GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,090
0 members and 2,090 guests
No Members online

Old 11-11-2007, 04:19 AM
GreekChat Member

3Rd year UCSD wants to rush

I will be rushing as a third year (next year) my GPA is currently not the greatest, but if I am around a 2.4 GPA, what are my chances of getting a bid? I am a friendly/likable person, it is just that my gpa sucks right now
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-11-2007, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

You need to check with your campus Panhellenic and find out the minimum g.p.a. requirement to go through recruitment. The individual chapters may have a higher minimun g.p.a. requirement for their members. No matter how wonderful a personality you have, you must meet the minimum g.p.a. in order to first go through recruitment, and second to pledge.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:53 PM

At UCSD being a 3rd year will have little affect on your chances. Having a 2.4 could kill your chances though. For SK the national minimum is 2.5.

My two suggestions would be 1) do everything you can to pull up your grades before the fall. 2) If you haven't already, make as many friends in the chapters as possible. If you're borderline on the grades, having friends to pull for you can at least keep you around an extra day or two.

You should be able to find out each chapters national grade requirement by going to the national websites or emailing someone at national about the minimum. Usually there's a general info email address that you would use. Chapters can require a higher GPA but if you're above the national requirement they'll have some wiggle room.

Good Luck!
Old 11-11-2007, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Your GPA will hurt you.

Concentrate and work on getting your GPA up. Your classes aren't going to get any easier make sure you can handle the workload along with the time in a sorority before you consider going through recruitment.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 11-11-2007, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Is FR in the fall? If so, that gives you all of Spring semester to get your GPA up.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

What is your actual GPA? Is 2.4 where you are now, or where you hope to be? As you get further into your major's classes, you should be achieving higher grades in your classes. Figure out what your GPA will have to be this semester and next to reach, for example, a 2.5, 2.75, etc.

I would think that poor grades could factor highly in first round cuts in any chapter.

Good luck, and put your classes first. A sorority (or any other activity/group) should be supplemental to your education.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

My GPA is slightly under a 2.0..but my classes are going pretty great for once =]
Old 11-13-2007, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

DITY?
Old 11-13-2007, 01:33 AM

Yeah, most sororities have a minimum GPA of at least a 2.5 to be extended a bid. I'd contact your school's Greek Life office for the specific GPA requirements for your campus, but more often than not, they're anywhere from a 2.5 to a 2.75 or higher.

I'm going to be blunt. I would suggest holding off on rushing until you can get your grades up to at least 2.5. If you go though with a GPA like the one you have now, you will most likely be very disappointed.

Also, please keep in mind that you're in college to get an education. You not only need decent grades for recruitment, but also to graduate.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 11-13-2007 at 01:37 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:29 AM

She's currently a Sophomore who's planning on rushing next year. She has this quarter (Fall), as well as Winter, and Spring to pull her grades up. Any classes she takes during the summer, either at UCSD or transerfable credits from a community college, will also pull her grades up. As long as she stays focused on her studies she should be able to improve the GPA.

OP~ make sure you seek out what ever resources you need. OASIS http://oasis.ucsd.edu/ and your college's Academic Advisors are two places you should defintely go for help. Having "been there, done that", I bow down to the Academic Advisors because they're totally the reason I was able to graduate.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:34 AM
GreekChat Member

If you're under a 2.0 you should be on academic probation at your school.

It's going to take at least a 4.0 to really have any effect and raise your grades.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

The UCSD Panhellenic site says -- among other things --

". . . must have a 2.5 GPA to even go through the recruitment process."

". . . the average sorority woman at UCSD boasts a higher GPA than the UCSD all-women's average and the UCSD all-students' average every single quarter without fail."

Going through recruitment as a junior, it would probably be desirable to have a GPA that's noticeably higher than the all-women's average.

Last edited by exlurker; 11-13-2007 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Not lookin' so good

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
She's currently a Sophomore who's planning on rushing next year. She has this quarter (Fall), as well as Winter, and Spring to pull her grades up. Any classes she takes during the summer, either at UCSD or transerfable credits from a community college, will also pull her grades up. As long as she stays focused on her studies she should be able to improve the GPA.
REALLY? I know that at Penn State if I choose to take a summer course at another school-the credits transfer but, the grades don't. For instance, If I decided to go to Bloomsburg University for summer classes because it is near my hometown and I get an "A" in the class-that's great, however, I will only get the 3.0 credits for the course of study. The "A" I received at Bloomsburg, Temple, Drexel, Community College, etc. will have no bearing on my GPA at Penn State. In fact-you have to watch yourself with the credits even counting if they don't fulfill the requirement at PSU. I had to take Stats 200 while at Penn State. I considered taking it at a Community College but, later was told by an Academic Advisor since Penn State's Stat. 200 class was a 4-credit class and most schools only have 3-credit Stats classes, I would essentially be wasting my money. If she's got LESS THAN a 2.0 maybe she should check into...I don't know....S-T-U-D-Y-I-N-G!

I'm glad she wants to get involved but, honestly-even if she did bring it up to a 2.5 (let's really be honest ladies of the NPC) because of her poor track record GPA-wise and the fact she is not exactly going to be a Freshman or a Sophmore but, a Junior.....her fate is pretty grim in the NPC world....If your minimum is a 2.5 you're not going to look for members (generally) who have JUST THAT or a little bit above.....Yeah-I'm not trying to be "Debby Downer" but, I'm being honest and realistic...
Old 11-14-2007, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Right now she is a sophomore, and depending on her school calendar (semester vs. quarter), she might not have any sophomore grades. This means that she has half the GPA that she will have going into recruitment. Still, it'd take a 4.0 and more credits this year to bring her up to a 3.0--maybe. Like 90% of the questions on this forum, it depends on the campus. Some campuses have lower GPA requirements and don't think twice about taking juniors. However, her junior status AND bare minimum GPA will be 2 strikes against her at most campuses.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Just to echo what SoCalGirl said, being a 3rd year won't hurt you but your GPA definitely will. Most chapters are very proud of their academic achievements at UCSD...and someone who is one quarter away from not making grades isn't exactly the ideal candidate for membership. You need to work really hard this year and take summer school to get your GPA up. Good luck next fall!