GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 849
2 members and 847 guests
g41965, Sarak24034

Old 05-20-2014, 03:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Question HELP

Let's say I have a 2.98 unweighted GPA and a 3.64 GPA weighted because I solely took AP's all through high school. What are my chances of getting into a sorority?
Old 05-20-2014, 03:08 AM
GreekChat Member

We can't tell you your specific chances - too many variables. I will say that generally speaking, it's the unweighted GPA that is considered, and you are definitely at the low end. You'll be competing with other PNMs who also have AP courses on their transcripts, but their GPAs will be considerably higher than yours (unweighted AND weighted). This is coming from many years of direct experience with recruitment.

As you'll see from other threads on this topic, you need to go through recruitment with an open mind. Prepare yourself ahead of time (including letters of recommendation). Be able to accept that you may face heavy cuts and that the chapter(s) you think you want, may not want you. Do search through the Recruitment forum, and read all the stickied posts.

That said, do your best, and good luck!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-20-2014, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by as123 View Post
Let's say I have a 2.98 unweighted GPA and a 3.64 GPA weighted because I solely took AP's all through high school. What are my chances of getting into a sorority?
I would add that you may be subject to some automatic cuts. There will be a minimum GPA to rush, but then individual chapters have their own standards.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:19 AM
GreekChat Member

If your school is one that requires recommendations, I would ask your rec writers to add some notes about the rigor of your studies. It may not help you, but it certainly can't hurt you.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by as123 View Post
Is that possible? How many of your actual high school classes were AP?

Framing it as "solely" and "all through high school" gives the impression that a really high percentage of your classes (90%? 95%?) were AP-level.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:09 AM

"solely" implies 100% of her classes were AP. (Had to pik the nit.)
Old 05-20-2014, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
"solely" implies 100% of her classes were AP. (Had to pik the nit.)
Yeah, I know, but it's impossible that 100% of her classes were AP. I assumed that she was generalizing and so I asked how close to "all" did she actually take as AP.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know how she could have possibly taken all AP classes throughout high school. Freshmen don't take AP classes. If her school has a PE requirement, those aren't AP, right? Sooo...methinks she's exaggerating.

True and Constant
Old 05-20-2014, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
I don't know how she could have possibly taken all AP classes throughout high school. Freshmen don't take AP classes. If her school has a PE requirement, those aren't AP, right? Sooo...methinks she's exaggerating.
Actually my county (Montgomery County Maryland) puts a large percentage of the High School Freshmen into AP US History. My son was placed in there originally and then transferred to a regular US History class because he couldn't stand the teacher. (He's since admitted that it was him not the teacher.). He actually took 8 AP classes and 9 AP exams during High school (Physics has two separate exams).

But you figure that at some schools with the concept of weighted GPA, it is one more point for a non-failing AP *or honors* class. The difference of .66 between weighted and non-weighted would mean that about 2/3 of the classes are AP/Honors which *is* within the realm of possibility.

(This other option is that Honors/AP classes are 25% more, so an Honors B is 3.75 rather than 4, but that complicates the math)

BTW, why the heck is this in the Greek History Forum?
Old 05-20-2014, 05:42 PM

AP classes are stupid.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Honors ≠ AP. One cannot take 90% AP classes throughout high school as one can only get credit for the same course once, and I am assuming that the OP had to take more than one year of English, etc.

I'm curious about that GPA and remaining in that level of courses. When my accelerated students are getting C's, I generally recommend they move down to a more appropriate level of rigor.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 05-20-2014, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post
Honors ≠ AP. One cannot take 90% AP classes throughout high school as one can only get credit for the same course once, and I am assuming that the OP had to take more than one year of English, etc.

I'm curious about that GPA and remaining in that level of courses. When my accelerated students are getting C's, I generally recommend they move down to a more appropriate level of rigor.
This times a million. I got a 78 in Honors Geometry freshman year of high school for a variety of reasons, but the end result was that I stayed in the next level down of difficulty for the rest of high school. I would much rather get As and Bs in lower-level courses than struggle in more challenging ones. While it doesn't look good to take all general-level courses solely for the sake of getting high grades/GPA/what have you, the converse isn't much better.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
This times a million. I got a 78 in Honors Geometry freshman year of high school for a variety of reasons, but the end result was that I stayed in the next level down of difficulty for the rest of high school. I would much rather get As and Bs in lower-level courses than struggle in more challenging ones. While it doesn't look good to take all general-level courses solely for the sake of getting high grades/GPA/what have you, the converse isn't much better.
Amen! I transferred into a nationally ranked magnet school as an OOS Sophomore from a private school. A=4.4, B=3.3, C=2.2, D=1.1, you had to maintain a 2.25 to remain enrolled. My parents wondered where my mostly A/ occasional B average went.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:33 PM

My HS weighted AP classes with a lot less weight. It was more like .005 than the .5 that seems to be common in many schools. Now that I think about, you had to get a 4 on the AP test to get the weight too. I got 3s so it didn't impact me.