GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,081
1 members and 1,080 guests
Sarak24034

Old 08-02-2000, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Recruitment Advice/Frustrations

Hey all =)

I'm the secretary of a brand-new local at my university. We started in April (horrible timing but...) and at one point had 12 members. We had some commitment issues, and now are down to 5, although we have some prospectives coming to see us in the fall. It is really frustrating...

Some of the sisters, including myself, went through formal rush and got bids (though not from 1st choices). But we didn't feel we found what we were looking for in the nationals already established on campus. We didn't like KNOWING that we were fun, cute, and smart yet having our confidence and self-esteem stripped away during rush because we weren't bleach blonde and super-trendy.

Theta Sig is VERY diverse. Part of what made me stay after meeting the Prez was the fact that although there were only 4 of us at the interest meeting, none of us were the same ethnicity AND there was fantastic group chemistry. But it seems that a lot of people who came out and joined only did so b/c they didn't have to rush. They didn't see us as a 'real' sorority, and didn't want to be obligated to make any time commitment or do any work.

We put flyers up around campus, and will continue to do so. Since Pan-Hel didn't let us invite a national on campus to organize, we don't have to abide by their rules (although eventually we want to affiliate w/ a national. We're shooting to hold a formal rush in Spring '01, but until then we're going to 'absorb' new members by posting flyers and inviting prospects to sit in on meetings. If everyone gets along, and they're still interested, they're in.

We're looking for ambitious, fun, crazy, accepting people. A lot of people are turned off by the fact that we're so tiny right now and that we're not a "real" (aka established) sorority. How do we encourage people to join, and then get them to stay? I believe in Theta Sig and love my sisters, but we need some good PR...

------------------
Amanda M.
Secretary
Theta Sigma Alpha,Towson
Universit
Old 08-02-2000, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to prospectiverushee
Cool

Hey Amanda,

I was just looking at your webpage about two seconds ago. I hope that everything works out for you. You sound like you have a fabulous organization. If I were a student at your school, I would check it out.

Anyway, lots of luck to you. Feel free to email me if you want to chat. You can get the address from my profile.

Best wishes,

prospectiverushee
Old 08-03-2000, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to prospectiverushee
Question

Do you think it's better to start a local or try to bring a chapter of a national to your campus?

The reason why I'm asking is because I know so people who are trying to bring a chapter of a national to LSU and am wondering if it's easier to start a local first.
Old 08-03-2000, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Prospective rushee:

Here's what I would reccommend:

- If you have a group of people together, that's a plus.

- Research nationals that aren't on your campus. Pick one or a few faves.

- Take whoever you've rounded up (even if it's just you) in front of NPC and ask them if they'll invite or let you invite your top choice or any of your runners-up to establish a colony on campus.

- If the answer is NO, then you should consider putting together a local.

------------------
Amanda M.
Secretary
Theta Sigma Alpha,Towson
University
Old 08-04-2000, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Tiara98,

Wow, I can relate to the growing pains! Feel free to email me, if you'd like to talk more about this. Things will work out!

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 08-06-2000, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello ladies,
Well this is interesting. I'm not sure what you all should do: either start a local or charter a national to your campuses. Well as for me, I'm a part of a multicultural org and we currently have 5 chapters. We're not really national, more like regional (we're in Indiana, Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin). But I guess we are still considered national b/c we have chapters in different states. Anyway, I'm a founder of my chapter at UofMich and we are gearing up for Rush this Fall. As far as ideas for getting women to join, I say the best thing to do is to present yourself as real and as yourselves as possible. After we got our chapter status, we held an informational meeting and from that we gained a following of interested ladies. When we asked them why they were interesetd in our org, the responses ranged from "you guys are just open, nice, you keep it real, etc" to "I like the fact that you all are multicultural and diverse and you are accepting of everyone's individuality". All my sisters and I did was be ourselves. So that's the best advice I can give everyone that is looking to recruit this Fall. Also, just try to advertise your butts off! We have a website and for all of our events, we just really try to advertise in every way that we can. I wish you all good luck this coming school year. Just keep your heads up, I'm sure things will work out!
Old 08-11-2000, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Red face

Hey ZChi..
you can delete your posts when you do that!! (I've done it myself ) You knows those little icons at the top of each reply (I think there are 4 of them).. one is edit/delete message. Since you are registered you can go back and edit your posts, or delete them if you accidentally post something more than once!

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 08-12-2000, 08:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks SilverTurtle! I figured that out a few days ago but never came back to fix my mistake.