GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,581
1 members and 1,580 guests
FSUZeta

Old 07-05-2009, 05:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Questions about Money?!?!

So I don't come from alot of money and most of my education will be my responsibility to pay for. I've heard that living in a sorority is much more economical that staying in a dorm with room & board. So my question is, Do the dues that you are required to pay as a member include actually staying in the house? I plan on either going to Texas Tech or A&M.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-05-2009, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

No,they do not. Room and board in the house is extra. Depending on the particular group, it may be more or less than dorm living. Check with the Greek Affairs office at your school for specific information.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

greek housing can be a better deal than living in a dorm or apartment, however, i would not say that it is "much" more economical, merely more economical.

in addition, depending on the campus, and the type of housing available for greeks, in general, and your chapter in particular, you may or may not have the opportynity to live in the house. i believe that at texas tech the sororities have lodges and only a few of the members(and they are executive officers) can live in.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 07-05-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:51 PM

Sorority housing is not ALWAYS more enconomical. It depends on which dorms you consider. For example, it was cheaper for ME because the dorms I was going to stay in were newer and more expensive. I remember that the sorority house was often more expensive than some of the less expensive dorms.

Room and board is generally separate in terms of dues, so you would have to check with the Greek Life Office concerning actual costs.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

You can often find the cost of living inhouse online in the Greek Life area of your college website. Start there and then compare with the regular housing costs posted on the college website. If that info is not available online, you can find out by calling the Greek life office.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Keep in mind that some fees that you may not think of as a sorority member such as dances, T-shirts, etc. may or may not be included in your in-house cost of living. Many sororities give a breakdown of costs during informational sessions or even during recruitment. Again, check with the office of Greek life on your campus for this information.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

At my school living in the house is just as much as ashared dorm. If you are worried about the money, I suggest you go on the school website and just add up the costs. That should be the quickest, easiest way for you to decide what you want to do.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry but I feel the need to ask this. Is the only reason you want to join a sorority just to save some money on room and board? If so you really need to reconsider.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:01 PM

Sorority life is a big financial commitment.

In addition to dues and room & board, there are other costs as well.

Depending on how dues are structured, things such as formal tickets and socials may cost extra.

There are tee shirts for sorority events (i.e. philanthropies) which you often are required to purchase.

Then there are extras such as favors for formal, formal tee shirts, etc.

I suggest that any girl going through recruitment SERIOUSY CONSIDER whether they can afford to join BEFORE RECRIUTMENT.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

No Thats not it at all. I just don't want to get my hopes up if I wont have a way to pay for it.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Sorority life is a big financial commitment.

In addition to dues and room & board, there are other costs as well.

Depending on how dues are structured, things such as formal tickets and socials may cost extra.

There are tee shirts for sorority events (i.e. philanthropies) which you often are required to purchase.

Then there are extras such as favors for formal, formal tee shirts, etc.

I suggest that any girl going through recruitment SERIOUSY CONSIDER whether they can afford to join BEFORE RECRIUTMENT.
I agree 100% on this one. You need to consider all aspects of sorority life before rushing because it is tacky to ask about dues during the recruitment process.

I don't know about anyone else but my semester dues are pretty steep, plus I spend about $300+ a semster on extra things, like new function costumes/dresses, philantrophy, big/lil gifts, things for greek week, homecoming, fraternity events, ect. and that's just for sorority/greek life stuff.

It's a huge financial commitment. It's definetly worth it but be sure you know what you're getting yourself into.

However, every school is different. Some chapters are less expensive, some are more. Some do lots of functions/events, some only do a few.

I'm not trying to stop you from going through recruitment, I'm just being honest.

I suggest researching on your schools greek life page, that's usually the best place to start.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandAOE View Post
You need to consider all aspects of sorority life before rushing because it is tacky to ask about dues during the recruitment process.
Slightly swerving, but wanted to ask: when is the appropriate time to ask about dues?

Old 07-06-2009, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Slightly swerving, but wanted to ask: when is the appropriate time to ask about dues?
This is a campus issue. At some schools, if you ask you sound like you cannot pay. But at many, they anticipate that PNMs will ask and it's no big deal. This is definitely not true across the board.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralaylin View Post
This is a campus issue. At some schools, if you ask you sound like you cannot pay. But at many, they anticipate that PNMs will ask and it's no big deal. This is definitely not true across the board.
This is definetly true, and they should tell you sometime during the open house rounds.

In general, all advice given on this site should be taken with a grain of salt because all schools/chapters/greek systems are unique and what is true for one may or may not be true for another. I can only speak to what I have expierenced at my school and at my school it is improper to ask about dues during recruitment.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Well at my school, a sorority will put it out there for you at recruitment , but if that's not the case, I'd say while going over membership obligations.