GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,892
1 members and 1,891 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-02-2013, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

3 Questions about Rushing

Hey guys I'm a freshman and I'm planning on rushing at my school. I had a few quick questions, sorry in advance if they're redundant, I'm new here. I tried searching for them but I couldn't find the answers so here they go:

1. What do you talk about at rush events? Is it like meeting when you meet anyone else? Can someone give me example topics of conversation (i.e. sports, clubs, intended major, parties etc.)

2. Is it ok to talk about stuff you did in high school? For example, I used to play in a rock/rap band. It was nothing serious, but should I bring it up?

3. When do you pay dues? Do you pay after you get your bid or once you're initiated? If I get dropped or drop out of my fraternity as a pledge do I get my money back?

4. Rush week is mid-January for me, should I start contacting the fraternities I'm interested in?

Yes, I realize this is 4 questions, not 3.

Last edited by philly2008; 01-02-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

1.) At rush event's , they want to get to know you! They will ask you questions about you to try to figure out what kind of person you are. They may ask what sports you've played, what you like to do in your spare time, your major, what clubs you are in on campus. They will most likely not bring up parties, and you shouldn't talk about drinking, partying, or hooking up.
2. Yes! If playing in that rap/rock band was something that you truely loved, then you can bring it up! It shows that you have an interest in music, and maybe the brother rushing you does too and the conversation can expand from there.
3. Not sure about 3. I know for my sorority, we were told how much dues were after bid day and they had to be paid in full before initiation. If we dropped, we got our money back. This may differ with each organization though so I don't want to say anything for sure.

Just remember - be yourself, smile, and relax! Not every chapter on campus may be a good fit for you, but each chapter is different and you will end up where you belong. Let us know how it goes!

These posts helped me and may help you as well. Fraternities and sororities are different, but the basics are the same. Avoid controversial topics, don't go on and on about partying, do not insult another organization, no gossiping (you never know who knows who!!).
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=30758
Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

1-you're on target
2-if you're a freshman, yes it's ok (and expected) that you talk about stuff you did in high school. Hopefully you have some college activity to add to the mix
3-You pay some dues right away and it's ongoing. If you drop, you not only don't get your money back but you could be obligated to pay more. There is a contract involved. Make sure you know what it says before you sign it. And they're not kidding. They could send you to collections and start your adult life with a big ole black mark on your financial record.
4-yes

And let me add, since it sounds like you're kind of clueless about rush or fraternity life that you cast a wide net. If you're particularly interested in 3 fraternities, look at 6 or more to give yourself the best possible chance. You may find as you learn more about what fraternities are and what they do that your interests lie somewhere you don't currently expect.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
1-you're on target
2-if you're a freshman, yes it's ok (and expected) that you talk about stuff you did in high school. Hopefully you have some college activity to add to the mix
3-You pay some dues right away and it's ongoing. If you drop, you not only don't get your money back but you could be obligated to pay more. There is a contract involved. Make sure you know what it says before you sign it. And they're not kidding. They could send you to collections and start your adult life with a big ole black mark on your financial record.
4-yes

And let me add, since it sounds like you're kind of clueless about rush or fraternity life that you cast a wide net. If you're particularly interested in 3 fraternities, look at 6 or more to give yourself the best possible chance. You may find as you learn more about what fraternities are and what they do that your interests lie somewhere you don't currently expect.
Thanks, you helped a lot, you're right about me being clueless about Greek Life haha. Is this good for an introductory email? I don't want to sound desperate emailing on Jan 2nd, because I'm looking at 4-5 houses but I want to show that I'm interested:

"What's up man, I'm a freshman at this university and I'm looking into rushing a fraternity during the winter, and yours seems like one I'd be interested in. Could you give me any info about the rush events? Thanks, ..."
Old 01-02-2013, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Start by contacting your Greek Life office and find out what protocol is. Depending on your school they may have a registration process and then you won't need to send any emails. But in any case, I'd seek local counsel on this one. Your email sounds bad to me, but to a 20 year old rush chairman, maybe it won't. If you have any friends who are in fraternities at your school, ask them what you should be doing. And if you can get advice from 2 or 3 different fraternity guys, it would be better, since ABC fraternity might go about getting their invitation list together much differently than DEF does. Your Greek system might have a Facebook page. Hopefully they have information for you. Your university's website also probably has from a little to a ton of information available to you.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Start by contacting your Greek Life office and find out what protocol is. Depending on your school they may have a registration process and then you won't need to send any emails. But in any case, I'd seek local counsel on this one. Your email sounds bad to me, but to a 20 year old rush chairman, maybe it won't. If you have any friends who are in fraternities at your school, ask them what you should be doing. And if you can get advice from 2 or 3 different fraternity guys, it would be better, since ABC fraternity might go about getting their invitation list together much differently than DEF does. Your Greek system might have a Facebook page. Hopefully they have information for you. Your university's website also probably has from a little to a ton of information available to you.
Thanks again, I checked out the website. Could you possibly elaborate on why you thought the email was bad? Sorry to bother you again but I don't want to give off a bad impression.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe someone in a fraternity can be more helpful to you.

Your email was ... was ... um ... uh .... well... maybe someone in a fraternity will reply to you. Good luck! (sincerely said, not sarcastic)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-02-2013, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I would contact your Greek life office. At many schoolsvthe events needs to be registered so starting there might be a idea. As for money, in my experience pledges don't have dues but do have to pay an initiation fee at some point.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

The email immediately struck me as a tad too casual to send to someone you don't know. "What's up man?" is fine when you know someone, even slightly, but if you're approaching someone unknown...well, it might be a risky intro.

If the fraternity chapter actually gives a contact name (as opposed to just generalinfo@abc, I'd address the person by name.

"Hi Mike --I'll be taking part in fraternity recruitment this winter and am interested in finding out about the events ABC will be holding. Any info would be appreciated and I look forward to meeting you guys."

I'd keep it to that, but some fraternity men may be able to advise you better. What did you find out at the website in regards to registering? That may be all you need to do. Best wishes to you!