GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,588
2 members and 1,586 guests
*winter*, speedsters

Old 07-27-2004, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Brak Obama!

I think he gave an awesome speech tonight. I have never heard of him until tonight. Ya'll in Illinois is how has he been as a State Senator and a Candidate for the US Senate?
Old 07-27-2004, 11:21 PM
Banned

He's given that speech about 200 times now.

-Rudey
Old 07-27-2004, 11:28 PM
Unregistered-

Hawai`i born and raised on Sandy Beach/Manoa Falls/plate lunches and shave ice, Punahou School-bred, it's no surprise he is the way he is.

I enjoyed his speech tonight. If you didn't know who he was before, I'm sure you know now!
Old 07-27-2004, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Looks like Barack's gonna be going places... I think he'll do good in the Senate.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 07-27-2004, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't think his speech was unique, but I was feeling his cadence and eloquence. Reminds me (vocally) of MLK without the southern accent.

I liked him.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree his speech might not have been "unique", but I don't think the wants and desires of Americans are unique either. And I think that's what he was expressing. I loved him and can't wait to see where he goes in the future.

I saw Hillary after his speech and I could see the wheels turning "Hmm, if we don't win it this year, he's a potential running mate in '08...." Can you imagine? A female and a black man on the same ticket?! I really hope I see a day where that doesn't sound so remarkable...
Old 07-28-2004, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Barack Obama ROCKS!! And he WILL be the next Senator of Illinois!! We are having a fundraiser for him in August, if anyone is in the Chicagoland area and wants to attend, PM me.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

What is so great about him?

He's a good speaker? I got that. What else am I missing?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-28-2004, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I honestly believe he means what he says. He will voice his concerns and work to make changes. He's very personable (I've had the opportunity to speak with him at a debate) and involved in his community. And he has the ability to reach out to ALL communities. Which is important for people, especially in Chicago. Reminds us of Harold Washington.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by TheEpitome1920
I honestly believe he means what he says. He will voice his concerns and work to make changes. He's very personable (I've had the opportunity to speak with him at a debate) and involved in his community. And he has the ability to reach out to ALL communities. Which is important for people, especially in Chicago. Reminds us of Harold Washington.
So he's convincing, eloquent, speaks well and is very charismatic. I was asking about substance, not presentation.

As Americans, I think we get too caught up in the way people speak/look on TV and really don't pay attention to what matters. I listened to his speach last night and really didn't hear anything earth shaking or different from what anyone else had been saying.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
So he's convincing, eloquent, speaks well and is very charismatic. I was asking about substance, not presentation.

As Americans, I think we get too caught up in the way people speak/look on TV and really don't pay attention to what matters. I listened to his speach last night and really didn't hear anything earth shaking or different from what anyone else had been saying.
for the skeptics
Old 07-28-2004, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
for the skeptics
So he's for education. Wow. Ground shaking.

A Democrat for a public health system. Great. Let's redistribute some more wealth. Take from the rich and give to the poor.

He's also for more jobs.

Like I said.. nothing ground shaking.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

So what is your point? You do not live in Illinois so you will not be voting for him.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
So what is your point? You do not live in Illinois there for you will not be voting for him.
My point is that people are caught up in his charisma and care very little about his substance. I can think of another great speaker off hand... Adolf Hitler. I'm not saying that they are similar in any way. My point is that people should really try to look past someone's charismatic facade and see the candidate for who they really are.

So far, everything I've heard anyone say about him is addressing his charisma, how they think he's telling the truth, etc... no one addresses his message. Now that you've shown me his site, I don't really see much of a message at all.

Are you saying that I can't have an opinion because I don't live in Illinois?
Old 07-28-2004, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Personally, I'm tired of people trying to downplay Barack. I guess that's the con of being on top of your game. People will find ANY and EVERY thing wrong with you to try to bring you down. Same thing with Harold Washington and he was perhaps the best Mayor Chicago will ever see.

I find a LOT of substance in his plan of action for the state of illinois. Sorry, I cannot give it to you verbatim. I have seen him debate with other canidates and he is just what our state and country need.

My comment about you not living in Illinois means that since you don't see anything spectacular about him you don't have to voting for or against him.