GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 928
1 members and 927 guests
No Members online

Old 02-17-2017, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

What did your GLO do for its Centennial?

Alpha Phi Omega was founded in 1925, so I'm starting to look at what sorts of things that the Fraternity should do for its 100th anniversary.

So I thought I'd ask around here on Greekchat!

If your group did something particularly special for another major anniversary (50, 60, 75, 125, 150) please share as well!
Old 02-17-2017, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Phi Epsilon is celebrating our centennial on March 17. The sorority took a survey a few years ago to see how members wanted to celebrate. The overwhelming feedback was that they wanted local centennial celebrations with fellow sisters and alumnae. To help facilitate this, IHQ put together a centennial celebration guide and some themed items (balloons, paper products, banners, etc) into a kit. This was kicked off at our 2016 convention. We are providing further event planning training to help assist with centennial celebration plannings at our regional undergraduate conferences this year. Delta Phi Epsilon also partnered with Member Planet to help provide some easy web templates and communication tools for each undergraduate and alumnae chapter. All chapters (alum and collegiate) are encouraged to hold a local centennial celebration in 2017. IHQ is helping us register and promote these events so help get the word out to alumnae who might not be connected to a chapter. Delta Phi Epsilon IHQ wants to really encourage chapters to realize these celebrations can be anytime throughout 2017 and don't have to be huge, formal affairs. IHQ also started a campaign at our 2016 convention called "Each One Reach One" to encourage each individual sister to reach out and reconnect with another sister to help re-engage them with the organization.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

I wasn't born before our Centennial. I can't access our site at work, but I'll check it out after work.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

For Theta Phi Alpha's centennial we held our convention in Ann Arbor, Michigan, as we were founded at UM. Our centennial history book was released that week. We went on a tour through town, seeing the locations of our first few houses, going to the church where our founders worshipped, visiting the gravesites of the founders buried locally and leaving white roses at their headstones. We painted the rock in the middle of the university's Greek row. We also alumna initiated a relative of one of our founders. It was really lovely and had a wonderful turnout!
Old 02-18-2017, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh gosh ours was in 1970 and I was born then (sticks out tongue at honeychile). Let me see if I can dig up anything for you.

The 150th is being planned now (sesqui something or other). I'm not in the inner circle (the sorority within the sorority as many call it) so I know very little!
Old 02-18-2017, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
i pledged the year of Delta Gamma's Centennial, and most of the celebration took place before I paid any attention to what was happening outside my own chapter.

I do know we created a quilt with a block from every chapter in existence at the time.

I believe our pledgemaster embroidered our block.

You can see the quilt at this link.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I was a collegiate back then, and I took part in the recruitment and later installation of our 100th chapter during our 100th year, Delta Sigma chapter of Delta Gamma Fraternity at Auburn University. There was the quilt, as Tess noted. I think there may have been a couple of centennial scholarships given. Gosh, that was 40+ years ago.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Phi Alpha had a documentary on PBS for our Centennial in 2006.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I was a collegiate back then, and I took part in the recruitment and later installation of our 100th chapter during our 100th year, Delta Sigma chapter of Delta Gamma Fraternity at Auburn University. There was the quilt, as Tess noted. I think there may have been a couple of centennial scholarships given. Gosh, that was 40+ years ago.
144 to be exact....only 6 more to 150!
Old 02-19-2017, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

On January 1, 1969, Sigma Nu reached its one-hundred-year milestone. In the year that followed, it marked that event with a series of Centennial dinners at 36 locations throughout the country and with pilgrimages to the gravesites of the three Founders and the first editor of The Delta. Then on Sunday, June 15, a Centennial Convocation was held in Lexington. Two beautiful new wings of the Headquarters building were dedicated, one housing the Sigma Nu Museum and the other the Fraternity's Honor Library, later to be dedicated in tribute to former Executive Secretary Richard R. "Dick" Fletcher, who had long since earned the moniker "Mr. Sigma Nu."

Sigma Nu in its 100th year had come a long way from its founding. At the century mark it had issued 164 charters of which 143 chapters were alive and flourishing. Of the nine other truly national fraternities older than Sigma Nu, only three had more initiates. Sigma Nu owned 110 chapter houses providing living accommodations for more than 3,500 students. All this had been accomplished solely through the appeal of its principles - without false claims or specious promises, without merger, without honorary members. Every chapter had earned its own way by applying integrity in both purpose and method.

--from the Sigma Nu website
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-19-2017, 02:26 AM

ASA's centennial was in 2001. We had our 2000 convention in Richmond, VA (near Longwood University where we were founded). All chapters, alumnae and collegiate, active and dormant, were encouraged to hold local reunions/celebrations.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Look at what Pi Beta Phi is doing https://www.pibetaphi.org/pibetaphi/...150_Years.aspx