GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,283
1 members and 2,282 guests
Sciencewoman

Old 05-03-2001, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I go to Indiana University as well (NOT University of Indiana!)and I had a friend in a sorority explain to me that even if you added more houses, that the number of girls who got cut during the recruitment process would not be lowered significantly.

I guess that because of the way that preference works, combined with the reputations of some sororities, girls will end up cutting themselves. Slap me if this sounds wrong, I dont mean to sound like an expert at all.

I personally would love to see more sororities at IU (at least 6 more)however I dont see it likely since there is no land left to build housing on. Plus, this university is land hungry and refuses to allow groups to build more houses, despite the fact that there is plenty of land and space avaliable.

AOII was able to build a new house because KDR sold its land to them. The house is amazing. There was an article in the paper. I heard that building it cost $4 Million!!!!

But back to the original matter at hand...if you're in a national sorority...PLEASE expand to IU!

XP2k
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-03-2001, 10:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
33girl--

I just saw this post, and I couldn't agree more. What I don't understand is, if the houses keep closing, why would they add more houses??

It's a shame on a campus with a greek system as large as IU, chapters have to close because they can't get the numbers. I mean all these women go through recruitment, and due to whatever reasons, don't get a bid. It's odd that houses keep closing when this is the situation. I hope we can one day expand to IU, as it would be awesome to get on a campus like that. Hey 33girl, maybe we can go together and have a double sorority house!! Double the fun, right?

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl:
****DANGER: VENT AHEAD****

The smaller sororities need to get together, pool their resources, and expand onto the large campuses as a unified front. And the ridiculous Panhel rule about "everything must be equal" needs to go. I would rather be in an unhoused sorority, than no sorority at all.

Old 05-04-2001, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Actually the sorority houses at Indiana University did not close because of low numbers...most were kicked off of campus because of either hazing or violating their national's alchohol rules.

I believe Tri-Sigs,Sigma Kappa and AOII were kicked off for hazing in the mid to early 90's. In fact, Tri-Sigs had just had a nice new house built for them on the extension...so I'm guessing they werent hurting for money or membership.

A good friend of mine in AXiD has told me several times how strict their nationals are. I imagine the sororities are much stricter with rules then fraternities.

And...seeing as how many GLO nationals are in Indianapolis and seeing how Indiana University is only an hour away, not many groups are able to get away with much.

XP2k
Old 05-07-2001, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xp2k:
Actually the sorority houses at Indiana University did not close because of low numbers...most were kicked off of campus because of either hazing or violating their national's alchohol rules.

I believe Tri-Sigs,Sigma Kappa and AOII were kicked off for hazing in the mid to early 90's. In fact, Tri-Sigs had just had a nice new house built for them on the extension...so I'm guessing they werent hurting for money or membership.
XP2k
Hey xp2k--I don't mean to rain on your parade, or to flame you (why would I do that to a fellow Hoosier?)...but some of your facts are a little hazy...Tri-Sigma and Sigma Kappa closed in 1993 due to low numbers, NOT in any way due to hazing or allegations thereof. Tri-Sigma didn't have a house--they had a dorm hall in Ashton, and even though Sigma Kappa did have a nice, modern house on North Jordan (Greek row) they just didn't have a strong rush--I heard later that they had a severe lack of advisor support.

AOPi, did get its charter revoked in 1994 or 1995 for hazing violations, but they were headed down hill to begin with. They had a VERY difficult time with Rush, and never made quota.

The weird thing at IU is that if your chapter has to do COB in the Spring, it is considered a real embarassment...I've never understood why. I remember that Tri-Delta (one of the stronger houses at IU when I was there in the 90s) had to do COB one year, due to a rash of de-pledging (for what reason I don't know), and it was THE talk of the greek system. At that time, the only houses that did Spring COB were AOPi, AZD, ADPi, Sigma Kappa, and sometimes Phi Mu. The stupid thing about this is that ALL of those chapters I just mentioned were FULL of wonderful women, and they all had awesome chapter houses! I never understood why they took such flak for not making quota...

At the same time, though, if my chapter had not made quota during Formal Fall rush, I (and the rest of my chapter) probably would have been MORTIFIED... I guess that makes me something of a hypocrite...I just wish there wasn't such a stigma attached to Spring COB at IU. It would make everyone's life (Rushees and Actives) a lot easier!!!!

------------------
Oh, Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!
Old 05-07-2001, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

imsohappythatiama,

Thanks for the corrections. Sorry about the mistakes, this was just what I had been told. I am really into greek history, especially IU Greek history. I mistook Sigma Kappa for Tri-Sigs (it's Pi Kapps house now I think).

But does what you said (the houses closing because of low numbers) mean that IU doesnt have room for more sororities? I can understand with only 19 houses how so many girls dont get taken, but with 23 houses, I dont understand how so many girls could still be left out. Is it the system? Is there a way to fix it?

Xp2k
Old 05-08-2001, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by xp2k:

But does what you said (the houses closing because of low numbers) mean that IU doesnt have room for more sororities? I can understand with only 19 houses how so many girls dont get taken, but with 23 houses, I dont understand how so many girls could still be left out. Is it the system? Is there a way to fix it?

Xp2k
Hey Xp2k:

I don't think it means IU doesn't have "room" for other sororities AT ALL! I, for one, would LOVE to see more NPC chapters expand to IU.

The barriers to such expansion, however, are high: (1) IU has imposed a moratorium on new expansion--meaning that they are "closed" to any new chapters forming on the Bloomington campus. (Now, if chapters that are silent--i.e., Tri-Sigma, and Sigma Kappa--wanted to reinstall their charters, IU would most likely go along with that).

(2) IU has imposed a moratorum on new land for fraternities and sororities. So even if (let's say) Sigma Kappa re-colonized its old chapter, they would not be likely to get a "house." Should that matter? Yes and No. Un-housed chapters have traditionally done poorly during Rush. Why? Because of the beautiful houses that some chapters have--like Tri-Delta, Pi Phi, KKG, DG (to name my favorite physical houses) and others--rushees get their heads turned by those kinds of beautiful houses, and overlook un-housed chapters. It's just the way rush is, and it is unfair.

(3) Girls will continue to be "left out" until (a) there is no more "suicide preffing" allowed, and (b) there are enough bids available to accomodate the number of women who are still rushing on Preference night. MANY of the rushess who "get nothing" are women who have suicide prefed--not a smart idea.

At the same time, my freshman year, I rushed, did not get cut by ANY CHAPTERS, and got "Cross Cut" on Bid Day, meaning I got NOTHING. How do you prevent crap like that from happening? I have no idea, but I believe it begins with a new Panhellenic Bid Matching process for IU. When I was the KKG Rush Advisor at the University of Iowa, I sat in on their bid matching process for two years, and though it was a trying and (somewhat) traumatic process--kind of like a big cattle auction--every rushee who signed a bid card got a bid SOMEWHERE...that's not to say they all took those bids, but no one got left behind. This would be hard for IU to do, since IU's rush is exponentially larger than Iowa's rush, but it is a decent model to consider.

Well, I think I've rambled enough for now. I hope this has made some sense....let me know if I need to clarify!!!

Panhellenically,
imsohappythatiama

PS--go hoosiers!

------------------
Oh, Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!
Old 05-09-2001, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by imsohappythatiama:
How do you prevent crap like that from happening? I have no idea, but I believe it begins with a new Panhellenic Bid Matching process for IU. When I was the KKG Rush Advisor at the University of Iowa, I sat in on their bid matching process for two years, and though it was a trying and (somewhat) traumatic process--kind of like a big cattle auction--every rushee who signed a bid card got a bid SOMEWHERE...that's not to say they all took those bids, but no one got left behind. This would be hard for IU to do, since IU's rush is exponentially larger than Iowa's rush, but it is a decent model to consider.

[/B]
Ahh yes... Iowa's bid matching process...
Supposedly how it goe sis, on the last night of recruitment, the number of girls still going through is divided by the number of houses on campus (12) and there quota is set. for example, lets say that on pref night, there are still 420 women: 420/12= quota of 35 women (if i did my math correctly)so hypothetically there is room in A chapter for every girl. however that doesn't guarntee you your top choice. i had a lot of friends who got their 3rd choice and did not accept a bid. all in all though, i think its a pretty good way of doing things.. we don't allow suicide preffing.. and everyone has a home if they so chose it