GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 808
1 members and 807 guests
No Members online

Old 07-29-2009, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Serious Preference Help Needed

I am currently in the process of arranging the preference ceremony for formal fall recruitment for my chapter, and I am having a lot of problems making it personal. Our chapter (Alpha Gamma Delta) has always used typical preference ceremonies that basically just tell potential new members what our values are, what we get out of the experience, and how new members are valuable, but I don't think our preference either helps us get women or loses us women. It's just kind of...blah.

I have heard of chapters doing things like writing letters to rush crushes, etc., but I don't really know how it works. Can anyone expand on this idea or give me ideas to make our preference more unique and memorable for new women? I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I go to a small liberal arts school, where some pref parties are as small as 10-15 PNMs. Pi Phi always has a great party, where they write letters and read them out loud, one about every girl at the party and what the chapter admires about her. Who wouldn't like hearing someone read them a letter of compliments? What a good strategy.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:22 PM

Be careful with Preference letters, they may be considered a "gift" per recruitment guidelines--particularly if they have the PNM's names on them and you let the PNMs keep them. According to how strict your Panhellenic follows the guidelines, PNMs are not allowed to leave your house with any items (letters, trinkets, etc). I'd run it by them prior to recruitment just in case. You don't want an infraction.

I have heard of chapters doing the Pref letter idea, and just having active sisters read them, not actually giving it to the PNM, and putting them in the Bid Day bags of the girls who end up getting bids. So the girls who join get to have their Pref letters to keep!

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I graduated eons ago, but we followed the Alpha Gam ceremony and wrote letters. We took the PNMs to our rooms (our roommates had PNMs too, so no hot-boxing) and had them read a letter that we wrote to them. They were not allowed to take it with them but gave it to them on bid day.

The letters must have worked; I never lost a PNM from Pref to another chapter.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

From my "all-knowing-PNM" point of view () that sounds really great. As a PNM, I would love to experience something like that.

Also .. I have a question. I've heard the term "hot-boxing" used on here before, but I'm still unclear as to what that is?

"If you find the girls that love the you, you love..well then that's just fAbulΦus."
Old 07-29-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by court4short View Post

Also .. I have a question. I've heard the term "hot-boxing" used on here before, but I'm still unclear as to what that is?
Hotboxing = too many sisters paired with one PNM during recruitment with the intent of making her feel pressured/uncomfortable. Example: PNMs should not be in house rooms with doors shut and like 3 members talking to them telling them to "Pleaaaseee rank Alpha first!"

I think the rule my school followed was no more than 2 sisters to one PNM. During House Tours and Pref, when PNMs were touring the rooms, doors had to be left open at all times. PNMs were NOT to be in rooms with sisters with doors shut.

I'm pretty sure one on one convos can also be considered hotboxing if a PNM is alone in a room and being pressured.

ETA: The official Panhellenic definition:

Members may not participate in “Hot Boxing” during recruitment events. “Hot Boxing” is when there are 2 or more active members engaging in conversation with only 1 potential new member. Additionally, one-on-one conversation between an active member and potential new member cannot occur when there is no one else in the room.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-29-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:44 PM

If this isn't giving too much away, do you have a specific AGD ceremony you must use? Also your problem might be in the delivery. If your president is supposed to read something but she sounds like Ben Stein in Ferris Bueller, consider having another sister read her part.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

We alternate who spoke just for that reason. I never thought it was boring because we did have a sister sing, "The Rose" and was accompanied by a sister who was an excellent pianist.

Since prefs were typically large, one group took PNMs to the rooms for the letters while another group ate dessert. Then each group switched. This took up about 2/3 of the time. The rest of the time was the ceremony.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up KSUViolet.

And I'm seriously laughing so hard @ 33girl's Ben Stein comment.

"If you find the girls that love the you, you love..well then that's just fAbulΦus."
Old 07-29-2009, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If this isn't giving too much away, do you have a specific AGD ceremony you must use? Also your problem might be in the delivery. If your president is supposed to read something but she sounds like Ben Stein in Ferris Bueller, consider having another sister read her part.
Anyone...anyone...

To the OP - please be sure and check the Panhellenic rules as on some campuses you're not allowed to give (or I think maybe even make and read) letters to PNMs.

I don't know what your pref ceremony is like, but do you have people give testimonials or tell stories about their time in AGD? That might help make it more personal.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much for all the suggestions about reading the letters and then putting them in gift bags on Bid Day, etc. That's exactly the kind of personalization I was looking for.

Also, because some people asked, we do not have a specific preference ceremony we have to follow. Usually we find stuff on our organization website and look at past preferences and come up with one unique to that year. And we do include personal testimonies. I don't think our pref is bad, I just think it needs to be more special for PNMs, and having our members say something nice about them in front of everyone sounds like a really great way to help with that.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Just another thought. Have your read the three pref ceremonies on Alpha Gam website in the Member Section? I really like the one that Omega does.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

We do a lot of storytellling. It is really beautiful!!!

We don't do letters on our pref night. One thing that I've heard about the letters to be wary of- sometimes, there's a PNM that the active's haven't gotten to know well, due to the amount of girls going through the recruitment process. If one of these girls ends up at your pref and you don't know her that well, it could be a turn-off if her letter is too generic. Some girls have ranked the non-letter writing sororities higher because their letter was "impersonal". I think letters are beautiful- I know I would love it but the letter has to be sincere and specific!

Just thought I'd pass that along.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Just another thought. Have your read the three pref ceremonies on Alpha Gam website in the Member Section? I really like the one that Omega does.
I had my eye on that one. It's very pretty.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

** Let me qualify by saying my Chapter does not write letters so my knowledge is strictly from conversations with others that do.**

I've heard mixed results about using letters with far more positives than negatives though. I've heard some Chapters and former PNMs say a personalized letter is an amazing yet simple way to truly touch a PNM's heart. Their Recruitment results proved this must have been true.

However be careful, especially when dealing with a campus that has a very large pool of PNMs. There may be PNMs who make it to Pref that never quite created a meaningful bond with any one active. (It can and does happen when dealing with recruitments of well over 1,000 PNMs.) So some ended up with a form letter feel, almost like "insert PNM name here". That defeats the whole purpose.

Also keep in mind, some people (actives) simply aren't comfortable writing these sorts letters even to PNMs they did connect with. Maybe writing about feelings is just not their thing?

It doesn't matter the cause as the end result is the same. Seemingly insincere letters can turn a PNM off of a Chapter. This is especially true once they leave and start sharing and comparing. (Yes, we all know PNMs are not supposed to talk after leaving Pref and before signing Bid Cards, but let's be honest many still do.)

Last edited by Zillini; 07-30-2009 at 07:53 AM.