GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Community Service / Philanthropy

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 856
1 members and 855 guests
No Members online

Old 09-19-2005, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

A D Pi Holds Cornhole Tournament for Fundraiser

A D Pi Holds Cornhole Tournament for Fundraiser
By Maggie Fennell
Published: Monday, September 19, 2005
©2005 Kernel Press
(The University of Kentucky)

Haggin Field will be overflowing with cornhole players and fans September 22 for an Alpha Delta Pi fundraiser.

Greek or not, everyone is encouraged to participate. Last year over 300 students participated in the tournament raising $970.00 for the Ronald McDonald House.

"It was a great success last year, a way for us to earn money for our philanthropy and meet students across campus. It was a wonderful chance for a lot of people to step up," said Erin Mallory, ADPs philanthropy chair. "We're hoping to increase sponsorship and raise three times the amount of money we made last year. People can give straight donations if they don't want to play. Our primary focus is the Ronald McDonald House, but we want everyone to have fun too!"

The $10.00 entry fee will benefit the Ronald McDonald House again this year. The RMH is a nation wide organization that provides housing for families who have ill children in need of daily hospital care for weeks or months at a time.

It costs approximately $7.00 for each family to stay the night, shower, relax and eat meals at the house. Because the cost to stay at the RMH is so low, it functions primarily on donations.

Registration will be at the ADP house on the corner of Rose Street and Columbia at any time before the event or outside of the classroom building on Sept. 14 or Sept. 20 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Make sure to bring some extra cash for tee-shirts that will be available for $11.00. All entry forms are due by noon Wednesday, Sept. 21.

Cornhole is similar to the game of horseshoes but involves the use of beanbags and two wooden boards with holes in the middle that are placed 30 feet apart. Each team consists of two players, one next to each board. Players receive three points for tossing the beanbag into the hole and one point for getting the bag on the board. The first team to reach 21 points wins.

Don't forget, B.Y.O.B. Bring your own board and be creative in decorating it! The cornhole champions will receive a prize basket including a Tubby Smith signed basketball, a DVD player, gift certificates and much more. The winners of the board decorating contest will receive a $100 cash prize. Come out and help support the Ronald McDonald House, and have fun too!
Old 09-19-2005, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry, but this was the first thing I thought of when I read the title:

Old 09-19-2005, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil' Hannah
I'm sorry, but this was the first thing I thought of when I read the title:

ROTFLMAO!

Maybe the winner should be crowned The Great Cornholio!
Old 09-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Umm.... I guess I'm not the only one who has only heard one definition of that word, and it's not exactly... ladylike?
Old 09-19-2005, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm happy to know I wasn't the only one thinking of Beavis & Butthead.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Cornhole is something that is really big in Cincinnati and when my boyfriend from Indianapolis came for my graduation party he was quite confused. My cousin asked him if he wanted to play cornhole and the bf thought my cousin was being disgusting. The bf still doesn't get why Cincinnatians call bean bag toss cornhole (bags of corn kernels thrown into a hole!)

Just an FYI...but yeah it does sound pretty gross.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Girl, great minds were thinking alike!

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
Umm.... I guess I'm not the only one who has only heard one definition of that word, and it's not exactly... ladylike?
Old 09-19-2005, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

My, this thread derailed quickly!

So while we're on the subject, given that B&B made an appearance on the VMA's do you think they'll make a comeback on MTv?

Anyway, kudos to the chapter who held this event!
Old 09-19-2005, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
Anyway, kudos to the chapter who held this event!
The Beta Psi Chapter of Alpha Delta Pi [The University of Kentucky] is located at the corner of Columbia and Rose Street. Our mascot is the Lion and our colors are azure blue and white. We support The Ronald McDonald House, by cooking weekly dinners, collecting aluminum can tabs and sponsoring a campus wide Cornhole Tournament. Last year we also helped Sigma Phi Epsilon host a 3v3 basketball tournament to raise money for Youth AIDS. The 184 sisters of our chapter have enjoyed many accomplishments in the past year [2004-2005] including an intramural flag football championship and best overall grades in all the NPC sororities on campus. This past summer [2005], we were named one of the top eight Alpha Delta Pi chapters in the nation with the recognition of the Golden Lion status. We also received other awards such as Excellence in Recruitment, Panhellenic, New Member Education and Scholarship.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
You mean for a body part, right? I was openmouthed when I read the name of the thread, trying to imagine what it was about!
Old 06-25-2007, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaNuHX766
First of all, I'm very glad you weren't having a Cornhole Tournament involving Cornholing... That'd be on par with some weird stuff I've heard from friends overseas in the US Navy. You'd be amazed what they'll put on stage in some countries.

Good idea for a fundraiser!
--Since 1869--
S N E T T
Old 08-01-2007, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Phikapskull
Cornhole

Haha yeah that game is definitely a northern midwest thing... played it at possibly every high school grad party i ever went to in WI, but down here in the south that has a much different connotation!