GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,157
4 members and 2,153 guests
aaidativanovoz6, KSigkid, oncegreek

Old 06-14-2013, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Question How many of you have a "mid-years" convention and or a yearly convention/chapter?

In my fraternity we have at least one mid years convention, sometimes 2, depending upon where it is geographically since we are a national Fraternity. We also have a yearly summer "chapter" which is like a convention where all chapters send at least one representative. I found these to be pretty interesting and a good time, actually a lot more than I expected.

My question is, how many other organizations do the same thing or something similar?

I'd really like to know if your organization has the same or similar practices and if so, could you explain them a little?

For us, the mid-years is usually a 2-3 night convention at a pretty decent hotel with various activities during the day and then meals as well. I'm not to sure about the supreme chapter in the summer, but it is usually more dedicated to doing something (sometimes building for a local organization) or something like that.

So, if you could name your organization, and what kind of things you do, I'd really like to get to know what others do!!! Thanks a lot!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-14-2013, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

AOIIS has convention in odd years at random locations,Mathis year it's Chicago. during even years in the summer we have Leadership Institute in Tennessee near IHQ. It's nearly as well attended as Convention, but no fraternity business occurs at this event. In February every year, we also have Leadership Academy for Chapter Presidents, Chapter Advisers, Alumnae Presidents and any other designated officer for that particular go around. It is a weekend event at IHQ with educational programming that is always well received by attendees. I've been to Convention and LI but not LA.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-14-2013, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Delta Gamma has biennial conventions in even numbered years and it moves around the country. Next year it will be in Phoenix. In the odd numbered years we have OTS (Officer Training Seminar) for all Council/Cabinet/Foundation officers in Columbus, OH where our Executive Offices are located. In February of each year there is another meeting - usually in Columbus also - for certain collegiate chapter offices and advisers (it can change from year to as to which officers are required to come). We have also started having a joint alumnae president, House Corporation officer, and Advisory Team Chairman training in April of some years. The first one was in 2009 and we held one this year.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Where do they usually hold these meetings, at hotels, convention centers or is there some private venue that is utilized?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

At hotels. Our conventions usually have about 900 in attendance. And we need 2 large ballrooms set up continually for General Sessions and meals throughout the course of the Convention as well as smaller rooms for breakout sessions. Those could be as many as a dozen or so. The seminars about 300-400 depending and don't need as many rooms but does need a decent sized facility. Our in house facility at EO only holds 15 so only Council meetings and boards, small groups meet there.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Phi Epsilon holds Grand Chapter Conclave every 2 years on odd numbered years. Every chapter sends a delegate and an alternate. Any and all SigEps are encouraged to attend, though. Conclave is in a different location every year at a large resort. This year, it's at the Gaylord Texan near Dallas, TX.

SigEp also holds Carlson Leadership Academies every Winter. These are basically leadership training camps for the undergraduate executive board and any other alumni, volunteers, and undergrads that would like or need training. But, they also have a mini-Conclave vibe and are a good chance to get things communicated down from HQ. These are held in a few locations around the country for different regions and are held at large hotels.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
At hotels. Our conventions usually have about 900 in attendance. And we need 2 large ballrooms set up continually for General Sessions and meals throughout the course of the Convention as well as smaller rooms for breakout sessions. Those could be as many as a dozen or so. The seminars about 300-400 depending and don't need as many rooms but does need a decent sized facility. Our in house facility at EO only holds 15 so only Council meetings and boards, small groups meet there.
All of this is pretty much the same for AST. We hold convention once every two years in the even numbered years. In the odd-numbered, we have Officers Academy. Just a couple weeks ago, we held the first Advisors Academy, which was in Chicago; I don't know how often the sorority plans to hold this event.

ETA: The sorority also holds annual Regional Leadership Workshops. They are only a day, and as their name suggests, they include the chapters in a specific region. I don't know how many are held around the country each year.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 06-14-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
All of this is pretty much the same for AST. We hold convention once every two years in the even numbered years. In the odd-numbered, we have Officers Academy. Just a couple weeks ago, we held the first Advisors Academy, which was in Chicago; I don't know how often the sorority plans to hold this event.

ETA: We also hold annual Regional Leadership Workshops, which last only a day. As their name suggests, they include all the chapters in a particular region.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 06-14-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumni View Post
Where do they usually hold these meetings, at hotels, convention centers or is there some private venue that is utilized?
Ours are always at Marriotts...I guess we have a contract with them. There is one near IHQ where LI and LA are held as well. We have ~900 coming this year to Convention and over 600 were at the last LI. I don't know how many show up to LA.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-14-2013, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Our national conventions are triennial. The next one will be in 2015. There are other national and provincial gatherings in other years.

I think Beta has annual conventions.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

we also have a one day regional meeting in last January or early Feb.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumni View Post
In my fraternity we have at least one mid years convention, sometimes 2, depending upon where it is geographically since we are a national Fraternity. We also have a yearly summer "chapter" which is like a convention where all chapters send at least one representative. I found these to be pretty interesting and a good time, actually a lot more than I expected.

My question is, how many other organizations do the same thing or something similar?

I'd really like to know if your organization has the same or similar practices and if so, could you explain them a little?

For us, the mid-years is usually a 2-3 night convention at a pretty decent hotel with various activities during the day and then meals as well. I'm not to sure about the supreme chapter in the summer, but it is usually more dedicated to doing something (sometimes building for a local organization) or something like that.

So, if you could name your organization, and what kind of things you do, I'd really like to get to know what others do!!! Thanks a lot!
It sounds like you are asking "Does your organization have a national event in addition to your national convention?"

In Alpha, we have a General Convention in the odd numbered years. In even numbered years, we have had a variety of activities, some of which were legislative, others were not: an Economic Summit in 2002, a Constitutional Convention in 2004, Centennial Convention in 2006. In 2008 and 2012, we just had General Conventions in addition to the ones in odd numbered years.

From time to time, there will be other events which are national in scope that chapters are asked to participate in, including the Martin Luther King National Memorial dedication and General Presidential Inaugurations every four years.

Our conventions are usually held in large hotels or small-to-medium convention centers. The special events have happened in hotels, theaters, and on-site at the MLK memorial.

----

In Alpha Phi Omega, we have national conventions in December of even numbered years (always the 27th-30th) and the National Volunteer Conference (for alumni volunteers) in odd-numbered summers, formerly annually. Both events are in hotels.

Last edited by Sen's Revenge; 06-14-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Forgot to add venues