GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Theta > Theta Nu Xi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,441
1 members and 1,440 guests
Kevin

Old 04-16-2005, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
So Entertained

Sorors as I read through websites, I am more and more entertained by what I find. I thought it would be fun to post interesting tidbits from Greek websites and get it all in one place. Please read on and you'll get the idea...

Dislaimer: I'm not accusing anyone of anything - just pointing out some interesting similarities...

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-16-2005, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

1) FAQ

Theta Nu Xi - 1997

Q: What is your pledge process like?

Similar to other greek organizations, we keep our pledge and initiation rituals private. However, the Sorority has a standard intake procedure which includes informal rush events, general interest meetings, formal interest meetings, a rigorous application, an in-depth personal interview, and a period of intake during which the aspirants learn the key information about the organization and participate in activities designed to cultivate the lasting bonds of sisterhood. The process is designed to be flexible yet provide the women with the knowledge, skills, and support they will need to both contribute to the Sorority and cultivate themselves as leaders.

Alpha Chi Lambda - 2000

What is your pledge process like and how long does it last?

Like many other greek organizations, we are not at liberty to disclose the details of our pledge and initiation practices. However, Alpha Chi Lambda does employ standard procedures that provide our pledges a period of time to learn important information about the sorority and to participate in events designed to nurture the lasting relationship that the sisterhood offers. The process is accommodating enough so that it does not interfere with a participant’s additional activities, yet involved enough so that pledges acquire the information and support necessary to contribute to the sorority.

2) GAP/GAP

http://www.thetanuxi.org/professional.html
http://www.oepi.com/gap.htm

3) Poems

"Theta Woman" - written in 1998
"Kappa Woman" - written after 2001

Old 05-27-2005, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

4) "Xi" prefix for graduate, alumnae and professional chapters

QNX GAP Program - Founded 2001
http://www.thetanuxi.org/gaplinks.htm

LFX First graduate/professional chapter - Founded 2005
http://www.msu.edu/~brooksr9/Chapters.html

Old 05-27-2005, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhirlwindTNX
Yeah Soror. Our GAP requirments are really similar to their gap program. If you look at what they (LPX, founded January 27, 2004) post:
A) Graduate Students: This type of membership is open to ladies that are current graduate students at an accredited university and working toward a post-baccalaurate degree.

B) Alumnae: This type of membership is open to ladies who joined Lambda Phi Xi as an undergraduate student and has completed her undergraduate degree.

C) Professional: This type of membership is open to ladies who have already attained their undergraduate degrees and are practicing professionals.

And then what WE (TNX, founded April 11th 1997) have:
Graduate - Graduate student at an accredited university working towards a post-baccalaureate degree.

Alumna - Woman who joined Theta Nu Xi as an undergraduate and has completed her bachelor's degree.

Professional - Woman who is employed in a professional field and has completed her bachelor's degree.

I guess great minds think alike.....

Last edited by WhirlwindTNX; 05-27-2005 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Uh-oh, a younger soror from Alpha Chapter is on the scent now. Here's what she found:

Loyal to the cocoon from where she comes
The lady of Lambda Tau rises out of a blue dawn
To proudly bridge the gaps in the world
With her butterfly wings

It's the signature for user "mica3gold" on Nappturality.com. The link:

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/in...showuser=33278

(You have to register)

Last edited by preciousjeni; 07-22-2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

More news!

Go to www.lambdatau.cjb.net and click “Lady of Lambda Tau.” Po babies! It's the next generation of copyright infringement. They even borrowed one of our colors (light blue)! Awwww!

Last edited by preciousjeni; 07-23-2006 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni
More news!

Go to www.lambdatau.cjb.net and click “Lady of Lambda Tau.” Po babies! It's the next generation of copyright infringement. They even borrowed one of our colors (light blue)! Awwww!

I was concerned until I realized they're high school students! In a way, it's kind of cute (and flattering) that they've chosen to "imitate" us. If Lambda Tau inspires young girls in Baton Rouge to do something positive, I can live with them "borrowing" from Theta Nu Xi.

Now if they decide to go national, that's a problem...
Old 07-25-2006, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resillyance
I was concerned until I realized they're high school students! In a way, it's kind of cute (and flattering) that they've chosen to "imitate" us. If Lambda Tau inspires young girls in Baton Rouge to do something positive, I can live with them "borrowing" from Theta Nu Xi.

Now if they decide to go national, that's a problem...
It's flattering to a point. Anyway, did you read the comments from their "advisor" about folks hating on them? I don't know how inspiring that truly is.

The problem is that we have a copyright on Theta Woman, so anyone using it, without permission, is committing an unlawful act. Of course, we'd have trouble proving that they've made any money/incurred any benefit from its use, but it's still not theirs to use.

Anyway, I don't think they're imitating us. From some comments from a member, it appears that the newer members don't even know the poem was stolen!

P.S. Soror, please head over to http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=40818 and introduce yourself!! Welcome to GC!

Last edited by preciousjeni; 07-25-2006 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I got an interesting message from a member of Delta Gamma Pi that I'd like to share. It looks like TNX is just one in a series of unintentional mentors for Lambda Phi Xi.

Here is the pertinent information:

Quote:
http://www.lambdaphixi.org/Expansion.html

National Hazing Policy

(as stated in Article XXV Section 2 of the National Constitution)

Lambda Phi Xi Multicultural Sorority does not haze by any means. LFX Nationals do not haze, nor does it allow any of its chapters; collegiate, affiliate, or Alumna, to haze new or current members. Hazing degrades and embarrasses sisters. LFX is about sisterhood, love, honor, and personal values. Therefore, we do not find it necessary to verbally, physically, or emotionally abuse our members. Hazing is a very serious offense that has often resulted in death or serious injury. Being an organization of loyalty, commitment, dedication, and pride, we will never let our organization be anything but the best. As a direct result of our non-hazing policy, we do not allow any pledges to drink alcoholic beverages or participate in any unscheduled events during their pledge period.

Check out ours:

DGP National Policy on Hazing: Delta Gamma Pi Multicultural Sorority does not haze by any means. DGP Nationals do not haze, nor does it allow any of its chapters, associate, affiliate, or outside of chapters to haze new or current members. Hazing degrades and embarrasses its sisters. DGP is about sisterhood, love, honor, and support. Therefore, we do not find it necessary to verbally, physically, or emotionally abuse our members. Hazing is a very serious offense that has often resulted in death or serious injury. Being an organization of honor, commitment, dedication, and pride, we will never let our organization be anything but the best. As a direct result of our non-hazing policy, we do not allow any pledges to drink alcoholic beverages or ]participate in any unscheduled events during their pledge period.

Last edited by preciousjeni; 07-28-2006 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Archiving for the record...

Phi Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority
http://www.phinuxi.5u.com/

Similiarities:

Color (lavender/purple)
Emergence
FNX - QNX
Butterfly
"ONE"

Old 03-03-2007, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ONElove1997
hey jennis can you tell me where to find that Kappa Woman poem cause the link doesnt work?
#3 Lucid ONE ~ SP 06 ~ Tau Chapter
Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority Inc.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONElove1997 View Post
hey jennis can you tell me where to find that Kappa Woman poem cause the link doesnt work?
Give it some time. The site goes down when too many people access it. And be prepared to fall out!

ETA: Here ya go

Last edited by preciousjeni; 03-04-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
The problem is that we have a copyright on Theta Woman, so anyone using it, without permission, is committing an unlawful act. Of course, we'd have trouble proving that they've made any money/incurred any benefit from its use, but it's still not theirs to use.
I'm not too up to speed on copyright laws, but in effect we have to prove that they received some gain from the use of Theta Women for an effective suit?
Old 03-08-2007, 08:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch2tf View Post
I'm not too up to speed on copyright laws, but in effect we have to prove that they received some gain from the use of Theta Women for an effective suit?
These are our protections under copyright law...it is illegal to:
  • reproduce the work in copies;
  • prepare derivative works based upon the work;
  • distribute copies of the work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending;
  • perform the work publicly;
  • display the copyrighted work publicly
  • In the case of sound recordings, to perform the work publicly by means of a digital audio transmission.

The limitations on exclusive rights (fair use) are:

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors

Remember that copyright and trademark are different. Theta Woman is under copyright.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
These are our protections under copyright law...it is illegal to:
prepare derivative works based upon the work;
display the copyrighted work publicly

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
Based on my understanding of the above, they are subject to copyright infringement, as they used a substantial portion of the Theta Woman poem (the only thing being replaced is "Theta" and "lavender")