GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 306,829
Threads: 114,616
Posts: 2,156,614
Welcome to our newest member, bdizycdark3910
» Online Users: 384
6 members and 378 guests
ForeverRoses, momof, unarose, Weaver D
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 04-26-2018, 10:09 AM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Posts: 18,206
It is appears now that the University's response was waaaay over-the-top. These things sometimes go well. SAE at the University of Oklahoma got what was coming to them, though I do think the students expelled in that case have pretty good civil rights claims.

As defamation cases go, the University's extremely public response to this incident without the benefit of a full investigation, jumping to conclusions without getting all of the facts.. yeah... they'd better get ready to write some checks. I'm guessing that the $1 million each has something to do with New York's Tort Claims Act limits.
__________________
SN -SINCE 1869-
"EXCELLING WITH HONOR"
S N E T T
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-27-2018, 01:30 AM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 5,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
You're also not 19-22. According to them, they were not engaging in blatant racist activity, they were roasting a conservative/Trump voting brother by portraying him as a white nationalist.
I wasn't racist nor saying such offensive things with my sorority sisters between the ages of 19 and 22.

Quote:
These are the same kind of kids who play Cards Against Humanity. I'm sure you would never even in a joking way say or do these things.
I've played Cards Against Humanity. I guess I must have missed the cards with the racial slurs on them.
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-27-2018, 02:35 AM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,513
So in other words they were doing something like the movie CSA?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.S....tes_of_America

Itís very hard to know if their explanation holds water without personally knowing these guys, but as Iíve said before, if you have to explain something is satire, it probably isnít very good satire.

And even if it WAS good satire (like the movie cited above) people will chop it up and take it out of context.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-27-2018, 02:10 PM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Posts: 18,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
I've played Cards Against Humanity. I guess I must have missed the cards with the racial slurs on them.
I guess there are no racial overtones whatsoever to "a big black dick" or in the expansion pack, "an even bigger black dick."

And there's nothing racist at all about the "Jew Pack" containing prompts about the holocaust, torturing Jews and Anne Frank's genitals.

Here's an article which does a content analysis of the Cards Against Humanity game which finds, among other things that

Quote:
It empowers White players in the group to say and do things that are unacceptable in virtually any other setting; explicitly racist speech is almost always sanctioned; however, Cards Against Humanity bypasses this norm.
It's really exactly the kind of humor these kids are being expelled for. I wonder if any of the administrators involved has played this game?
__________________
SN -SINCE 1869-
"EXCELLING WITH HONOR"
S N E T T
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-27-2018, 02:57 PM
naraht naraht is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Rockville,MD,USA
Posts: 3,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I guess there are no racial overtones whatsoever to "a big black dick" or in the expansion pack, "an even bigger black dick."

And there's nothing racist at all about the "Jew Pack" containing prompts about the holocaust, torturing Jews and Anne Frank's genitals.

Here's an article which does a content analysis of the Cards Against Humanity game which finds, among other things that



It's really exactly the kind of humor these kids are being expelled for. I wonder if any of the administrators involved has played this game?
Didn't see the link, so
http://www.academia.edu/34277608/Equ...ainst_Humanity
__________________
Because "undergrads, please abandon your national policies and make something up" will end well --KnightShadow
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-27-2018, 03:30 PM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 5,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I guess there are no racial overtones whatsoever to "a big black dick" or in the expansion pack, "an even bigger black dick."

And there's nothing racist at all about the "Jew Pack" containing prompts about the holocaust, torturing Jews and Anne Frank's genitals.
I had to Google this, because I didn't think it could actually be real. Please tell me that people were outraged when that came out.

I guess it's been a really long while since I've played - I actually find the game rather boring. But perhaps that just means I'm too old and "uncool".

Quote:
Here's an article which does a content analysis of the Cards Against Humanity game which finds, among other things that


It's really exactly the kind of humor these kids are being expelled for. I wonder if any of the administrators involved has played this game?
Exactly the same "humor"? Eh, I'm not so sure. But I guess for me, I've never found a reason to utter a racial slur - nor have I thought about it, even in a joking way - so I interpret this as being different. But perhaps it isn't.

Either way, I really can't blame the school for taking this as seriously as they have in the current climate this country is in. And there's video which will live forever on the internet. The school can't just ignore that and say, "Everyone, chill. It was a joke."
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-27-2018, 04:01 PM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Posts: 18,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Exactly the same "humor"? Eh, I'm not so sure. But I guess for me, I've never found a reason to utter a racial slur - nor have I thought about it, even in a joking way - so I interpret this as being different. But perhaps it isn't.
You had to Google it because you didn't think it could be real? Either you didn't play this game, or this stuff really doesn't offend you, because, if we are to believe you are as offended by all of this as you say you are, how could you not remember this? I regularly advise my actives against playing this game as I can only imagine the fallout if some video of some college kids playing this game was ever to be made public in today's PC climate.

What happened here according to the Fraternity--uttering racial slurs to make fun of someone who was associated loosely with people who actually do make racial slurs because that individual would be embarrassed to be associated with, for example, white nationalists.

I tend to believe the Fraternity if the affidavits filed in the lawsuit are correct and one of the people being disciplined for this was African American, another Jewish.

What happens with CAH--uttering racially charged words, not because anyone wants to denigrate anyone's race, but because the rules dictate that you have to come up with the most shocking/humorous combination of cards given the options in your hand. And you might be holding only these cards: "A big black dick, "an even bigger black dick," "the holocaust," "Anne Frank's genitalia," "slavery," and "not giving a shit about the third world." (all actual cards). I don't think anyone should be allowed to police what anyone else finds funny. That seems a tad thought-policey.

Quote:
Either way, I really can't blame the school for taking this as seriously as they have in the current climate this country is in. And there's video which will live forever on the internet. The school can't just ignore that and say, "Everyone, chill. It was a joke."
They could. They actually could do that. They could allow for an actual investigation without expelling an organization permanently, expelling students permanently, suspending others from academics as finals are coming up. That was totally an option and now they have a multimillion dollar lawsuit to contend with. I hope SU writes some big 'ol checks. Maybe that'll slow the roll of future administrations wanting to pander to the PC mob.
__________________
SN -SINCE 1869-
"EXCELLING WITH HONOR"
S N E T T
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-27-2018, 04:03 PM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Posts: 18,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
That's the correct link.
__________________
SN -SINCE 1869-
"EXCELLING WITH HONOR"
S N E T T
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-27-2018, 05:25 PM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 5,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
You had to Google it because you didn't think it could be real? Either you didn't play this game, or this stuff really doesn't offend you, because, if we are to believe you are as offended by all of this as you say you are, how could you not remember this? I regularly advise my actives against playing this game as I can only imagine the fallout if some video of some college kids playing this game was ever to be made public in today's PC climate.
So your assumption is that everyone who's ever played CAH has heard of the Jew Pack? I've never bought this game, nor have I ever been inclined to. Why should I have heard of this?

Quote:
What happened here according to the Fraternity--uttering racial slurs to make fun of someone who was associated loosely with people who actually do make racial slurs because that individual would be embarrassed to be associated with, for example, white nationalists.
As I said, slurs are on a different level for me, but I guess they aren't for everyone.

Quote:
I tend to believe the Fraternity if the affidavits filed in the lawsuit are correct and one of the people being disciplined for this was African American, another Jewish.

......

They could. They actually could do that. They could allow for an actual investigation without expelling an organization permanently, expelling students permanently, suspending others from academics as finals are coming up. That was totally an option and now they have a multimillion dollar lawsuit to contend with. I hope SU writes some big 'ol checks. Maybe that'll slow the roll of future administrations wanting to pander to the PC mob.
They can sue, and I'm sure they'll win, but at what point do our members start acting intelligently? When do we start holding them accountable? When does "We didn't mean to" not count as an excuse? This isn't just a bunch of PC bull****. Take this case of a DPhiE sister - she was quickly stripped of her membership. I say good. No organization should have to deal with this.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=243460
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-27-2018, 06:47 PM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Posts: 18,206
If these members are in a position to sue and win, compared to the University, they acted intelligently. I'm guessing the administration violated even their own policies in processing these disciplinary actions so quickly. I don't think "we didn't mean to" is what they're saying. My takeaway is that they can't understand how anyone would view their actions as problematic when considered in context. I don't think these gentlemen owe anyone an apology. On the other hand, there are a lot of folks who owe them an apology.
__________________
SN -SINCE 1869-
"EXCELLING WITH HONOR"
S N E T T
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-11-2018, 06:26 AM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 5,726
15 fraternity members suspended by Syracuse:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/09/us/sy...ded/index.html
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Syracuse Engineering Fraternity GreekOne Risk Management - Hazing & etc. 0 04-19-2018 08:02 AM
University of Alabama Alpha Phi Expelled for Racist Video TLLK Greek Life 99 02-05-2018 11:05 AM
IU Alpha Tau Omega suspended after hazing video surfaces 3StringedLyre Risk Management - Hazing & etc. 26 10-09-2015 09:30 AM
Beta Theta Pi chapter suspended at Carnegie Mellon: Alleged Sexually Explicit Video exlurker Risk Management - Hazing & etc. 4 04-04-2013 06:49 PM
Syracuse Fraternity Rush als463 Fraternity Recruitment 5 07-20-2009 07:15 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.