GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,181
1 members and 2,180 guests
Titchou

Old 10-13-2003, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to enlightenment06
Financial

To the bruhs who aren't financial, I ask: why not? And is there anything that can be done to change this? For those of whom money is an issue, what if there was a way to subsidize the cost? Gracias. Peace
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-13-2003, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Even though I am a life member I think it is a valid question. One thing is that we remind our college Brothers that the first 2 years you get a discount on your dues. Also make something worth your money. ie Now I am financial what do I get back for my money.

Sphinxpoet
Old 10-29-2003, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Young brothers in my chapter and those that are not active tell me often they don't have the cash for my chapter. Local dues are different amounts. We require Brothers to pay a housing assessment of $1200 over a period of five years in addition to regular dues from $250.00 - $350.00 per year.

My chapter does not do a great deal of fundraising. As a result, we pay for events/activities by asking each Brother to contribute.

Many young Brothers may also be in grad school, have new families or don't make an income to support being active in some chapters.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Financial

Quote:
Originally posted by enlightenment06
To the bruhs who aren't financial, I ask: why not? And is there anything that can be done to change this? For those of whom money is an issue, what if there was a way to subsidize the cost? Gracias. Peace
I've been financial since I crossed the sands but I'll throw in anyway. For grad bruhs it's simply a matter of want to. We all do what we want to in life, so it's hard to think that a brother -- who by definition is resourceful, tenacious, etc..-- can't get his financial commitment to the frat together. If you want to, you will.
Undergrads (u.g.) are in a slightly different boat. Set aside a portion of party proceeds so that they can be registered delegates to conventions, etc.. As for the other, there's part-time gigs, other legit ways to get "ends". Moral of the story: -- Alphas don't really deal in excuses. If we want it, we go get it.

---------
Sphinxpoet wrote:Also make something worth your money. ie Now I am financial what do I get back for my money.
--------
Although I'm down with what I think is the spirit behind the comment, I don't agree with what's written. What Alpha gives, IMO, is intrinsic value -- fraternity, cohesion, manhood, etc... This is why intake fails -- it alone doesn't screen well enough for those who only want brotherhood for what the frat has to give.

Sphinx, if I've misinterpreted what you said, or meant, sincerest Egyptian apologies.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 10-30-2003, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Financial

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyB06

---------
Sphinxpoet wrote:Also make something worth your money. ie Now I am financial what do I get back for my money.
--------
Although I'm down with what I think is the spirit behind the comment, I don't agree with what's written. What Alpha gives, IMO, is intrinsic value -- fraternity, cohesion, manhood, etc... This is why intake fails -- it alone doesn't screen well enough for those who only want brotherhood for what the frat has to give.

Sphinx, if I've misinterpreted what you said, or meant, sincerest Egyptian apologies.
No offense taken. I agree with what you said. I thiink in the ideals we uphold I think we should see the value returned in being financial and those intrinsic values you speak of are just that. Nowadays I think people go around asking, well what can I get out of Alpha. Alpha is what you put into it.
Sphinxpoet
Old 10-30-2003, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Financial

Quote:
Originally posted by sphinxpoet
No offense taken. I agree with what you said. I thiink in the ideals we uphold I think we should see the value returned in being financial and those intrinsic values you speak of are just that. Nowadays I think people go around asking, well what can I get out of Alpha. Alpha is what you put into it.
Sphinxpoet

...add me to the millions and millions of fans (fraternal division).
~ Luke 19:10