddo got his childhood vaccines - making sure to move his little legs around with regularity.

As my grandfather has now died from COVID, and both of my parents (his caretakers) now have it....it now seems almost bittersweet that I am scheduled for my first dose on January 28. I'm trying to silence this guilt over scheduling mine (as I'm teaching remotely), when there are so many in my county teaching in person - but as my husband reminded me, the district can really change their minds on plans at any time.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
With any shot that goes into the muscle, the more you use the arm, the less it will hurt. People always say how much vitamin B12 shots hurt and this is why- it goes into the muscle. Flu shots, tetanus shots, into muscle. That's why they do it high on the arm- to ensure they get it into the Deltoid. Once someone told me this factoid about using the arm, I made sure I moved it around a lot and it really did make it better.
Maybe that is why I never have muscle soreness when I get the flu shot. I keep things moving.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I heard about the "keep your muscle moving" thing and I can 100% confirm that it didn't work for me. I tried to keep moving my arm until the pain was so great that I couldn't lift it anymore. The muscle simply stopped engaging. I then resorted to using my right hand to "pick up" my left arm and exercise it.

True and Constant
Old 01-21-2021, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Got my first dose yesterday. I am 75 with one underlying condition and teach student nurses in a subacute facility. I got the injection and went to work. They suggested hydrating well so I did. My arm is sore if I bump it on something or sleep on it, but otherwise I don’t notice anything. My coworker who got the shot same time as I did has dizziness, nausea, and intense fatigue today. Those are what the nurse said they have seen most often for side effects. We got the Moderna. I was so, so glad to finally get this dose, and have no qualms about the second, but will take the advice and get it in the other arm. Those of you who had more severe effects and are planning on getting the second dose anyway are an inspiration. Thank you!
Old 01-21-2021, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
My partner got the first dose a couple weeks ago and is scheduled to get the second dose on Saturday. He got the Pfizer shot. No side effects from the first dose. He works for a hospital (though not in a medical position) and is in a couple high-risk groups (over 50 and diabetic), so he’s in the first group in our state.

I am much, much lower on the priority list (in my 40s, not a frontline worker, not in any of the high risk groups), so I don’t expect to be able to get the vaccine until next year sometime. (That way if it does become available to me this year, it will be a pleasant surprise.)

Last edited by Sister Havana; 01-21-2021 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my sorority sisters just got her 2nd dose (health care worker). Had a sore arm for one day from the first vax. I believe she got the Pfizer shot
Old 01-21-2021, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I just had my teeth cleaned today and my hygienist and the rest of the dental office staff just had their second Pfizer shot earlier this week -- no one had any serious after effects that precluded them from working and using their arms to clean teeth and do dental procedures.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevinpiphi View Post
I used the moving around trick when my kiddo got his childhood vaccines - making sure to move his little legs around with regularity.

As my grandfather has now died from COVID, and both of my parents (his caretakers) now have it....it now seems almost bittersweet that I am scheduled for my first dose on January 28. I'm trying to silence this guilt over scheduling mine (as I'm teaching remotely), when there are so many in my county teaching in person - but as my husband reminded me, the district can really change their minds on plans at any time.
I'm so sorry for your loss- I'll keep your parents in my prayers.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

So.....my arm is sore again. I got the first dose of the vaccine on 1/14 and the debilitating pain in my arm lasted for 3 days and finally went away around 1/18. Then I was fine for 3-4 days. Yesterday, I noticed that there was a minor little spot of soreness in the area coming up again and paid it no attention. Well, overnight my deltoid muscle has become sore again. Sore enough that making my bed was uncomfortable this morning and I'm back on the ibuprofen.

True and Constant
Old 01-26-2021, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

My Dad is over 80yrs and received the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. He has no arm pain or any other symptoms. He lives outside of Cleveland in Medina county. My Dad went to a local drug store to receive his vaccine.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok....you all are probably annoyed with me; but, I am sharing my experience here in hopes that it might help someone else later.

So, in my last post I mentioned that the arm soreness came back. To recap -- I had the first dose of the Moderna vaccine on 1/14/21. For 3 days I had debilitating arm pain. The pain subsided and I had little to no pain at all for about 4 days. Then, on 1/23/21, I noticed that my shoulder was becoming sore again. It's not as debilitating as it was before; but, it is very uncomfortable and is disrupting my ability to function in my daily life. I have trouble sleeping because there is no position of comfort. I struggle to turn the steering wheel when I drive. I have difficulty taking a shower. I was up all night last night due to the arm soreness disrupting my sleep. Since it has now been 12 days since the vaccine, I decided it was time to seek help and I went to urgent care this morning.

Because the pain and soreness went away for a few days and then came back, the physician ruled out a mechanical injury. Meaning, she doesn't think the needle stick hit a nerve, etc. She believes I am having a delayed [immune] response - my body is still trying to respond to the vaccine. She didn't mention if this is rare; but, it seemed like it didn't surprise her too much. I asked her why the response would go away and then come back a few days later. She said that this vaccine is new and they are still learning about it.

She checked my range of motion and was concerned that my shoulder unit was experiencing pain and limited movement outside of the deltoid muscle where the injection was placed. Basically, because of the "injury" to my deltoid muscle, my entire shoulder unit has clenched up in an attempt to protect itself. That is causing non-involved auxiliary muscles to hurt as well.

She prescribed me a strong anti-inflammatory and also a muscle relaxer. In two days she wants me to begin at-home physical therapy exercises to open up my range of motion. If I don't see improvement, I may have to go for in-person physical therapy. I may also have to stay home from work (firefighter) while my shoulder rehabs. The doctor recommended me to register a vaccine injury with the government Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), which I have done. Because I got the vaccine at work, I need to file an injury claim with my employer as well.

Even today, I had yet another well-meaning friend tell me, "...well my elderly mom and dad got their vaccinations and *they* were fine." That's nice for you and them; but, that's not relevant. What is relevant is that *I* am one of the people who had a problem with the vaccine. People have been acting like I am imagining things or overexaggerating. I have been examined by a doctor. She noted inflammation and decreased mobility. The vaccine is causing a problem. So, please please please be kind to friends, family, coworkers who are in the small percentage of people who are having a reaction and are hurting. (Please?)

Let's help the researchers and as many people as we can! Register for V-Safe when you get your first shot so that you can report on your side effects (if any). If you had any kind of a more serious issue, please submit a report to VAERS so that the scientists can try to work out how to make this work for as many people as possible.

V-SAFE: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ety/vsafe.html

Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) - https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/en...ers/index.html

Edited to add: My comment wasn't directed to you, PKT4LIFE! Apparently you were posting at the same time I was. I am glad to hear your daddy is doing good so far!

True and Constant
Old 01-27-2021, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Ok....you all are probably annoyed with me; but, I am sharing my experience here in hopes that it might help someone else later.

So, in my last post I mentioned that the arm soreness came back. To recap -- I had the first dose of the Moderna vaccine on 1/14/21. For 3 days I had debilitating arm pain. The pain subsided and I had little to no pain at all for about 4 days. Then, on 1/23/21, I noticed that my shoulder was becoming sore again. It's not as debilitating as it was before; but, it is very uncomfortable and is disrupting my ability to function in my daily life. I have trouble sleeping because there is no position of comfort. I struggle to turn the steering wheel when I drive. I have difficulty taking a shower. I was up all night last night due to the arm soreness disrupting my sleep. Since it has now been 12 days since the vaccine, I decided it was time to seek help and I went to urgent care this morning.

Because the pain and soreness went away for a few days and then came back, the physician ruled out a mechanical injury. Meaning, she doesn't think the needle stick hit a nerve, etc. She believes I am having a delayed [immune] response - my body is still trying to respond to the vaccine. She didn't mention if this is rare; but, it seemed like it didn't surprise her too much. I asked her why the response would go away and then come back a few days later. She said that this vaccine is new and they are still learning about it.

She checked my range of motion and was concerned that my shoulder unit was experiencing pain and limited movement outside of the deltoid muscle where the injection was placed. Basically, because of the "injury" to my deltoid muscle, my entire shoulder unit has clenched up in an attempt to protect itself. That is causing non-involved auxiliary muscles to hurt as well.

She prescribed me a strong anti-inflammatory and also a muscle relaxer. In two days she wants me to begin at-home physical therapy exercises to open up my range of motion. If I don't see improvement, I may have to go for in-person physical therapy. I may also have to stay home from work (firefighter) while my shoulder rehabs. The doctor recommended me to register a vaccine injury with the government Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), which I have done. Because I got the vaccine at work, I need to file an injury claim with my employer as well.

Even today, I had yet another well-meaning friend tell me, "...well my elderly mom and dad got their vaccinations and *they* were fine." That's nice for you and them; but, that's not relevant. What is relevant is that *I* am one of the people who had a problem with the vaccine. People have been acting like I am imagining things or overexaggerating. I have been examined by a doctor. She noted inflammation and decreased mobility. The vaccine is causing a problem. So, please please please be kind to friends, family, coworkers who are in the small percentage of people who are having a reaction and are hurting. (Please?)

Let's help the researchers and as many people as we can! Register for V-Safe when you get your first shot so that you can report on your side effects (if any). If you had any kind of a more serious issue, please submit a report to VAERS so that the scientists can try to work out how to make this work for as many people as possible.

V-SAFE: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ety/vsafe.html

Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) - https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/en...ers/index.html

Edited to add: My comment wasn't directed to you, PKT4LIFE! Apparently you were posting at the same time I was. I am glad to hear your daddy is doing good so far!
Hugs! I am sorry you are not feeling well. This vaccine is affecting people in many different ways. Some have post symptoms, which can last for a while, others have no symptoms. I still think the Moderna vaccine is more aggressive on our body than the pfizer. I registered with V-Safe and reported my symptoms. Thanks for mentioning V-Safe.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, THANK YOU navane! After reading over your post yesterday, I screen shot it and sent it out to friends and family whose first shot is quickly upcoming—mine is tomorrow morning. All were grateful for your detailed reaction diary and also for the V-SAFE info.
Any new information is indeed welcome.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I just returned from getting my FIRST covid shot—the Pfizer vaccine. It’s been two hours and I admit I was a bit woozy—but I ate a little lunch and I’m okay. Granted it’s not been long, but I’ll update as time passes. The hospital clinic (I’m in IN) made my last shot appointment immediately after: Feb 19, 7:20 a.m.

I feel VERY fortunate and hopeful but still hesitant and a bit fearful—if that makes sense. The nurse DID tell me that while everybody is different, the most often-reported issue with the Pfizer vaccine is the day or two after the second shot: mini flu symptoms including a fever, drowsiness and a headache lasting a day or so. But again, she said some people report almost nothing.

Good luck to all the rest of our brothers and sisters—this is ONE benefit of being a bit more—“ahem!”—senior status!