GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,554
1 members and 1,553 guests
Cookiez17

Old 09-13-2006, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
In business it stands for Request for Proposal
Yes, thank you irishpipes.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Tom--I think you should just accept that NPC Extension is the way that it is for our own reasons, and stop offering "help" EVERYTIME the topic comes up.

Kind of like how I have to accept that I will NEVER understand one of your posts without serious translation help.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
I didn't know that Union College of Kentucky had any national GLOs. (i.e. IFC/NIC, NPC, NPHC). Is this something completely new (campus opening to Greek Life) or do they have local(s) that are going to affiliate with an inter/national(s)?

By the way, what does RFP mean?
It's a brand new system just like UT-Tyler and Greek Life is being introduced for the first time.

RFP means Request for Proposal.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Central Methodist University in Missouri has had local fraternities and sororities for many years. In the past couple of years, two of the fraternities have joined national GLOs. Sigma Alpha Chi became a chapter of Phi Delta Theta and Delta Sigma Psi became Tau Kappa Epsilon. Perhaps all of their organizations are looking into going national?

Local fraternities: Delta Beta Tau and Chi Delta

Local sororities: Delta Pi Omega, Sigma Pi Alpha, Zeta Psi Lambda, and Alpha Gamma Psi.
No, not all. One of the sororities is seeking affiliation. Time will tell if it becomes a trend.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
...I just and still wonder if the few are protected then, what happens to the many who are not willing to join and why? That is and has been always been my major question. Can anyone really explain it?
*sigh* I'm beginning to think that English is not your native tongue.
They DON'T join!
And that's my last attempt. May God have mercy on your soul.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

OK Tom. Here’s what these unhappy women should do. First, they need to go through recruitment and see first hand what it’s all about. (Who knows, if the group is large enough then they may have the strength to make said chapter what they want it to be. Or, they may realize that things weren’t so bad after all.) Second, if what they see is not what they truly desire then they should try to form an interest group. Third, the interest group should function under the guidelines for any other student organization. (What about the single –sex issue? Well, if there is enough interest then the university will usually work with that especially if the group may be temporary. (I know that sentence structure was atrocious but I am tired.)) Fourth, if the group can prove themselves in terms of numbers, academics and philanthropy then the university and/or Panhellenic Association may open for extension. Fifth, if the women in question are not up for all that then I hope that they are able to find happiness somewhere else.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aopirose View Post
OK Tom. Here’s what these unhappy women should do. First, they need to go through recruitment and see first hand what it’s all about. (Who knows, if the group is large enough then they may have the strength to make said chapter what they want it to be. Or, they may realize that things weren’t so bad after all.) Second, if what they see is not what they truly desire then they should try to form an interest group. Third, the interest group should function under the guidelines for any other student organization. (What about the single –sex issue? Well, if there is enough interest then the university will usually work with that especially if the group may be temporary. (I know that sentence structure was atrocious but I am tired.)) Fourth, if the group can prove themselves in terms of numbers, academics and philanthropy then the university and/or Panhellenic Association may open for extension. Fifth, if the women in question are not up for all that then I hope that they are able to find happiness somewhere else.
This is how the Alpha Gamma Delta chapter at Truman State University in Kirksville, Missouri was founded. Several women did not care for the chapters that were available. They started a local sorority. That sorority existed for several (at least 10). They had formal rush and did everything that an NPC sorority does. After those years of showing that they were an established and vital group, the college urged (or required) them to become part of a national group. They connected with AGD and the rest is history.

BTW- The group did not originally start out with the intention of becoming AGD when they were founded. They did want to eventually bring a chapter onto campus, but needed to prove that their sorority would not fall apart after a semester or two.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-13-2006, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's a brand new system just like UT-Tyler and Greek Life is being introduced for the first time.

RFP means Request for Proposal.
Thank you for the explanation and update. I'm pleased to hear that Greek Life is coming to Union.

By the way, does an RFP refer/apply to both universities requesting to start a system (starting from scratch) as well as requests from an existing NPC system that is looking to expand?
Old 09-14-2006, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Thank you.

This makes a lot more sense than We just do not do that.

It does mean that there is an avenue for expansion for those who want to join a Sorority when not happy with existing GLOs.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-14-2006, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Thank you for the explanation and update. I'm pleased to hear that Greek Life is coming to Union.

By the way, does an RFP refer/apply to both universities requesting to start a system (starting from scratch) as well as requests from an existing NPC system that is looking to expand?
Yes, it does. When a campus decides to add an NPC group for any reason, the “proper authority”, meaning the university administration and/or Collegiate Panhellenic Association, contacts the NPC Extension Chairwoman. This is a written statement and if there is a Collegiate Panhellenic Association, the minutes for the meeting showing where extension approval was given.

At that point, NPC will send a bulletin to all 26 groups saying that College University is officially open. There will be details about the school, their reason for expansion and a timeline. This timeline usually includes dates for permissible exploratory visits, RFP deadlines, and estimated dates for presentations and so on.

Groups interested in the extension opportunity will submit their RFPs (packets) by the deadline. The decision of whom to send presentation invitations is based largely on those RFPs.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:54 PM

Delta Tau Delta is recolonizing at both Kansas and Michigan this year.

Both chapters were closed in 2001, I believe.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Sigma Kappa is recolonizing at the University of Alabama:

http://www.cw.ua.edu/vnews/display.v.../4513991e42442
Old 09-29-2006, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltAlum View Post
Delta Tau Delta is recolonizing at both Kansas and Michigan this year.

Both chapters were closed in 2001, I believe.
The Kansan reports that the Delta Tau Delta colony at Kansas has 41 men. Congratulations! Article with picture is at

http://www.kansan.com/stories/2006/sep/29/delta/?news
Old 09-30-2006, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Congrats! Ours(ADPhi): Brandeis (24 men), Northeastern(25 men), UNH (28 men before rush) Duke (50+men) Pretty happy as NE chapters tend to be smaller anyway.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to both ADPhi and DTD on expansion!

While we all bemone the lose of Greeks, it is good to always see expantion!

While each grows, so do all of us!

LX Z # 1
Alumni