GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,467
1 members and 2,466 guests
No Members online

Old 10-08-2000, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
Lightbulb Greek Life After College

I am very interested in hearing others opinions on how alumnae life is better/worse/the same as Greek life while in college. I personally am working on becoming a national officer in my sorority. I am full of dedication, ideas, and the tireless energy needed to make my sorority the best it can be. I also feel self conscious when I am speaking to a co-worker if I mention the word "sorority". I feel like they are looking at me with "poor girl, can't let go of the past" eyes. I know 4 Greeks who were active in college and just do not care to be active now because they don't live in the house, or can't participate in recruitment, etc. Basically, they hate the fact that alumnae life is different. One TKE said to me "I used to be a TKE", but I wanted to say "Hey, you always will be a TKE!". Why is alumnae life seen in such a bad light my collegiates? How can our national orgs make the idea of participating in the sorority/fraternity for life a more appealing prospect? Also, why do seniors get burnout and no longer want to particpate in the chapter activities? I am just SO BLOWN AWAY by that idea. This is your last active year, make as many memories as you can!!! OK, I've rambled enough, but I would love to hear from you all!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-08-2000, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, well, I've been exposed to mainly BGLOs and LGLOs and I've found that while many alumni move on because their lives become very hectic after graduation, many alumni become heavily involved. I know of many chapters whose alumni are actively involved in the recruitment procedures, activities, etc. I attended a step show this past weekend and I was moved to see all the alumni that came out, in full nalia, to support their young sorors/fraters.

Actually, a NPHC fraternity on my campus recently celebrated an anniversary and everyone was buzzing about all the old xyz'ers that came out to our campus to celebrate with them. It was great seeing the young men hanging out and talking with the older members, all wearing their colors proudly.

In all honesty, that is another thing that prevented me from immediately becoming involved in the NPC system. I just didn't see the same kind of "everlasting" love I see from other orgs. I hope I didn't offend anyone by that statement, that's just simply my own personal observation.
Old 10-08-2000, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been a fairly active alumna since my graduation in 1974. (I was a leadership consultant for year, have been a chapter advisor, started an alumnae club, served on two national committees.) I know what you mean about the rolled eyes and "haven't you outgrown that stuff." I say that my fraternity means more to me now than it did when I was in college; that I promised to serve whenever I could; that I want other women to have the opportunity to have a comparable experience.

HTH. (Don't forget to support your fraternity's foundation, too!)
Old 10-08-2000, 09:51 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmagrrl:
I also feel self conscious when I am speaking to a co-worker if I mention the word "sorority". I feel like they are looking at me with "poor girl, can't let go of the past" eyes.
Man, I know EXACTLY what you mean!! The way I look at it is - I made the best friends of my life through the sorority, friends I still talk to every day. By supporting Greek life, I do so in the hope that someone else will find what I did, especially since college administrators seem interested in controlling more and more of the students' social life. Greek life is one of the only places that doesn't happen (i.e., you can choose who to associate with)

Pardon my tangent. Mr. "33" is in a band and friends with a lot of alternative, bohemian type people, who I totally love. When they find out I'm a Greek it blows their minds!! And of course, that's the whole point.

Senior burnout - oh man, I love my sisters with all my heart but I have SO been there! I think you just have so many other things on your mind - like finding a job & paying off your loans (!) - that sometimes rush just is not the most important thing in your life. Plus - if you joined when you were a frosh & those are your only friends, I can see how you would feel "confined."

IotaNet's post ("why are the NPHC groups so different?") did SUCH a good job of explaining the level of NPHC alum involvement vs. NPC/NIC alum involvement. I think a lot of alums either get upset by changes in their chapter or changes in the national structure (for instance, individual chapters used to have a lot more autonomy than they do these days). I've been there too - but I got my wakeup call. If you think something is wrong get in there and try to better it! Like voting....if you don't exercise your right to vote, you lose your right to complain. Don't think one person doesn't count, because they can.

Old 10-09-2000, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I think it is very typical to not be involved as an alum in the NPC sororities right after college. As someone mentioned you are on your way with a job, relationships, etc. And one key factor--I was never called then! Let this be a little nudge to alum groups..call that list!! But then I moved and had a baby. I became very involved for about 12 yrs, went to convention, pres of the alum ass'n, much more. I loved it, I made some dear friends. Now that my kids are grown I am not as active in the organization. But I get together every year with 5 other DG's I went to school with, these are my oldest friends. We were not the shining stars in college, we were often at odds with the rules (things were changing at Texas colleges in the early 70;s). But the meaning of sisterhood is much stronger to me now than it was then. Sort of like you love your mate (hopefully) in a much deeper way 20 yrs later. Now watching my daughter go through new membership is very satisfying. If that is "never giving it up", oh well, sure is fun! And I love knowing what she is going through, it makes sense!
Asia, there is very active involvement in many NPC groups. It is not as publicly visible perhaps, but there. I have participated in numerous rushes, and been an adviser in many capacities. Alum support is key to a successful chapter in any group.
Susan
Old 10-11-2000, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

In NPHC sororities, alumnae life is just as active as undergrad life. There is much to do in your community after you graduate. NPHC sororities allow membership at this level and there is quite a demand for it. So you still get to be in on recruitment and many fun activities.
Old 10-12-2000, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
I'm in the lucky (and unique) position of being an alumnae member living (for the time being) very close to my active chapter. I stay involved with the Chapter as well as with individual sisters. I'm more in an mentorship/advisory role at this point.

How things have changed: I'm no longer involved with (or responsible for) the details of day to day Chapter business. *whew* I do not have as close of a personal relationship with those who've initiated after my days as an active.

How things have stayed the same: I'm still involved in my Chapter's interests - I throw in my support for as many of the Chapter's endeavors as I can. I'm still a sister, as such I always feel welcome - even by the current class of candidates (even though they barely know me!) Those Sisters who initiated while I was active, I have great personal relationships with.
I do not have a vote with respect to Chapter business, but I do have a voice. It's nice to have earned the respect of my Sisters, and have your advice being asked.

As far as I'm concerend, I am a lioness, you will hear me ROAR now and forever!

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies