GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,393
0 members and 1,393 guests
No Members online

Old 11-30-2009, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Summer pledge class?

Some Universities, for various reasons, are making to make the Summer equal to the Fall and the Spring in terms of classes available. (Fall runs late August to Christmas, Spring runs Early January to Early May and Summer from Early May to Late August). Has anyone heard of a fraternity (or theoretically a sorority, though unlikely, IMO, to be NPC) taking on a Summer pledge class?
Old 11-30-2009, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

My APO Chapter toyed with the idea, but never did.

A nearby chapter DID do it.
Section 71 Chair
Old 11-30-2009, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Some Universities, for various reasons, are making to make the Summer equal to the Fall and the Spring in terms of classes available. (Fall runs late August to Christmas, Spring runs Early January to Early May and Summer from Early May to Late August). Has anyone heard of a fraternity (or theoretically a sorority, though unlikely, IMO, to be NPC) taking on a Summer pledge class?
Yes, but I am sorta foggy on the details.

APhiA intake can be conducted up until the middle of June, according to our national website, and it has been that way since I crossed six years ago. I have heard of other NPHCs pledging in the summer, but I really don't remember any details or whether it was legitimate intake.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

It's allowed in some instances in my organization, but is generally frowned upon.

I have heard of a few NALFO organizations that have summer lines/classes.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

We never took an actual summer pledge class, but we did have the occasional holdover pledge. IMHO, it doesn't work out well. I think we had one holdover actually stick it out.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
We never took an actual summer pledge class, but we did have the occasional holdover pledge. IMHO, it doesn't work out well. I think we had one holdover actually stick it out.
Same here. We had the occasional girl who held over summer for one reason or another (I was one), and I'd say it worked out well most of the time. I don't think it is something our HQ would prefer for us to do now (they of course would like chapters to initiate women before the end of school).

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Same here. We had the occasional girl who held over summer for one reason or another (I was one), and I'd say it worked out well most of the time. I don't think it is something our HQ would prefer for us to do now (they of course would like chapters to initiate women before the end of school).
Our holdovers were usually for grades, and many of them just didn't return to school after the summer.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

My chapter did a summer pledge class this past summer. We pledged a few girls in late April and over the summer they would mail their "homework" assignments to the new member coordinator and she would email them weekly updates and lessons. If some of the girls were in town then sisters would take them to lunch or coffee. We initiated them in August two weeks before formal recruitment. Once school started they participated recruitment practice just like every other sister we just waited to over the member selection process until they were initiated.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I have heard of a few NALFO organizations that have summer lines/classes.
Yep, and from my observation, it is ridiculed.

We sometimes have spring classes that carry over a bit into the summer, but they are considered "Spring" initiates.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:34 PM

My chapter once had a new member who was ribboned and pinned in the spring and initiated at the end of the summer.

To make a long story short, she was COB'd mid spring semester, and the earliest we could have initiated her would have been during finals week (!). With nationals' OK, she remained a new member over the summer, and was initiated a couple of days before rush started. Even though things got a bit crazy, holding a major ritual right in the middle of work week, and making it a meaningful and special event for our new sister and not something that was just squeezed in between painting banners and rehearsing skits ... it also pumped us all up for rush by reminding us why we're all AEPhis.

In NPC land, though, it's definitely the exception rather than the rule.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu1904 View Post
My chapter did a summer pledge class this past summer. We pledged a few girls in late April and over the summer they would mail their "homework" assignments to the new member coordinator and she would email them weekly updates and lessons. If some of the girls were in town then sisters would take them to lunch or coffee. We initiated them in August two weeks before formal recruitment. Once school started they participated recruitment practice just like every other sister we just waited to over the member selection process until they were initiated.

The logistics of coordinating a pledge class (lessons, quizzes/tests, homework, etc) seems like it would be a nightmare. My organization does not do summer pledge classes and I have yet to hear of a holdover from Spring.

Judging by your organization's summer pledge program, it would be difficult for the pledges to get to know each other and bond which I believe is a crucial part in any pledge education. How did those summer pledges fare when initiated?

"Life is service. The one who progresses is the one who gives his fellow human beings a little more, a little better service." - E. M. Statler 1863 - 1928
Old 12-03-2009, 03:30 AM

It could have been these were girls who knew the majority of the sorority members as it was, and actually pledging them and initiating them was more of a technicality.

Or it could be that the pool of people the school draws from is all very close together. As far as bonding, as in ANY pledge class - that's up to the pledges. There's nothing preventing them from taking, for example, every Friday night and meeting up in a chat room or such.