GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,131
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, Yodap
» Online Users: 1,321
2 members and 1,319 guests
navane, Yodap

Old 10-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Deal Breakers?

Looking at one of the other threads, I saw someone comment on something that would have been a deal breaker with me. Is there anything that you noticed during Recruitment about a GLO - no matter how silly - that made you less likely to consider it?

I'll admit, I was completely turned off by pins with skulls & crossbones on them!
Old 10-07-2008, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

One group was all blonde. I'm a blonde, but it weirded me out.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Banned

I didn't go through NPC recruitment, but if I had...an organization that embraced Jefferson Davis as an honorary member would not have appealed to me.
________
Iolite butane safety

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I had a hard time picking which one of two groups to cut. I ended up cutting the group that didn't make paddles for each other. My first memory of greek life was looking at my older sister's paddle, and I really wanted one too.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 10-07-2008, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
one group was all blonde except two girls and they were all dressed in black. it just kind of creeped me out.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Now, Phi Mu...no offense, but at 17, I HATED Pink! I like it now, but at that age, there was no way in hell I was gonna run around in pink all the time! I really liked the Phi Mus at my school...they were good girls. Just too pink! Ha!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 10-07-2008, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

One group was all brunettes and that was too weird for this blonde
Old 10-07-2008, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
It came down to pref night and had been invited back to all the houses from the night before. I had my first choice for sure, and equally liked 2, definitely wasn't interested in the 4th.

I put my first choice down, and decided in between the next 2 because one was all blondes and the other was all brunettes. I went with brunette since that's what I am.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
One of the really popular chapters was just too big for me. It didn't help that their philanthropy night was in a small room with tiles. All the noise was bouncing off the walls! Also, I knew they were smaller nationally (I had done a lot of homework) and that just didn't appeal to me. Even though I heard amazing things about their new member program I just was not meant to be there and I knew it. But they are still amazing ladies! (And still just as large a chapter!)
Old 10-07-2008, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was talking to two members of a sorority during the information night, one of the girls said "I don't talk to anyone in XYZ, in fact I don't have any friends there. I guess I should talk to them, but I have no interest."

Ummm..yeah you don't tell that to a PNM. That pretty much soured me on that sorority.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

"We don't raise as much money for our philanthropy thing like other sororities do, but we give them funner (sic) activities to do."

Was it the "philanthropy thing", the "funner" or the actual contents of the sentence?
Old 10-07-2008, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

One group had too many girls with False Eyelashes. Even though I wear makeup, it's very natural. The falsies wierded me out.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

There was one sorority where all the members I met had tongue rings. It was a trend back then and lots of girls had them, including sorority women. However, it just seemed like EVERY single girl in that chapter was pierced and it really weirded me out. Not like I thought I'd have to get my tongue pierced if I joined. Just not my cup of tea. Other than that, they were really nice, fun girls...

PS: Later on, many sororities on my campus adopted a policy that you had to replace your piercing with a flesh colored ring or remove it entirely during recruitment. I guess more than one PNM noticed!
Old 10-08-2008, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

opposite...

...my story is kind of the opposite. I kept a smaller chapter over a "better" chapter becuase I heard they served ice cream floats day two...yummy!
Old 10-08-2008, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

It was my first semester sophomore year and I had a new RA who was a member of a sorority. She asked me a couple times to attend some recruitment parties, but I couldn’t go to the first two that her sorority held. She told me that there were still another two weeks of recruitment left, so I figured that with that much time, and at least five more events coming up for each sorority, if I did actually decide to go to some events, I still had plenty of time to do so.

Early the following week, either on Monday or Tuesday night, I was sitting in my dorm room. I was on my computer, and it was probably close to 1 a.m. My door was cracked a bit and the lights were off, as I had just come in from hanging out with friends, and I was about to get up to go to the bathroom to get ready for bed. Then my dorm room door opens and someone comes in. I assumed it was one of my roommates so I didn’t think too much of it, and I kept my back to the door and to the rest of the room while I continued to look at my computer screen.

Then I realized that this person simply walked in and plopped themselves down on a bed without turning on the lights, without saying a word, without changing into some pjs, or doing any other normal things that people usually do between the time they enter a room and get into bed. I turn around to find that someone is sleeping in my bed! (I sound like Goldilocks! haha)

I get up to see who it is, and it turns out it’s my RA. She was drunk and she walked into the wrong room and laid herself down on the wrong bed. What’s even more ridiculous is that my room was on the complete opposite end of the hall from where hers was. Clearly she was incredibly lost... and incredibly hammered.

I then had to wake her up, take her to her room, get her some water, and put her to bed.

The next day when I saw her, I asked her if she was ok. I reminded her of what happened and she kinda laughed and said, “oh,” and basically just walked away. She continued to ask me to go to recruitment events, and was completely surprised when I joined another sorority.

DEFINITELY a deal breaker for me!

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 10-08-2008 at 04:20 PM.