GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,322
2 members and 2,320 guests
Cookiez17, flamboyanttree

Old 05-19-2000, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Salience Send a message via Yahoo to Salience
Hmm, I don't know how this convo is going either way, but it IS interesting, especially to read GFK and ManNUPEs tesimonies- cuz yall was walkin round Jerusalem!

And, yes, enlightening as well.

BTW: "And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find me, unafraid"

to continue seeking that particular goal...

------------------
@~~^~~~~
Subtlety is the key ;o)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-19-2000, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LOL:
BURNING SANDS IS A KAPPA OF COURSE! DOESN'T HE DRIP WITH THE IMMATURITY, CONCEIT AND IGNORANCE OF A KAPPA MAN. I MEAN WHAT OTHER FRATERNITY WOULD DEVOTE THEIR TIME TO DUMB ASS FORUMS AS THE ONES HE PUTS UP IN ORDER TO GET OTHER GREEKS TRASHED AND TO GET PEOPLE ALL UPSET OR GET THEIR FEELINGS HURT! NO OTHER MAN BUT A KAPPA MAN!! WHO HAS NOTHING TO DO IN BETWEEN PATTING HIS SELF ON THE BACK AND MAKING WHORES OUT OF SWEET HEARTS AND DIAMONDS!!!!!!!
I personally feel that deciding that stereotyping people like that shows you immaturity. Weather he is a kappa or not he is a greek and we need to stop that bickering here
Old 05-19-2000, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

SALIENCE: I am sorry but I did not get your message- Little confused around here- CAN YOU ELABORATE? PLEASE~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 05-20-2000, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Salience Send a message via Yahoo to Salience
Quote:
Originally posted by Ghostface-Killah:
The thing is that I cannot asure you that all my sorors did it or that all org. are doing it. We need to stop worrying about what the next head is doind- I asked who is going to NYC AIDS walk on Monday- ONLY ONE PERSON REPLIED!!!!!!!
As far as pledging- There is more to it than just wood. NOOOO NOT EVERYBODY CAN TAKE an ass beating- Who cares- THERE IS MORE TO IT!!!!!!! ... I NEED TO feel that if someone denies something when we are trying to help the community, she will be strong and educated enough to stand up and in a polite, educated and firm way demand what needs to be provided!!!!
WHEN I PLEDGED, and yes I did!!! I had library hours (5 hours a day every day) In addition, I had two hours every night during set to do my school work. Big sisters provided for me. It was not handded to me- I HAD TO USE MY RESOURCES!!!!!! IT WA MYJOB TOCOME TO THeM AND TELL THEM WHAT I NEEDED IT- Many times it was denied, but that is the whole point of it- MAKE IT HAPPEN- If this did not work, try that....

GFK: I just giving props on the response. It is apparent, though we will agree to disagree on certain things, that your replies are well-thought out and good illustrations.
Y'all were "preaching" on your love for your respective orgs, and I respect that.

------------------
@~~^~~~~
Subtlety is the key ;o)
Old 05-20-2000, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

SALIENCE_ Thanks, I just did not understand your comment- I do now-
Thanks again and be safe- I know we not always act like we know, but as I ALWAYS SAY: YOU LIVE YOU LEARN!!!!
Take care
Old 05-21-2000, 08:45 PM
17th Glamour Girl

Lightbulb

I am sadden by the changes made to the intake/pledging process. Years ago I dreamed that if I had a daughter she would pledge like I did. I dreamed I would be there on campus when she "came out" sing the ivy song and strutting for AKA. But, you must realize that money talks and bull---- walks. Hazing only became an issue when parents started sueing universities and colleges and fraternities and sororities holding them liable for personal injuries sustained by their children during the pledging process. In 1984 when I pledged, our chapter was insured for $1 million by Lords of London. Insurance companies are the most lucrative unregulated businesses and they would not loose millions at the hands of college students. At that time in my life I thought nothing of this. But now as parent I think differently.
Old 05-27-2000, 12:44 AM
bknowledgespr.85

FIRST OF ALL I WILL ATTEMPT TO TRANSCEND ALL WITH A SIMPLE GREETING OF "HOTEP!"

THE INDIVIDUAL WHO POSED SUCH AN INTRIGUING QUESTION WITH REGARDS TO ONE BEING A MEMBER OF THEIR RESPECTIVE FRATERNAL ORGANIZATION ON PAPER OR IN HEART DESERVES TO BE COMMENDED. I PLEDGED A-PHI-A FOR 17 WEEKS AND SUCH WAS DONE AFTER SPENDING MY ENTIRE FRESHMAN YEAR AS A MEMBER OF AN INTEREST GROUP. OH HOW I LONG FOR THE DAYS WHEN THE SINCERITY AND INTEREST FOR THE ELITE 9?(BACK IN THE DAY IT WAS STRICTLY 8) TO BE REKINDLED. UNFORTUNATELY, TIMES HAVE CHANGED. I BEAR WITNESS TO THE GUARANTEE MENTALITY THAT MANY INDIVIDUALS HAVE WITH REGARDS TO BECOMING A MEMBER LET ALONE EXPRESSING INTEREST IN JOINING (NOT PLEDGING) A FRATERNITY/SORORITY. AS ONE WHO DEALS WITH TODAY'S YOUTH ON A DAILY BASIS I CAN HEAR YOUNG MEN WITH NO KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT CONSTITUTES GENERAL ELECTIVES AND A COLLEGE NOMENCLATURE STATE WITH PRIDE, "I AM GOING TO BE A Q-DOG, PRETTY BOY, ETC." YOUNG WOMEN NOT BARELY OUT OF THE 8TH GRADE STATE OUT OF IGNORANCE THAT THEY ARE GOING TO BE AN AKA, DELTA, ETC. THE POINT THAT I AM TRYING TO MAKE IS SIMPLE. LIFE IS FULL OF TESTS. AS A PEOPLE OF THE SUN WE HAVE LOST CONNECTION WITH REALIZING THE IMPORTANCE THAT LIFE ALSO HAS A SIMPLE EQUATION EMBLEMATICAL OF MAAT. SOMETHING PLUS SOMETHING EQUALS SOMETHING. SOMETHING FROM NOTHING AMOUNTS AMOUNTS TO NOTHING. MY FELLOW SISTERS AND BROTHERS OF AFRICAN FRATERNALISM CAN WE AT LEAST REALIZE AND AGREE THAT THE PLEDGE PROCESS NEEDED TO BE REVAMPED BUT CERTAINLY NOT DESTROYED. A MEMBER ON PAPER ONLY MERITS NO DISCUSSION BUT WE MUST BE HONEST BECAUSE AS WE HAVE EMBARKED UPON A NEW CENTURY THEY HAVE SEEMINGLY BECOME BUT A MAJORITY. THE CONCEPT OF PROTOCOL IS A FOREIGN CONCEPT TO A GREAT MANY. A CASE AT POINT CAN BE OF HOW I AM PROUD WHENEVER I COME INTO CONTACT WITH A FRATER/SOROR. THE IRONY OF THIS MATTER CAN BE ATTESTED BY A SUPERFICIAL ATTITUDE AMONG MANY NEW JACKS. SIMPLY SAYING "SKEE-PHI" TO A QUEEN OF THE A DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE ASS IS WHAT IS BEING SPOKEN TO. SPEAKING TO A NUPE, QUE, SIGMA, OR IOTA SHOULD NOT BE SO STRANGE BECAUSE WE SHOULD ALL HAVE A COMMON GOAL RELATIVE TO OUR FRATERNALISM. THE SOLE PURPOSE OF AFRICAN FRATERNALISM IS TO HELP THOSE WHO CANNOT HELP THEMSELVES. I PLEDGED, AND I AM STILL PLEDGING. THE PLEDGE PROCESS IS MUCH HARDER TODAY BECAUSE THE MINDSET OF OUR LEADERSHIP IS WICKED AND BEING WASTED. AS LONG AS A SISTER OR BROTHER IS WITH VISION AND TRYING TO AID AND ASSIST THEIR PEOPLE FROM WITHIN THEIR RESPECTIVE ORGANIZATIONS I CAN ONLY HAVE LOVE FOR THEM. FOR THE PAPERCHASERS THAT SPORT THE BRANDS, TEARDROPS, AND COLDEST FRATERNITY/SORORITY GEAR THEY ARE AS WEAK AS KOOLAIDE WITHOUT SUGAR. NO MATTER HOW LONG ONE PLEDGED OR ENDURED COMING OR BEING INTOOK INTO THEIR RESPECTIVE ORGANIZATION THE FACT OF THE MATTER LIES IN WHETHER OR NOT THEY WILL SPECULATE OR OPERATE FROM WITHIN THEIR ORGANIZATION. I CONSIDER MYSELF TO BE AN OPERATIVE ALPHA. STAY TUNED FOR MOR CONCEPTS TO BE RENDERED FORTH YOU BY BKNOWLEDGESPR.85 AKA PHAPHIA.
Old 05-31-2000, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VibrantEnchantress
You hit the nail on the head with this one. There is definitely something you can do to make pledging a positive thing rather than harmful or muder. You can come up with a well developed method of pledging submit it to your chapter and on to the next place in the chain of command. I am about some longer and endearing process as well and will begin doing something about it. However, we must put an end to harming a fellow sister or brother. That part is ridiculous. Nationals are being sued left and right for the dumb things that various local chapters do and is it worth all of that? Being ina frat or sorority is about bonding and doing service to all mankind in addition to some other things but harming is not one of them.
Quote:
Originally posted by BurningSands:
I think this topic here is pretty good because members in org. sometime do not approve of "paper intakes" people who learn a little history 7 pay their money. I'm not for hazing, but I think we should go back to how pledge was. Out in the open so people kan see there is no hazing going on. One still need to learn the history, but that intake should have to cross the BURNINGSANDS.........
Old 05-31-2000, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VibrantEnchantress
ManndingoNUPE said it right, I do agree. And I wish that all sorors and sister-sorors were like you Diva6 but they are not and that is why this forum was made. It is about what you do for the organization not how you got in it. There are several folks, as stated before, who were made and do nothing for the organization. There are even those who pledged underground who never earn the letters and what was all the beating for? Nothing, they aren't recognized by anyone. I have a friend right now who pledged like that and he has nothing. The only folks who wouold call hima frat would be those who crossed him because it was all underground. He has since graduated undergrad and wanted to be active grad and they did everything but laugh in his face. Do you all honestly believe that your founders were beaten almost to death for the organization that they founded? Well, neither do I. With changing the current MIP for your organization you should include week or month long community service projects to see who is really dedicated or church service for those who speak of God and so forth. Try that route, then many of those bad seeds will be weeded out. Who knows if you would have gone through that way yourself, maybe you wouldn't have made it through.

Think about it
Old 06-01-2000, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

This is my first time reading this paticular forum. It is very interesting. I know that on my campus the blglos on the yard still have coming out parties they may not be exactly like in the old days but it is still tight to see the neos strutting their stuff. I do not know where everyone is from but I know for a fact that at my school they have not done away with pledging entirely and i have a hard time believing that they have every where else. They just do it in a different way there is always away around the rules. Also people can be "pledged" without an outright beatdown(though some people still do that). The necessity of it though i suppose is truly an issue in the greek world I know a girl who supposedly paper but she is 100% active in her org. just as the ones who so-called pledged! You really would not know if a person was "paper" unless they told you or you knew them or the school they attended. I do think that the pledge process did need a change because i can imagine that alot of lawsuits came mostly from those who paid their money pledged and then were denied.......and hell i do not blame those who were done that way for being angry! I am glad that was before my time at the school I am at now. Eliminating the pledge process completely is not cool either but as i said before it is not eliminated at my school and i am sure at other schools people have found another way around it!!!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2000, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

FIRST OF ALL LOL, I WAS A KAPPA DIAMOND AND I NEVER ACCEPTED MYSELF AS A WHORE. MY KAPPA BROTHERS PREPARED ME FOR THE REAL THING AND THEY RESPECTED ME. THEY CAME TO ME BECAUSE THEY KNEW I WAS A YOUNG WOMAN OF HIGH MORALS AND THEY KNEW, PARDON MY FRENCH,I WOULDN'T TAKE ANY SHIT. I AM PROUD THAT I WAS A KAPPA DIAMOND BECAUSE IN SOME FORM THE KAPPA MEN BROUGHT DISIPLINE INTO MY LIFE, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. KAPPA ALPHA PSI MADE ME UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF GREEK LIFE. KAPPA ALPHA PSI POLISHED ME AND THEN ALLOWED ME TO MAKE MY LIFE TIME PLEGE TO THE SORORITY OF MY CHOICE.BEING A DIAMOND GAVE ME A LOT AND I THANK YOU BURNINGSANDS FOR THAT BECAUSE WITH OUT THAT I WOULDN'T BE A QUEEN UNTIL DEATH. AND FOR YOUR INFORMATION LOL, KNOW BEFORE YOU SPEAK NEXT TIME, IF YOU DON'T KNOW KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT,(OR ASK PERMISSION TO SPEAK), BECUASE I HAVE ALWAYS HAD A GREAT DEAL OF RESPECT FOR MYSELF AND I ALWAYS WILL.
P.S. TO ALL OF MY WONDERFUL KAPPA MEN OUT THERE, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU
FOR HELPING ME CREATE A WONDERFUL ME!!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2000, 03:17 PM
MsDetroit

Talking

LOL,

YOU NEED A HUG
Old 12-11-2008, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Paper are those who only did the paperwork those that pledged did a "different" process. but the pledge/hazing process has been illegal for some time now , although some chapters still have lines. People do what they want to do