GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,700
2 members and 2,698 guests
Mooch279, PGD-GRAD

Old 05-14-2004, 02:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Do you know other GLOs' secret info?

This might not last long, but I'm really curious.

I know that a few GCers, for example wptw, are ritual researchers and know a lot of info about a lot of GLOs.

However, have you ever had someone from another GLO tell you secret information? Perhaps even without your asking them to do so? If so, what is your relationship to that person?

I know basically all of the info for one fraternity. My good guy friend told me one time--this chapter lost their charter on my campus. I also accidentally found some of their initiation stuff one time in their house when I was looking for my lost camera (before they got kicked off, obviously). I also know a few things here and there about other sororities on campus due to drunk members spilling details.

Not that I consider the behavior above particularly appropriate--at no time did I solicit information from anyone. But, for example, I've had friends tell me their parents told them info about their GLOs from college....
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-14-2004, 02:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I know the handshake of a sorority... and I know some stuff (although not necessarily ritual) about another sorority that I shouldn't know... but it was all volunteered to me... I would never ask anyone for this info because honestly if you're not in the GLO it doesn't have the same meaning anyway...
Old 05-14-2004, 02:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to thermobryan
OH yes, yes i do...I know secret handshakes, meanings of letters, challenges, rituals, etc etc....
Old 05-14-2004, 08:40 AM

I know the handshake of two sororities and the secret motto of one and I know the secret motto of a fraternity. They were all told to me by drunken members while I was sober. Still, it does not have the same meaning to me as it does to the members of these organizations and it's not information that I pass along to others.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I was shown the handshake of a frat once. I can't remember it as it was shown to me about 5 years ago. Plus, I don't really feel comfortable knowing that kind of info. So, I am glad my memory is awful.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

No comment.

That means yes.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I know the meaning behind the letters of 3 fraternities and 2 other sororities. They were drunk, I was sober. I did get really pissed one time though when a member of a fraternity came up and told me what my letters meant. He was engaged to one of our older sisters (graduated 2 years before my time), and they had "traded" secrets.

I've wondered about this before. If, back then, when GLOs were being founded, it was standard for the students to study things such as the Greek language, didn't they all know the meanings behind each other's letters?
Old 05-14-2004, 09:05 AM
laidbackfella

I plead the Fif.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

ha ha ha, quiz me!

Grips: There are only so many handshakes one can do, you'll figure it out.
Mottos: Grab the orgs. pledge manual, and read between the lines.

Last edited by ZZ-kai-; 05-14-2004 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I know about one of my ex's fraternity stuff...he told me one time, I really don't know why. I didn't tell him a darn thing. I supposedly know another sororities grip, but I doubt it's really right. One of our older members told me because her cousin was in this org, but I don't know if that is really it.

Kinda sad that so many people just spill the beans on their orgs under the influence.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
After reading Pledged I "know" some stuff (all of which I take with a grain of salt).

I've been told by a fraternity member that he knew our secrets. But I don't think he does.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXiD670

I've wondered about this before. If, back then, when GLOs were being founded, it was standard for the students to study things such as the Greek language, didn't they all know the meanings behind each other's letters?
Don't know about that. There could be tons of meanings behind all the letters, considering all the word combinations they could have had.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

A lot of my family members are Greek and I remember one time playing in the same room while my mom and aunt talked about ritual (they were in the same GLO). But that was so long ago I don't remember. If I asked she might tell me but I really don't care?
Old 05-14-2004, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

A few years ago the theme for my chapter's big fall date function was Caesar's Palace so everyone wore togas or similar attire. There were several guys there from XYZ fraternity and they were all wearing these robe things. The rumor was that the robes were part of their ritual. We all thought it was very bizarre that they would do that, but I never heard anyone ask them if the robes really were a part of their ritual.

I really don't understand why people share their ritual with other people outside of their org. I mean it's not like if someone were to find out the secrets that anything bad would happen, but I just don't see the point. And I really don't understand spilling the beans when you're drunk unless you are someone who wouldn't care about telling your secrets whether you were sober or drunk.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Hopefully that grain of salt is lining a margarita glass!
Yes Pledged and those SECRETS sites should be taken as gospel

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Pi Phi
After reading Pledged I "know" some stuff (all of which I take with a grain of salt).