GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,765
2 members and 1,763 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 07-19-2012, 02:07 AM
GreekChat Member

If you are in a chapter and think/know that a rushee is very young, I would be very careful to make sure she is mature enough to handle the massive load of responsibilities and change she has in front of her. If you know the rushee, I would suggest she spend some quality time with herself considering this topic for herself. She may be completely stoked to jump right into college life, but it is a lot of change very fast. That's not to say she can't handle it, just that she should consider what all this is going to mean before she potentially damages her reputation when more than likely she could wait a year and pledge as a sophomore when she understands what it takes to live in a dorm, attend classes without Mom waking you up, doing homework without being nagged to, eat on schedule and heathfully, dating without chaperones (or Mom watching the clock), etc. If she can do it, then great, why not!
Old 07-19-2012, 03:56 AM
GreekChat Member

My cousin was 17 when she accepted her bid to Delta Zeta 4 years ago. Her 18th birthday was only a few weeks after recruitment, but I vaguely recall that her mother had to sign some of the early paperwork. Housing was also not an option at her university. But, that was 4 years ago and I've slept since then, so I may be wrong.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 07-19-2012, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
If you are in a chapter and think/know that a rushee is very young, I would be very careful to make sure she is mature enough to handle the massive load of responsibilities and change she has in front of her. If you know the rushee, I would suggest she spend some quality time with herself considering this topic for herself. She may be completely stoked to jump right into college life, but it is a lot of change very fast. That's not to say she can't handle it, just that she should consider what all this is going to mean before she potentially damages her reputation when more than likely she could wait a year and pledge as a sophomore when she understands what it takes to live in a dorm, attend classes without Mom waking you up, doing homework without being nagged to, eat on schedule and heathfully, dating without chaperones (or Mom watching the clock), etc. If she can do it, then great, why not!
How is that any different when someone is 17 or 18? If a woman skipped ahead when she was young, she has been with an older peer group her entire life, and has been coping with an increasing level of responsibility in her life every year. There's not some magical difference when you have a 18th birthday that suddenly makes you an adult.

This isn't to say I wasn't an immature asshole at 16, but rather that maturity is not strictly correlated with age. Ask any straight woman in her 20's who's trying to find a husband.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
This isn't to say I wasn't an immature asshole at 16, but rather that maturity is not strictly correlated with age. Ask any straight woman in her 20's who's trying to find a husband.
I'm sorry - this made me LOL!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Age isn't necessarily tied to maturity, but it helps. A person would argue the same thing with 17 and 18 year olds but that's why rush is thorough, or should be anyway. And that lack of maturity is why some girls get into lots of trouble in their freshman year. Presumably if a girl is sharp enough to be starting college at 16 she's got a grasp of all this, but I still contend that you should be more aware of a heightened need for social guidance.

And we all know that 25 in boy years is about 15 in girl years.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Age isn't necessarily tied to maturity, but it helps. A person would argue the same thing with 17 and 18 year olds but that's why rush is thorough, or should be anyway. And that lack of maturity is why some girls get into lots of trouble in their freshman year. Presumably if a girl is sharp enough to be starting college at 16 she's got a grasp of all this, but I still contend that you should be more aware of a heightened need for social guidance.

And we all know that 25 in boy years is about 15 in girl years.
I just think that you need to balance the potential immaturity with the fact that most of these women are extremely bright and may contribute to the chapter in a lot of other ways. You don't get to college at 16 by being average (is my bias showing yet???).
Old 07-20-2012, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I just think that you need to balance the potential immaturity with the fact that most of these women are extremely bright and may contribute to the chapter in a lot of other ways. You don't get to college at 16 by being average (is my bias showing yet???).
I'll agree with that. My husband was in med school at 17. Was he the most mature thing in the world? No, but he was far more mature than any other 17 year old you could conjure. I was 17 when I pledged AOII...now this was 19 years ago in August, but my parents did not have to sign anything for me. They didn't have to sign for my sister, either, who pledged at 17.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-20-2012, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
One of my pledge sisters was 14. She was in a special program for gifted students. I knew she lived in the dorm where they were housed, but so did a lot of other women. We found out about this the evening of initiation...she mentioned it in passing and we were all really surprised. The pledge director and her asst. were shocked...a last minute call was made to IH, but it was after business hours. She was initiated.
holy crap
Old 07-20-2012, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I believe there were a couple fraternity men who would have had the same thought, had they known....

When I say the pledge director and her asst. were shocked, I'm saying that you could practically see the wheels turning as they recollected all the mixers, fraternity parties, etc. she'd been to all semester. They were very concerned.

I have always wondered whether she is our youngest initiate.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the discussion. There are some schools (well, at least one) that mandate a minimum age for living on campus/in the dorms, and I am aware that the same cutoff could extend to Greek housing.

Regardless of minimum age requirements, even for the most mature students, 16 is quite young to take on living away/alone, and taking a full course load, and possibly working, and pledging. The difference between 16 and 17 or between 17 and 18 isn't always that big, but the difference between 16 and 18 can be.

Thanks again! You've brought up some great points that I can pass on to the interested party.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:24 PM

Re the 14 year old: I take it that it wasn't obvious physically that she was 14? I doubt any guys would have been in trouble though, as they could argue that her not disclosing her age to y'all amounted to fraud. (Not that I think that, but that's probably where a lawyer would go.)
Old 07-20-2012, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

She looked like a regular freshman...not 14. I don't think anything went far enough to involve The Law, but I do recall her making her out with a guy at a Lambda Chi Alpha party shortly before initiation, and that visual was the first thing that popped into my mind when she revealed her age.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

It's been several decades since my time, but surely we put our month/date and YEAR of birth on rush registration forms and sorority forms.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

I'm wondering if anyone really pays attention to the birthdate on a recruitment form.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I'm wondering if anyone really pays attention to the birthdate on a recruitment form.
They didn't pay attention to mine - both houses where I preffed were unsure if I could receive a bid, due to my age. I got "the call" to see if my parents would sign for me to accept a bid!