GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,556
0 members and 1,556 guests
No Members online

Old 01-01-2012, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

My Simple Recruitment Tale

Hi! I have to say reading the recruitment stories is one of my favorite parts of Greekchat. I love to see how other people handled their recruitment ups and downs and see how I compared. I joined partly to share my story. I’ve been lurking too though, and I’ve learned a lot that I still haven’t realized as an active. I’ve only been an active member in this fall semester though. I pledged last spring. I’m going to type it all up so I can just post it all at once. I figure that will be easier and make more sense. I hope you like my story. I’ll try to tell it so you understand how I made my decisions.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-01-2012, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

looking forward to it
Old 01-01-2012, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
looking forward to it
So am I!

ΑΓΔ
Old 01-04-2012, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey!! Sorry I've taken forever. I've typed 99% of it up that I'll post because if not I know I'll accidentally delete it or something. Then I'll write the ending as soon as I can too. I hope you like it

Here we go (lol)

I knew since I was in high school that I wanted to be in a sorority. It was partly for superficial reasons. I wasn’t aware how important philanthropy was to each organization, and was more driven by a desire for close girlfriends. I went to an all girl school in middle school where I did find these kinds of bonds, but went to a huge public high school and felt like I got a bit lost. I wanted to regain the close knit-ness of before. It didn’t hurt that it seemed as if sorority girls were very social and I liked being around people. The whole “partying” thing didn’t really factor in.

There were 7 sororities at my school. Greek life wasn’t a major influence on campus but I would say it was pretty popular and there was a nice presence of sorority/fraternity members. A couple girls on my floor were rushing too. A girl I became friends with the first week and I decided to go together. It never occurred to me that we would pledge together though.

The first night we visited 4 sororities and 3 the next. I don’t remember the exact order, but I think that’s ok.

(Not too creative so just using continent names

Africa – First group! I feel like these girls were very nice. I had a nice conversation with the girls I talked to. It wasn’t extremely memorable but I think I would say I clicked with most of the girls in a low key, casual way. No one here was overly excited, but that was ok. I didn’t get a strong feel for this group one way or the other.

Asia – The first girl I ended up talking to, I just loved! I mean we really clicked. We had the same sort of sarcastic humor and we just had a great funny conversation. I felt really comfortable already. I had a chance to talk to the President and we realized we had met when I visited the school the year before and she had told me about her sorority experience when I asked during the visiting tour, so that was kind of cool! I felt like I could be myself in this sorority.

Europe – It was REALLY loud in this sorority. They showed a video, but I could barely hear the girl I was talking to. She was nice but we never clicked. We didn’t have a lot to talk about. I felt bad because I didn’t want to seem quiet/reserved, but I was a bit nervous that if I didn’t click with the sorority girls, that it was my fault.

North America – These girls did a really cute skit right at the beginning and I could tell that they all felt very comfortable and homey with each other- a good sign! I liked the girls I spoke to! They seemed nice and normal/down to earth. I sort of felt like I could talk about whatever with them. Also, based on pictures around the room, they seemed like they were a fun group of girls.

Overall a good night!

The next night, I saw:

Antarctica – It was LOUD in here! They had delicious mocktails which was a great treat and extremely refreshing. They showed a quick video. The girl I was talking to seemed nice and very outgoing so that was good. We had a good conversation, but I wouldn’t say “omg we clicked BFFs”. Great girls though, I could tell.

South America – Again, SO LOUD! I mean I REALLY couldn’t hear in this sorority. The girl and I had a normal conversation but I can barely even remember what we talked about. The enthusiasm in this room was through the roof, which was good. I definitely wanted sisters who were passionate about their sisterhood.

Australia – These girls were all very nice and sweet. I definitely clicked with the girl I talked to which was nice. They weren’t quite as enthusiastic as me, but that was ok. Like I said I really clicked with the girls, though I would say in a way they seemed a little too sweet for me. (Remember I liked the girl in the other sorority who was sort of sarcastic/funny?)

Anyway, our Rho Gammas told us we had to rank 5 number 1s, a number 6 and a number 7, because the maximum number of invites we could receive back was five. So, ideally, you get your five first picks.

1. Asia
1. Europe
1. North America
1. Antarctica
1. South America
6. Australia
7. Africa

When I received my schedule, I got North America, Australia, Africa and Asia. I was really excited that I got North America back. I was glad I got Asia back because deep down I really knew I fit in. I didn’t mind losing Europe. I would have liked to see Antarctica and South America again, but oh well.

Australia – The girls told us a lot about their philanthropy. The girls were very nice again and I had a good time talking to them. I was not OMG AUSTRALIA. That was ok, though. I’m starting to think that the general, good conversations and good feelings about certain sororities might indicate good connections or a good fit. But what do I know!

North America – I LOVE this sorority. I had great, enthusiastic upbeat conversations with all the girls. What more can I say?

Africa – I don’t really remember the conversation I had with these girls, but we did a craft project for their philanthropy. I didn’t click as much with the girl on this day. They were all still really nice though.

Asia – I don’t exactly remember the conversations I had here, but I remember it being very easy going and natural. Definitely feel good vibes here.

The next day we could pick up to three, so I chose to rank Africa. My schedule back the next day was Australia, North America, and Asia. Phew!

North America – I was excited to go this party! I had a great time being my enthusiastic self and talking to the girls. Looking back though, I realized I probably said something I shouldn’t have. Oh well. I didn’t think about it until now writing this. I’m a confident person, so I don’t mind speaking to my mistakes, but I see now that in a recruitment type situation, it’s best not to shed light on something slightly negative. (Just to ease you all, it wasn’t anything super bad). Of course I left happy go lucky, thinking everything had gone great.

Australia – These girls really were taking the time to get to know us better, which I thought was nice. We were seated at tables in groups of about 4 (2 PNM, 2 actives) just talking, so I did feel as if I got a better sense of this sorority. I felt comfortable here.

Asia – We were allowed to pick two sororities tomorrow. I knew I really loved North America so I just had to decide between Asia and Australia. Asia did a really cute funny skit that I felt like I could have so easily helped planned/be a part of. This instantly made me feel connected to Asia. I was really excited that I decided to put them down.

I chose Asia and North America, because the maximum we were allowed to go to for the final night was 2.

When I got my schedule back I got Asia and Australia. This was the first time during recruitment that I was really upset because I had started to get attached to North America and really felt like I could grow there for the next four years. I have to admit I cried a little, and my Rho Gamma really tried to help me feel better. She convinced me to go to the other two parties I had. Looking back, I really appreciated her being nice and supportive, because she was actually a North America (I didn’t know at the time), so it must have been difficult to comfort me.

Anyway, I decided to go to the preference parties because I didn’t have anything to lose, and I really did enjoy the other two sororities. It was only when I thought about the sororities I wasn’t going to that I got upset. I realized that was silly. I can appreciate what I do have and not focus on what I don’t.

I'll write the rest and post it soon, I promise!!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I like that you consolidated two rounds into one post, and you have a great attitude!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm rooting for Australia!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm surprised that you ranked Africa last instead of Europe. Do you remember why?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm rooting for Australia! Sounds like a good underdog story

For what it's worth, it sounds like your reason for wanting to join was primarily sisterhood -- I don't think that's shallow at all!
Old 01-07-2012, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Australia – I got to talk to two girls that I had talked to earlier in the week, which I really liked. It was nice to go back and make a stronger connection with the two. The two girls talked to me about how much their experience as Australias had meant to them. The great friends they had formed, the great times experienced, and how much they had grown as individuals. This definitely meant a lot to me. I had gone into preference pretty sure I wanted Asia, but I might have written Australia off. I mean, I definitely could see myself being friends with those girls and having great times with them. What more was there?

AsiaAsia had absolutely delicious strawberry smoothies which are my favorite so already I was having a great time. I actually ended up talking to a girl that I had met briefly during the earlier days in the week, so I didn’t love that. However, things turned around. A group of girls that I had talked to the day before all came up to talk to me and one of them read a note they had all written for me. It mentiond really specific things about why they would love to have me as a sister and I have to say this was probably the best moment of recruitment ever. I absolutely LOVED Asia. I decided to rank Australia second and the next day, happily accepted my bid to Asia! This is THE sorority for me. =)
Old 01-07-2012, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations! And Asia would be....????
Old 01-08-2012, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I'm a dumb-dumb forgetting the most important part of the story.

I absolutely ADORE DELTA DELTA DELTA!