GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 802
0 members and 802 guests
No Members online

Old 08-16-2018, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Expanding at a school like this is a HUGE undertaking financially, mentally and emotionally for a national organization. They also run the risk of not seeing ROI (in all facets) for many years, if ever. If it was a matter of just opening a chapter and immediately running at the same level as the current sororities on campus, there would be many schools with chapters of all 26 NPC sororities. But it doesn’t work that way.
This to the Nth degree.

Just building a house is a huge undertaking - the new ADPi house at Ole Miss cost $5 million. I know the newer houses at Alabama are ginormous so I googled and found that the Phi Mu house cost almost $13 million and the Gamma Phi Beta house cost $10 million. And there's the issue of finding land - not so easy on some campuses.

That alone is enough to put off many a sorority from colonizing on a super-competitive campus like the SEC schools where a stunning house is a must and it's got to be big enough for huge memberships. I can't imagine the operating costs.

Finding local alums to advise the chapter, successfully colonizing, getting girls to consider your house when they've become fixated on the more established chapters, finding a campus where other houses are actually supportive of new chapters, etc., etc - colonization is not for the weak-hearted at all.

Last edited by NYCMS; 08-16-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraternitynik View Post
I've written about it before, but I do think that the sorority world might benefit from a little more openness in terms of letting women create groups. It might create an alternative standard, which can be confusing, but it's a real shame that 10 fantastic women who didn't find the right fit and want to create their own social/literary club would never qualify as a sorority simply because the NPC is a tough club to become a part of.
I’m not sure if you mean by campus or nationally. If the former, there’s nothing preventing women from creating an interest group and pursuing national affiliation, or staying a local sorority. It really varies by campus if this can work. The problem is when women create a group by saying “we’re not like the other sororities,” it comes off as bitter. If they really aren’t like the other sororities - for example, requiring all their members to be substance free in and out of sorority activities - they are going to be pulling from a completely different pool of women and it’s not going to make quota go down.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

No one says they can't create a local. Women are free to do so. The bigger question is whether the U will recognize them. One thing most will require is liability insurance. Just how they go about that can be problematic.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaytay View Post
Not totally related, but I went on some of the instagrams to see their houses (all of which are beautiful!) and was FLOORED by the amazing use of balloons at their parties. Check out AXO: https://www.instagram.com/explore/lo...y-of-arkansas/

Is this a normal Arkansas recruitment thing, and do the sisters have the in house skills for this or is there a company in Fayetteville that is crushing it?
I feel sorry for any PNMs with latex allergies...

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Pi Mu was on campus in the 90s before they closed and were using Delta Gamma’s house. They came back with a plan in hand and secured land and a house this time. Good for them!
Old 08-18-2018, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Uark had 1717 PNMs. Today they handed out 1512 bids. That is not bad at all.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Better than when they had bed rush in the seventies and before! Less that 50% got bids.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Better than when they had bed rush in the seventies and before! Less that 50% got bids.
Rush is stressful in general, but I cannot imagine rushing against a set number of beds! Do many schools still use this? (I seem to recall reading on here that Indiana does - is that correct?)
Old 08-18-2018, 04:49 PM

Indiana was the last and they now have to take a minimum quota, but they still don’t have a set total for all the sororities- everyone sets their own. Which of course is somewhat like going scuba diving with only one flipper.