GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,133
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, Yodapolarisnupe
Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

BAD: dress like blacks. Good: dress like girl?

Got this from Hermes. These people could be in real trouble if they dress up like a black girl or black boy, but dressing like opposite sex is cheered. PC oes wild.

Greeks to participate in campus drag show at Syracusse
By Liz Satenstein
Media Credit: Courtesy of Judy Mayka

Drag queens. Greek life. And fundraising for AIDS prevention.

To Judy Mayka, there's only one phrase that accurately captures all of the above: Totally fabulous.

"At first we didn't know what to call the show and we went through a list of names," said Mayka, a sophomore women's studies and political science major, who is organizing a Syracuse University drag show Feb. 27. "We decided on 'Totally Fabulous' because that is what it is going to be -- totally fabulous."

Mayka will showcase about a dozen students from SU and the State University of New York College of Environmental Sciences and Forestry at 8 p.m. in Goldstein Auditorium. Phi Kappa Psi and Alpha Xi Delta will both have at least one member moonlighting as a drag queen and king that night.

"We want to get as many groups on campus together," said Mayka, a Rochester native. "We're trying to break down the stereotypes of greek life as being homophobic and to break gender norms."

Plans for the show began when Mayka and friend Thomas Smalley, her hairdresser from home, decided to organize an AIDS awareness event. Smalley, a drag queen himself, is particularly active in advocacy groups, having organized several drag shows in the past to raise money for AIDS prevention. He will also appear in a VH1 "Dragumentary" to be aired in April.

Mayka approached Matt Ward, a junior interior design major and president of Pride Union. The two joined efforts and ideas and "Totally Fabulous" became reality. Pride Union is a student group for SU's gay, bisexual, lesbian and transgendered community.

Fraternity and sorority members are often perceived as intolerant of the GLBT community and involving them in the show will help greeks overcome that reputation, Mayka said.

"There are many stereotypes that exist now and notions about the AIDS/HIV virus itself that need to be broken," Mayka said.

The show's organizers intend to break these stereotypes and to also inform students about the resources available at SU, including free AIDS/HIV testing and counseling services in the event a student is infected.

"The show strikes a personal chord with many of the participants," Mayka said.

The drag contest took a greek twist when Mayka, a member of SU's AIDS Task Force, proposed the idea to Alpha Xi Delta's Erica Lazarow, also on the task force.

Lazarow said Alpha Xi Delta would be very responsive to the idea and would even participate. Phi Kappa Psi later joined in support.

Phi Kappa Psi's Brian Hickel, a sophomore chemical engineering major, volunteered to receive a full drag makeover during the show

"I'm going into it with an open mind," Hickel said. "But I'm a little worried about these rumors with what could happen to my leg hair."

What does Hickel's girlfriend have to say about the grooming? "She's supportive of the AIDS movement and she's really excited to watch," Hickel said.

Alpha Xi Delta's Allison Monti, a junior interior design major, will also don drag -- an act that may help end some of the stereotyping plaguing the greek community, Monti said.

For those who think dressing drag is out of the norm, Mayka doesn't hesitate to name renowned actors who have dressed in such during their careers including Tom Hanks in "Bosom Buddies" and Robin Willliams in "Mrs. Doubtfire."

Mayka said she hopes the event continues next year with even more greek involvement.

Tickets are available at the Schine Box Office. They cost $4 for SU students with identification, $6 for non-SU students and $7 over the phone. Proceeds will be donated to local and Rochester-based AIDS groups. Pride Union will also use the money to fund its Rainbow Banquet in April.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry Grow Up

Hoosier,

I'm getting REALLY tired of you adding your 2 bit comments about African Americans everytime you post an article, .

Please be mature about it and quit hiding behind that guise of "I'm just commenting on some article". If you have something to say..... say it or STFU!.

And finally, IF the local GBLT community finds this offensive, I am sure they will let someone on the campus know.

Last edited by Honeykiss1974; 02-25-2003 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

No, it's just his way in saying he wants some chocolate in his milk.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 02-25-2003, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Every year my chapter held a Miss-ter Western Pageant. It was basically a bunch of fraternity guys dressing in girls clothes. We had a formal round, a letters wear round, a casual round and a talent portion. It was a huge joke... everyone laughed and had fun. It was the only pageant all the girls had more fun at than the guys! Seriously!
One guy brought a live chicken and did the chicken dance for his talents, another guy sang "Natural Woman" but it was all in fun. Sororities sponsored guys, fraternities sponsored brothers...
We raised tons of money for Diabetes research and everyone had a good laugh.
As for the GLB Community- we never had any objections and we kept this event open to everyone, greek or not.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

As for it being offensive... How? As far as blackface goes the objection occurs because of the historical context in which it originated. THIS has no history. Until some group claims that it marginilizes them I fail to see what is objectionable.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-25-2003, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Grow Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974
And finally, IF the local GBLT community finds this offensive, I am sure they will let someone on the campus know.
I doubt the local GBLT community has a problem with this, since according to the article they helped sponsor the event as an AIDS prevention fundraiser.

What boggles my mind is that it is so hard for some educated people to see the difference between something like this and wearing black-face to a private party. It has absolutely nothing to do with political correctness or with vast left-wing conspiracies. It has to do with context (as ktsnake points out), with common sense and with common courtesy.

Simply put, a gentleman never makes fun of, belittles or seeks to offend other people. Never. Period. If he does so unintentionally, he apologizes and tries to avoid doing it again -- whether he thinks the offended party is overreacting or not -- because a gentleman puts the feelings of others before his own feelings. Silly me. I thought that is part of what our fraternities try to teach us.