GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,196
1 members and 1,195 guests
Low D Flat

Old 08-16-2000, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Dress for Pref

I was wondering what you all consider a "cocktail/ semi-formal" dress... Does that mean a short or long dress? It says to wear a cocktail/ semi formal dress for Pref night, but I'm kinda clueless on what they exactly mean. Oh yeah, I go to a Southern school in Texas, if that helps. Thanks!
Old 08-16-2000, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

I would go for a 'little black dress', dressed up.

------------------
Amanda M.
Secretary/Social Chair
Theta Sigma Alpha
Towson University
http://www.geocities.com/thetasigmaalpha
Old 08-16-2000, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by CLJdanzr1:
I was wondering what you all consider a "cocktail/ semi-formal" dress... Does that mean a short or long dress? It says to wear a cocktail/ semi formal dress for Pref night, but I'm kinda clueless on what they exactly mean. Oh yeah, I go to a Southern school in Texas, if that helps. Thanks!

While the members of the chapters may be in long dresses, I recommend you where a shorter dress (knee or mid calf in length) with appropriate undergarments (hose, slip, etc.). It should be tasteful and not too revealing. This is a serious night for both the chapters and the potential members.

Good luck...and let us know what happens!

Barbara
Old 08-16-2000, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

i go to school in virginia, and we would consider a knee-length dress appropriate. your dress should be modest, without very much cleavage at all. my pref night dress was from ann taylor. it was knee length with a square neckline, dark purple velvet, with little beading scattered here and there. if i were you i wouldn't wear anything too frilly. you want to look sophisticated and mature, not like you're playing cinderella.
Old 08-16-2000, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Just please don't show up in a flashy metallic dress...I won't even bring that memory up! I guess the plus side was we all remembered her...LOL

Seriously though - I totally agree with the "mature" look. I would not recommend the little dresses with spaghetti straps and thong underwear showing through. I know this may sound a little "out there" but girls wear this type of thing year after year in my experience! I also totally agree with the slip, proper undergarments, and hose! You may want to ask about what color dresses the houses you attend pref at are wearing. Your Rho Chi should be able to tell you this. We wear black long dresses so a prospective may want to wear another color (such as the dark purple idea). Its not that wearing the same color is bad, just that a different color may help the girl stand out from the others (without the metal reflecting off the walls LOL!) Ask some ladies on your hall or other good friends to check out your selections - they will know how important this is to you and will help you select the most flattering and attractive outfit. No matter what you wear, always keep in mind that this is the most serious and important night of your life (at least for college life ) Listen closely to the sisters you talk with, and discuss any issues with them that you have concerns over. You should feel 110% comfortable and ready when you sign that bid card and accept your new sisters Good luck and let us know how it goes!

------------------
"Alpha Chi Omega - If you only had 2 wishes, what would your second one be?"
Old 08-17-2000, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

twinstars, if you don't mind my asking, where do you go to school in virginia?