GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,532
1 members and 2,531 guests
Tridentia

Old 10-27-2021, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh and yes, Elle in Legally Blond is a Delta Gamma as the book was written by a DG.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-28-2021, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Oh and yes, Elle in Legally Blond is a Delta Gamma as the book was written by a DG.
But in the movie, she is a Delta *Nu* to avoid issues.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

A Different World used to show Hillman students wearing NPHC gear.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
But in the movie, she is a Delta *Nu* to avoid issues.
Which also happens to a DG chapter name
Old 10-28-2021, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Unless it is the one where the sister who wrote the book attended, I'm not sure that it means anything. I would expect that most if not all NPC sororities that use the common (alpha -> omega, alpha alpha ...) ordering would have a Delta Nu chapter. Picking another NPC sorority, sort of at random, Phi Sigma Sigma's Delta Nu chapter is at Iona College.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

From the show production side, apparently they got approval from I/HQ (not sure if AKA uses that term) to use their likeness, but the blowback is from some membership.

I'm curious if that's accurate, but that's AKA business and I'm sure they'll handle things if proper protocol wasn't followed.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXA SE285 View Post
A Different World used to show Hillman students wearing NPHC gear.
The extras wearing the NPHC gear were respective members of the orgs.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Unless it is the one where the sister who wrote the book attended, I'm not sure that it means anything. I would expect that most if not all NPC sororities that use the common (alpha -> omega, alpha alpha ...) ordering would have a Delta Nu chapter. Picking another NPC sorority, sort of at random, Phi Sigma Sigma's Delta Nu chapter is at Iona College.
As a DG, I can say we all found that interesing. However, we can see where others didn't. I was speaking from a DG perspective.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
As a DG, I can say we all found that interesing. However, we can see where others didn't. I was speaking from a DG perspective.
Appreciated. Delta Nu chapter of Delta Gamma is at Northern Illinois University, I believe.
Old 10-30-2021, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiez17 View Post
Tri Delta had a SNL skit to their name (which is a classic to me anyway.) Why didn't they just make up a "fake" greek org to avoid all of this like they did in Legally Blonde and other movies?
Quote:
Perhaps with the SNL skit, for example, they had permission from Tri Delta?

When that skit aired, Tri Delta was NOT happy about it occurring, and no permission was given. In fact, it was difficult to find video of the skit for a long time because of the backlash. There's an article that was written around the time the skit aired that explains more about Executive Office's reactions. Honestly, the end is what makes me angry about it, simply because the writers and actresses have a dismissive and disrespectful take on the whole thing. https://www.thedp.com/article/1992/0..._over_snl_skit

That being said, when it comes to the use of NPHC letters in this situation, I'm not qualified to comment. I would prefer to stick to what I know, which is my organization's policies and attitudes on matters like this. I will leave the commentary up to NPHC members.
Old 10-30-2021, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And the screenwriter was an Alpha Gam. We also have a Delta Nu chapter, but the screenwriter is from our Delta Theta chapter.
Old 10-31-2021, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

ALPHA KAPPA ALPHA SORORITY DIRECTOR PLANNING TO TAKE ACTION AFTER AKA LOGO WORN BY ACTRESS

https://www.blackenterprise.com/alph...rn-by-actress/

Quote:
Well, it looks like Issa Rae and the “Insecure” show creators might have a lawsuit on their hands for including the official AKA shield in their season 5 premiere episode.

Amid pink and green backlash over Amanda Seales’ character Tiffany DuBois wearing official AKA paraphernalia in the episode, the organization’s executive director is speaking out and asking her sorors to let them handle it.

“WE WERE MADE AWARE OF THE UNAUTHORIZED USE OF OUR BRAND ON THE HBO SHOW INSECURE EARLY YESTERDAY MORNING (MONDAY, OCTOBER 25, 2021) AND ARE TAKING STEPS TO PROTECT OUR BRAND,” AKA SORORITY INC. EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR CYNTHIA D. HOWELL SAID IN A STATEMENT.

“Please allow the corporate office to handle this matter. We all have a duty to protect our brand. You can do your part by refraining from engaging with anyone involved with the show or with anyone, including other sorors, on social media about this matter. Thank you for your continued assistance and cooperation.”

@~/~~~~
Old 11-08-2021, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I remember an interview with her that she pledged twice but never initiated. Perhaps one of our DGs can clear this up?
Old 11-08-2021, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
I remember an interview with her that she pledged twice but never initiated. Perhaps one of our DGs can clear this up?
Do you mean Reese Witherspoon? I recall one interview she gave (possibly on Tonight Show with Jay Leno) she said she never pledged any group, even though she grew up around people to whom joining the right Delta Delta Delta chapter Down South meant the world (pretty sure she used the 3D group name).

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Do you mean Reese Witherspoon? I recall one interview she gave (possibly on Tonight Show with Jay Leno) she said she never pledged any group, even though she grew up around people to whom joining the right Delta Delta Delta chapter Down South meant the world (pretty sure she used the 3D group name).
I was referring to the author of the "Legally Blonde" book Amanda Brown.