GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 315,159
Threads: 115,636
Posts: 2,171,627
Welcome to our newest member, anntcahvsay564
» Online Users: 245
0 members and 245 guests
No Members online
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-07-2012, 02:11 PM
elballz12 elballz12 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Alabama Rush

I am currently at a Community College in Alabama and plan on attending the U of A in fall of 13. I will be 20 and plan on rushing. Could this hurt my chances of getting a bid? I go to most of the home games and know a lot of people already down there just most of the guys didn't pledge. I know the fraternity chooses you but just want some suggestion on what the upper tier fraternities are. I want to pledge in somewhat of a big house but not just have house dues out the @$$. Please give me some suggestions and if you know how much some of the dues are let me know
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-07-2012, 02:32 PM
DubaiSis DubaiSis is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Back in the Heartland
Posts: 5,388
Nobody here is going to tell you about chapter tiers. As far as the money, maybe you can get that information from the Greek life office at U of A. I know the sororities usually publish costs (dues, initiation fees, live-in costs, etc.), but I don't know if the fraternities make a policy of that.
__________________
"Traveling - It leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller. ~ Ibn Battuta
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-07-2012, 02:44 PM
HQWest HQWest is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by elballz12 View Post
I am currently at a Community College in Alabama and plan on attending the U of A in fall of 13. I will be 20 and plan on rushing. Could this hurt my chances of getting a bid? I go to most of the home games and know a lot of people already down there just most of the guys didn't pledge. I know the fraternity chooses you but just want some suggestion on what the upper tier fraternities are. I want to pledge in somewhat of a big house but not just have house dues out the @$$. Please give me some suggestions and if you know how much some of the dues are let me know
I think you already know the answer to your own question. If you know a lot of people at Alabama, but just most of them didn't pledge, then you need to be talking to the ones that DID pledge. They are the best people to help you. Since they are the ones you know, those are the chapters that are really your options. If you don't know them well enough to ask them what they pay in dues a semester - then they don't you well enough to want to invite you to move into their house. If you don't know them at all, why would they want to ask you to pledge? So if you don't like your current options, you will have to get on out there and meet some people - but it is a lot less likely to be a real possibility.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-07-2012, 02:51 PM
elballz12 elballz12 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
I looked on the website and their wasn't anything. I didn't think they would. My friends that are in fraternities and sorties aren't allowed to persuade me where to rush at. It sucks but its apart of the brotherhood
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-07-2012, 02:53 PM
knight_shadow knight_shadow is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,126
Lol @ sorties

"Dirty rush" rules don't really apply to fraternities, so I'm not sure where you're getting that information. You get into a fraternity by getting to know the members enough for them to want you to join.

You need to talk to people in real life.

Good luck.
__________________
*does side bends and sit-ups*
*doesn't lose butt*

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-07-2012, 02:54 PM
DeltaBetaBaby DeltaBetaBaby is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ILL-INI
Posts: 7,176
Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by elballz12 View Post
I looked on the website and their wasn't anything. I didn't think they would. My friends that are in fraternities and sorties aren't allowed to persuade me where to rush at. It sucks but its apart of the brotherhood
You have friends who are telling you not to rush their houses?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-07-2012, 03:28 PM
AlphaFrog AlphaFrog is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: The Ozdust Ballroom
Posts: 14,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by elballz12 View Post
I looked on the website and their wasn't anything. I didn't think they would. My friends that are in fraternities and sorties aren't allowed to persuade me where to rush at. It sucks but its apart of the brotherhood
IF you ever make it to Bama, pledge the library.
__________________
Facile remedium est ubertati; sterilia nullo labore vincuntur.
I think pearls are lovely, especially when you need something to clutch. ~ AzTheta
The Real World Can't Hear You ~ GC Troll
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-07-2012, 03:32 PM
elballz12 elballz12 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
I think you already know the answer to your own question. If you know a lot of people at Alabama, but just most of them didn't pledge, then you need to be talking to the ones that DID pledge. They are the best people to help you. Since they are the ones you know, those are the chapters that are really your options. If you don't know them well enough to ask them what they pay in dues a semester - then they don't you well enough to want to invite you to move into their house. If you don't know them at all, why would they want to ask you to pledge? So if you don't like your current options, you will have to get on out there and meet some people - but it is a lot less likely to be a real possibility.
The one that did pledge isn't a a very good fraternity. they don't have big parties, not a big house, not my kind of people. The times I have tried to go to the parties with some friends they wouldn't let me in because I didn't go to Bama and wasn't in a fraternity. I thought it was kinda stupid... They just told me that they can't tell me to join the fraternity it has to be my choice
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-07-2012, 04:39 PM
DZsis&mom DZsis&mom is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by elballz12 View Post
The one that did pledge isn't a a very good fraternity. they don't have big parties, not a big house, not my kind of people. The times I have tried to go to the parties with some friends they wouldn't let me in because I didn't go to Bama and wasn't in a fraternity. I thought it was kinda stupid... They just told me that they can't tell me to join the fraternity it has to be my choice

My Best advise to you at this point would be to:

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-07-2012, 06:48 PM
fascination fascination is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
IF you ever make it to Bama, pledge the library.
Where IS that "LIKE" button????
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-07-2012, 09:14 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 34,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by elballz12 View Post
They just told me that they can't tell me to join the fraternity it has to be my choice
Translation: They do not want you to join.

If as you've said, this is one of the "lower tier" fraternities, I think your shot at Greek life at Bama is very small.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-07-2012, 11:03 PM
AnchorAlumna AnchorAlumna is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Old South
Posts: 2,828
Not letting you into their party might also have been due to the restrictions of their insurance policy, university regulations, policies and restrictions of their national...you don't know.
Neither do we.
Point is...with fraternities, you can't pledge where they don't know you. Get out there and meet some people.
That is all.
__________________


Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 02-08-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-08-2012, 01:45 PM
itb2a itb2a is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 19
1. Seeing 'Elba' in your username combined with 'community college' and 'Alabama' gives away a lot of info you might not want to have in a forum, particularly if you are slamming on someone's fraternity and asking who are the 'top tier' ones. Might not be a good idea...if I can figure this out, so can anyone at Alabama.

2. Perhaps you should check with any male relatives to see if they have any fraternal connection...if not, then look at Alabama's IFC website for more info.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-08-2012, 05:23 PM
LXA SE285 LXA SE285 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 732
Quote:
Seeing 'Elba' in your username combined with 'community college' and 'Alabama' gives away a lot of info you might not want to have in a forum
I read it as "El Ballz 12."
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Ghostwriter Ghostwriter is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: West of East Central North Carolina
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by elballz12 View Post
I looked on the website and their wasn't anything. I didn't think they would. My friends that are in fraternities and sorties aren't allowed to persuade me where to rush at. It sucks but its apart of the brotherhood
I went to the IFC website and it was very good. One can click on the name of the Fraternity and see a picture of the house and membership etc. They have the names of the President and Rush Chairman with contact info. There are 27 Fraternities listed and I believe all but 2 or 3 have houses. Membership runs from 28 to 150 members so one should be able to find a Fraternity that fits your personality if you and they are so inclined. You can join a large Fraternity with all the positives of this membership or join a small Fraternity with all the positives they offer. Bigger or smaller is not necessarily better. Just different.

I say all this but ultimately they have to want you and you have to want them. It is a 2 way street but both ways must meet in order for it to work There is no guarantee of a bid from a Fraternity or that you will accept a bid if it is given.
__________________
A fool and his money are soon elected. - Will Rogers
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unsuccessful fall rush at Alabama, questions about possible spring rush. Advice? Bamarushee Sorority Recruitment 58 08-23-2010 12:47 AM
SPRING RUSH AT ALABAMA?? AOII BAMA MOM Sorority Recruitment 51 09-16-2007 09:04 PM
University of Alabama rush!! LauGh A Lot Recruitment 52 12-13-2004 01:13 PM
Alabama Rush leesek Recruitment Stories 2 08-22-2004 04:22 PM
Rush at Alabama unregistered1 Recruitment 24 09-25-2001 12:29 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.