GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,406
2 members and 2,404 guests
No Members online

Old 10-22-2000, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Touched By An Angel (Sunday night)

Just flipped it on (about 15 minutes after it started). The story is about a college student whose father is making all class, etc. decisions for him. These include wanting him to join a fraternity, i.e "get yourself down there and sign up to pledge." I can't believe this, but they just (the supposed fraternity brothers) told him that since he'd missed the other "tests" to join, he was going to have to drink a huge amount of tequila!

Normally I like this show but I can't believe they're taking this angle... obviously no one talked to any of the fraternity headquarters to get accurate information.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-23-2000, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Next week's CSI episode is called the Pledging of Mr. Johnson. Yes, you guessed it, an investigation about the alledged hazing death in a Las Vegas fraternity.

I wish I had enough money to force these producers to make a positive episode regarding Greeks!

Old 10-23-2000, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Sabrina also had a greek theme last Friday. She and her roommate wanted to do a story on this sorority Mu Pi. It seemed that the pledges had to do all the homework of the actives if they wanted to be a member.
Old 10-23-2000, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

A few years back, there was a MOnday night movie (fictional) about a girl pledging a sorority that died and the problems that came to the school after that. It was based on a pledge scheme that had actually happened but without the ill consequences. We had our meeting early that night since all houses were asked to watch it.

I find it funny that the reputation of Greek organizations has changed so dramatically as of late. It used to just be the ditzy girl theme (Saturday Night LIve Tri-Delt skits) and preppy guys. Now we are contrived as sadistic people. It's pretty sad. THe thing to remember is that these are stereotypes put on us by those outside our organizations. Therefore, something in our presentation must be the cause. Until we as IFC, NPC, NPHC all come together to create a "case statement" then these portrayls will continue.

When was the last time we saw a good movie or tv show about being Greek?
Old 10-23-2000, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KarenC725:
A few years back, there was a MOnday night movie (fictional) about a girl pledging a sorority that died and the problems that came to the school after that.
It was called, "Broken Pledges...Dying to Belong" If that's not the ultimate drama movie of the week name, I don't know what is.

Old 10-23-2000, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I knew it was something like that! Thanks. That is my point though, that name alone would have some parents not let their children pledge.
Old 10-23-2000, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
I had this wild idea that we should (all) band together and create an advocacy group called GAAP. Greeks Advocating Accurate Portrayal.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-23-2000, 08:13 PM

Exclamation

Hey, Roma. Touch THIS. (whack)

I remember the Dying to Belong movie...a pre-Boys Don't Cry Hilary Swank was the "heroine" standing alone against the evil sorority chicks, and she was so gol-darned obnoxious I was rooting for her to get hazed.

The hazing emphasis is ridiculous, not to even mention the totally fictional portrayals of other aspects like the rush procedure. As much as I can't believe I'm saying this, I think one of the more sympathetic and realistic portrayals of Greek life was on 90210. They showed the girls going through rush, and Kelly and Donna loved it but Brenda made a rational choice that it wasn't for her. They also showed them doing philanthropies and such. I know it was far fetched in most ways, but at least they portrayed two well-liked characters becoming part of a sorority. That would never happen today - take Felicity, for example. They've never even mentioned Greek life (although I don't know how prominent Greek life is at the real NYU, so they could be protraying things as they actually are).

I think Pnguin Trax's idea is awesome! Greeks have become one of the few groups that it's politically correct to completely rip on and allow no equal time whatsoever. When I say that, people say "Well, you CHOSE it." That's true. But it still doesn't open me up to get attacked for a bunch of ridiculous stereotypes with no basis in fact.

KarenC mentioned the groups coming together...personally, I think that the statements that are issued need to have a little more teeth in them. The statements issued by NPC when Dying to Belong came out were so tepid, they made no ripple in the water at all. If we are as passionate about our organizations as we claim, we should show it.

Old 10-23-2000, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Exclamation

Mentioning Brenda and 90210 reminded of a random movie that I saw on cable starring Shannon D. (I don't recall what it's called). She portrayed a young college woman, in a sorority, involved in other activities as well (the movie made references to talent shows, when she was younger, specifically vocal music).

Actually, Shannon's character was not sterotyped at all - it was a very well developed characterization of a young woman who was close to her family (especially her much-younger brother), loyal to her friends (who were mostly non-greek), and in some ways offbeat (she sang the lead in a college garage-band!)

I think the main emphasis of the movie was that another young woman was stalking her character, and basically making her life miserable...however, any and all aspects of sorority life was portrayed in a very positive light. There were scenes shot in various parts of a sorority house - the living room, a bedroom (and the girls were studying, in that scene). I think a sorority engagement/congratulation ritual was also portrayed, in a very tasteful fashion. Also, there was a scene in which the sorority sisters were discussing whom to extend bids to, and why - again, tastefully done.

Can anyone think of the name for this movie?? Whoever wrote the script undoubtedly had exposure (perhaps direct experience) with greek life. It's one of the few movies I've scene that has casually incorporated greek life in the script in a positive light, and not resorted to stereotypes.

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 10-24-2000, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Thumbs up

Yup, that's the one! Thanks Laura. It definitely is a movie that rocks.

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 10-24-2000, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by PnguinTrax:
Greeks Advocating Accurate Portrayal.
I'd love to be a founding member of GAAP! I think this is awesome. Did you guys know that Cher's daughter, Chastity, runs an organization that oversees the portrayal of gays & lesbians in the tv and film industry? My mother was reading an article to me about it. So we have that organization, we have the animal welfare group that oversees the use of animals in tv and film...so why not GAAP? I say we go for it!

Oh, and I always have to add "The Critically Acclaimed" before talking about Dying to Belong. Yeah right - that Sixx reject from Blossom was a real academy winner in that one

------------------
"Alpha Chi Omega - If you only had 2 wishes, what would your second one be?"
Old 10-24-2000, 04:29 PM
kuu_kuu

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl:
As much as I can't believe I'm saying this, I think one of the more sympathetic and realistic portrayals of Greek life was on 90210. They showed the girls going through rush, and Kelly and Donna loved it but Brenda made a rational choice that it wasn't for her. They also showed them doing philanthropies and such. I know it was far fetched in most ways, but at least they portrayed two well-liked characters becoming part of a sorority.
Yes, for the most part, Kelly and Donna's sorority (anyone remember the name?) was portrayed positively. However, I do remember that there was one episode, where Donna was recommending a tall female plain-looking basketball player, and her "snobby" sisters didn't go for her, but the basketball player got a bid (presumably this was all COB) from a sorority down the street and she was going to accept it, and Donna told her to "go for it", and kind of showed an "in your face" attitude to her sisters.

Steve Sanders' fraternity was pretty stereotypical though, as evidenced by the name "KEG" house...(hmm...what does that suggest?). I also remember the whole John Sears & Kelly thing, along with when Casper VanDien was briefly on the show as a KEG'er and he was pursuing Donna. There seemed to be no absence of boozing and womanizing. But I think they did show a Dance A Thon or something, too.

...but I digress! Does anyone miss 90210 as much as I do??
Old 10-24-2000, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I really miss 90210, but it is always on in reruns on FX. I don't know the the sorority's full name, but I think they called themselves Alphas.

------------------
I am who I am.
Those who matter don't mind,
Those who mind don't matter.
Old 10-24-2000, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
The sorority Donna and Kelly belonged to on 90210 was Alpha Omega.
Old 10-25-2000, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I remember that "Broken Pledges...Dying to Belong" movie. I believe I saw it when it first aired. I remember always wanted to be in a sorority & was a little frightened by it, but here I am...who knows how long it's been...& yes, I still want to be in a sorority (rushing in the spring ) Although, it din't change my mind, I do think that this gives not only the general public, but especially prospects and parents a bad attitude toward Greek life.

Allison