GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,421
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, LeahArguet

Old 08-11-2007, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I too am so sorry that your daughter has not received more invitations. So often when there are so many women going through recruitment really great women are released. What I do want to say is your daughter has two houses that do really want her and they DO see what she has to offer. While they may not be her first or second choices, can she see herself contibuting to the house and the sisterhood? Can she see herself participating in activities with these women? So often women will be happy in a house they originally didn't think they might like. And, it is only a suggestion. Best wishes.

GPhiB
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-11-2007, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I cannot speak specifically about Auburn, but it has been my experience as both an active and alumna advisor that very few girls drop out of pledging. If the sorority is at total, even if pledges drop out they will not COB.
IMHO, her best bet is to see recruitment through to the end. She can only pledge ONE house, so all she needs is ONE house. As long as she doesn't absolutely hate the two houses she has left, I'd be willing to bet that she would be happy in either of them.
Please remind her that there are two houses on the campus who obviously think very highly of her. It's easy to get caught up in the ones who cut you - but focus on the two who really like her.
If she is shy, it may very well be that some of the chapters thought she was not interested. I cannot say - but please assure her that there is still a place for her. As was stated earlier, if she doesn't get a bid at all, she can still COB.
I wish her the very best of luck. I know she is crushed - but she is lucky to have a mom who is so concerned. Tell her we are all rooting for her to find her new sisters - hang in there!
Old 08-11-2007, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

It just depends on which of the groups the five she is interested in are.

The majority of the groups at Auburn will be over total, I think, once they have their new members classes, which basically means they will have no room to offer your daughter a COB/COR bid.

Other groups may have room because they are below chapter total. I think that the number of groups who do COB/COR is probably pretty small, and that if your daughter's favorite groups are also other rushees favorites groups, it's unlikely that they will be the ones to COB/COR.

On the other hand, if your daughter still likes her two groups, remember that if she gets a bid from one of them, that's the maximum that any girl can get.

Will her recruitment counselor tell her which groups did COB/COR last year?

Last edited by UGAalum94; 08-11-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Momto2gals,

Your daughter sounds like a fine young woman and she should be proud of her accomplishments as well as her future goals. As an alumni from a southern school that also has a very competitive recruitment, I would advise your daughter to stick it out. Based on the info provided in this thread, there are a record number of girls going through recruitment and it is likely that all of the chapters will end up above or at quota. Also, remind your daughter that even though she was cut from her 2 favorites she may end up finding a home with another sorority. I went through a similar situation during my recruitment experience and I now that I look back I ended up right where I belonged. I couldn't imagine being anything but a Theta!!! Best of luck to your daughter... and I hope that this reply helps with her decision.

Last edited by PVBTheta; 08-12-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

What is TOTAL for the sororities?

I kind of know the numbers the sororities have now as I have been checking out their websites and such (although a few of them you can't tell) What is the TOTAL number of sisters a sorority at AU can have? I know the most I have heard of is one has about 222 and the least (based on what my daughter told me she has heard) is one that has 100 members. So if a sorority has lets just say the big one with 222 members. They can't accept as many pledges as the one with 100. Is that correct?
oh and by the way. Thanks so much for being so understanding. I went to a university that only had 3 sororities at that time and had a very hard time just getting women to go through rush so I had no problem getting a bid from the one I wanted. This is all very different and scary to us. I have another daughter coming up although she is still quite young. What advice can I give her. What do the sororities at Auburn look for? Is that GPA a BIG issue? Do you need a 4.0 or higher to be considered by the bigger sororities? And if there is a problem with so many going through rush at Auburn, then why don't they have more chapters there? I know at Alabama for instance there is about 18 or more, right? I have been telling my daughter to just pray about it. I will tell her her chances are not that good at being picked up during COB by the ones that she wanted. She should probably join one of the ones she went to today. Thanks for all y'alls help!!
Old 08-11-2007, 07:08 PM

I'm not sure what the total is now. It varies from year to year sometimes depending on the number of girls the sororities take during rush.

During formal rush, every sorority (no matter what size) can take the SAME number of girls (quota) for their pledge class. Quota is the max number a soroity can take in a pledge class. Quota is determined by the number of girls going through the pref round of rush rush divided by the number of sororities. At a school like Auburn, this number itself is going to be pretty high.

Size only matters when it comes to COB. That's where that MAX number (total) comes into play. If a sorority does NOT reach the total # after formal recruitment, they may do COB until they reach it. So if a sorority DOES reach the total after formal recruitment, they CANNOT do COB because they can't bid anymore girls.

Let me give you some examples. I'm using random numbers since I don't know what quota and total at AU is:

Let's say total is 250. This is the MAX number of sisters a sorority can have.

Sorority A already has 222 girls. Quota is 60. On bid day, they get 60 girls (the most they can take in formal recruitment). 222+60= 282. This sorority is over total and CANNOT do COB.

Sorority B has 100 girls. Quota is 60 and they get 60. 100+60= 160. This sorority is under total and CAN do COB until they get to it.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-11-2007 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Total at Auburn University is 160 according to my most recent membership report. Last year, quota was 58. That means that every chapter could take 58 women no matter what. If, after taking those 58, they still had fewer than 160 members, then they could COB. Quota is fluid from year to year, based on the number of women going through recruitment so it may be higher or lower than 58.

My thoughts about the sororities with huge chapters like Auburn are this..

No matter which one you join, if there are 100+ members, you are going to click with/get along with some group within that membership. With that many members, there are going to be scholars, partiers, socialites, athletes, etc. I think she should stick it out. You will see, if you read a lot of these recruitment threads, that sometimes the sororities do a better job of picking who fits best with their membership than the PNMs do and MOST women who accept a bid from a chapter that may not have been their first choice all along still find a wonderful home in that chapter.

So, I agree with the poster who said that she can only accept ONE bid and there are TWO sororities who see her great qualities right now, so why not see how it goes with one of those? COB is a rarity at Auburn.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

It's really hard being a PNM. It's really hard being the mom of a PNM (veteran of 6 rushes here). It's awful being cut as a PNM but it's devastating watching your daughter being cut.

As an Auburn alum, I would advise your daughter to go all the way through pref parties and see what happens. If she doesn't end up with a bid, she should register immediately for COB. I corresponded with an Auburn mother last year whose daughter went unbid and then at the end of the semester, she received invitations from 3 or 4 sororities to come to informal parties. She ended up with a sorority she loved!
Old 08-11-2007, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you

Thank you all so much for your help. I don't even have any idea which two parties she went to today. Her Pi Chi didn't know (or didn't tell her this morning) I guess she found out when she went to pick up her schedule which was right before her first party which was at 3 I think. I haven't heard from her yet either so I am kind of worried about how it all went. She said of the 4 she had been to during Philanthropy she was going to drop out of rush if one of the two wasn't such and such. I am going to try to convice her to stay in and accept a bid from whomever. It sounds like her chances for COB aren't guaranteed. I appreciate all the help. You have all calmed down MY nerves quite a bit!
Old 08-11-2007, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

How your daughter feels is really normal, but it's important that she try to give the groups that want her a chance. Unless she's sure that she'd rather not be Greek than join the ones she has left, she should probably just see it through.

Not that my experience is particularly wide or well-informed, but I don't think that most girls at SEC recruitments get snap bid or COBed by their first round (or even second round) favorites if these groups released the girls early on.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2gals View Post
Thank you all so much for your help. I don't even have any idea which two parties she went to today. Her Pi Chi didn't know (or didn't tell her this morning) I guess she found out when she went to pick up her schedule which was right before her first party which was at 3 I think. I haven't heard from her yet either so I am kind of worried about how it all went. She said of the 4 she had been to during Philanthropy she was going to drop out of rush if one of the two wasn't such and such. I am going to try to convice her to stay in and accept a bid from whomever. It sounds like her chances for COB aren't guaranteed. I appreciate all the help. You have all calmed down MY nerves quite a bit!
No offense but she certainly shouldn't just accept a bid "from whomever" if she doesn't want to be there. Leave the spot for someone who actually wants it.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

-Tell her to hang in there! I only had 1 party on pref day and I ended up getting a bid to the one sorority that not only liked me but that I really liked also. If for some reason it doesn't work out in her favor, I know it will be hard. But I am a firm believer of the old saying ' when one door closes and other door opens'. That door usually opens sooner rather than later and usually it leads to something better. However, you can only accept one bid, so one invitation is all you need!
Old 08-11-2007, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB View Post
No offense but she certainly shouldn't just accept a bid "from whomever" if she doesn't want to be there. Leave the spot for someone who actually wants it.
I agree. If she really thinks she'd rather not be Greek than to be in that chapter, then she shouldn't accept a bid from them.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

So sorry for the long delay.....

I was away from my computer for the entire day...

First, Momto2gals, I am sorry about the hard time your daughter is having at Auburn's rush. I hope that today went well for her and that she will be invited back tomorrow (for pref) to the 2 sororties that she attended today. I wish I could help you more, but the only advice I can give you is to encourage your daughter to stick with it and let's see what happens with the 2 sororities she's still attending!

I will keep my fingers crossed for you and for your daughter!
Old 08-11-2007, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

now for Kate's news....

she was invited back to 6 parties today for skit round.... yeah!!

She went back to

Austria
Ireland
Netherlands
Belgium
Italy
Monacco

2 out of her top 3 sororities from last round invited her back for this round. She was thrilled! I haven't talked to her since this morning so I don't know how the day of skit parties went. I am anticipating her call anytime and I will update with her feelings about today at that time.....