GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,152
1 members and 1,151 guests
No Members online

Old 03-14-2016, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Questions:

Hello All!
I have recently been looking into trying to bring greek life to my school. I have read some of the expansion info provided, but I honestly feel like it isn't that much help. At this point my school does not have greek life at all, possibly because we were not a university until recent years or possibly because we are a very small school (about 5,000-6,000). I am wondering if my school was to decide to open to greek life, what would be the chances of them wanting to come to our school? How do the different organizations choose if the school is the right one for them, do they talk to students? How long does this process take? Once I ask my school about it I will have no part in this process, correct? To get my school to open to greek life, does anyone have any idea what they would be looking for? I know we had organizations from other schools (local groups?) come to visit, they said we could join them at their school or we could start our own if we had 15 members.
Thank you in advance for any help.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-14-2016, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

There are 26 NPC groups and we can't possibly tell you what they all would want. In general these are the things they look at: quality of the school and students, do students typically attend there all 4 years (retention), any alumnae in the area, level of involvement, they may even ask alumnae for a vote on whether to colonize there, past history in at any schools in that area,housing or meeting space made available by the University,will the assign a staff member to oversee Greek Life, are they interested in bringing fraternities as well. Those sorts of questions are just general ones.

And you are correct,you would have no part in this unless they open sessions and voting to the student body. In which case you would have just your vote.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Size doesn't sound like a real deterrent in this case. My college only had about 1200 students, and it had (has) a booming Greek system. Being a "university" or not is also not a factor. My school did not have university status and has no plans to do so.

But there could be many, many other factors at work. Do some further research, and if you are ready for a challenge, take some initial steps and see what happens.

Best wishes!

Be a Volunteer!