GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,154
2 members and 2,152 guests
MethrenLusia, Tridentia

Old 01-14-2009, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVU alpha phi View Post
Love this story, and proud of GC for not jumping all over her and suggesting code names.
Agreed!!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-14-2009, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
Hmm, Why do I think you end up a Pi Phi?
I thought the same thing!
Old 01-14-2009, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I LOVE that she hasn't been using code names. So refreshing and it makes it much easier to remember which house is which. I wish more recruitment stories weren't coded.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri deezy View Post
I LOVE that she hasn't been using code names. So refreshing and it makes it much easier to remember which house is which. I wish more recruitment stories weren't coded.
I agree - I am too old to try to remember them - especially with those with 15 or more houses!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

It's that time!!!: Pref

So, we finally get to pref night. Kim and I both look gorgeous: she has on the perfect little black dress with these shimmery, dangling earrings. I had on a red dress that I wore to my cousin's wedding the summer before. We both felt good. We met Jane on the way and we begin to talk about who we hope to see on our list. Jane (no surprise here!) hopes for Delta Gamma. Kim is hoping for Delta Delta Deltaand Chi Omega . I surprise myself with how much I hope Pi Beta Phi is on my list. I had already told Kim how much I screwed up there and recount the tale for Jane. She says I'll be fine.

We find our counselors. I know before I look at my list that I'm in trouble. Lisa is looking at me with such sad eyes, I find myself thanking God I wore waterproof mascara before I even see the list.

My list:
1. Empty
2. Delta Zeta

And the tears start. I try holding them in and do a pretty good job. Kim sees and runs over. She comforts me as much as possible, but must leave for her first party (Her list is exactly what she wanted.)

I sat with Lisa and she explains all my options to me. She was not as bubbly as she had been: she was sympathetic and perfect. She tells me to go to Delta Zeta and see if it can work. She tells me I am lucky to have an invitation from DZ (and that she thinks they are a terrific group). However, she warns me NOT to sign my bid card if I don't feel comfortable accepting a bid from DZ. I won't be able to pledge another sorority for a year and will be ineligible for something called informal recruitment. She warns me that bids from informal are hard to come by, but it is likely a better idea if I really feel alienated at Delta Zeta. She also tells me about an additional council, made up of non-NPC, special interest sororities, might be a better fit. "They're different from our NPC groups, but my roommate freshman year was a member of Sigma Omicron Epsilon and loved it." She leaves me to reapply my makeup with a hug and "Do whatever makes you happy. Give DZ a fair chance, but don't short-change yourself. You'll find a home, even if it takes longer than the others."

-Delta Zeta-
The girls are goregous, all in matching black dresses with glittering "diamond" (at least I hope they weren't real!) necklaces and earrings on. I look around in the sea of black and am glad to be wearing a different color. However, I immediately start worrying that I stand out too much or that I missed a memo saying I should wear black. I am greeted at the door with a hug and a pink rose by a girl I don't know. She knows my name, however, and tells me how great Delta Zeta is and how I must feel so at home. I don't though: I'm not sure if it was the red dress sticking out like a sore thumb, but not even the cute turtle cookie with my name on it made me feel relaxed and comfortable. I felt extremely out-of-place. The ceremony was beautiful by all accounts. Many girls cried, and I tried to make myself cry. (I even remember thinking of very sad things! It didn't work!). My DZ girl hugged me good-bye and whispered "I hope your wish tonight is the same as mine".

I doubted it: I just wanted to find my home tonight. She already HAD her home.

I went back and was faced with a tough decision. Do I chance that Delta Zeta is the place for me and that I will grow to love it? Or do I commit myself to the long (and wholly uncertain) road of COB? Or do I give up on being Greek all together and find a home in a different activity?

I noticed the ease with which Kim filled out her bid card, and knew I couldn't do it. I didn't want to commit myself to a place I didn't feel at home. Maybe, through COB, I'd come to love Delta Zeta, but I didn't trust myself to do it today. I turned in my card blank without a signature.

Kim, interestingly enough, had ranked Chi Omega first and Delta Delta Delta second. Pref had completely changed her mind. "I just felt home at Chi Omega. I knew I belonged there." She agreed wholeheartedly with my decision to withdraw. "If you didn't feel remotely like I did, I wouldn't want you to accept. You'll find it."

She and Jane went off to bid day festivities. Kim happily accepted a bid from Chi Omega. Jane (no surprises here!) joined Katherine at Delta Gamma.

Lisa turned out to be a Delta Zeta. (Kim's RC was actually a Pi Beta Phi).

I found my home eventually, although not in an NPC sorority. I do wonder what would have happened if I had filled out my bid card. I may not have even gotten a bid. I may have and loved it. I may have and dropped out quickly and been sworn off of Greek life.

At any rate, I think I'm going to continue my story and post my COB experience, because it's semi-interesting and can stand as proof that the world doesn't end when your formal recruitment is disappointing.

Besides: Legacy pops up there and THAT is an interesting story in itself.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Side note: I also haven't recieved a single PM telling me to post code-names or censor my story. Way to Go, GC!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubadub View Post
Side note: I also haven't recieved a single PM telling me to post code-names or censor my story. Way to Go, GC!
I much prefer using the actual name of the sorority! I can sort of see if it's real time that there are some benefits to coding it but idk. Anyways, I'm greatly enjoying your story!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:32 PM

I don't typically post in recruitment story threads, but I have to say that I really have enjoyed reading yours.

I think that part of the reason no one has an issue with your lack of code names is that your descriptions are honest but tactful.

If you were saying stuff like "OMG the Chi O's were awful bitches and I hated them because their skit was tacky, the food was gross and they all had chipped manicures." (which while honest, is completely pointless and tactless), then I think you would have gotten a much different reaction.

Also, I think that recruitment has a variety of outcomes and different stories are needed to help illustrate that.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-14-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Please do post about COB! I am VERY curious about "Legacy."

Old 01-15-2009, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Good Story...surprise ending. Thanks for telling it in such a straight forward way.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I have to say, I think Lisa is an exceptional Rho Gamma! It must have been so hard for her not to try to convince you to sign your bid card when you only have her sorority as a choice. She was mature, objective, and she made the process about you and your recruitment decisions, keeping herself and her personal feelings out of everything. I really admire how she didn't force you into being bound for a year, she let you make your own decisions and gave you all the options to do it. If I am ever a Rho Gamma, I really will take what she did as an example.

And of course, I'd love to hear the rest of your story!
Old 01-15-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaPhi88 View Post
I have to say, I think Lisa is an exceptional Rho Gamma! It must have been so hard for her not to try to convince you to sign your bid card when you only have her sorority as a choice. She was mature, objective, and she made the process about you and your recruitment decisions, keeping herself and her personal feelings out of everything. I really admire how she didn't force you into being bound for a year, she let you make your own decisions and gave you all the options to do it. If I am ever a Rho Gamma, I really will take what she did as an example.

This is one of the hardest situations for any PX (having a PNM who has your chapter as her only choice and isn't happy about it). You want them to join, but you can't come out and say that. She handled it very well indeed.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:10 AM

Double post, but I get the feeling that you ended up checking out the local that your friend was in (Sigma Omicron Epsilon), especially because you can remember exactly what the girl said about finding your home taking longer than others.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-15-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I think that this is one of the best stories I have read in a long time. Thank you for using the real names of the sororities, thank you for your insight and tact. I look foward to hearing the rest of your story.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I am loving this story! First of all, I'm so glad to have real names - I'm too old to keep track of code names. I've gone back and re-read your descriptions several times. What I truly like about this is that you were trying very hard to find a home and honestly admitting that you didn't - regardless of reputation/tent talk/tiers. No matter how hard I read between the lines (and I"m trying...believe me!!) I can't tell if one group is a more - or less - "desireable" one. I'm impressed that you were following your heart - that takes courage at 18!

And most of us have thought, at one time or another, what if I had...? But it sounds like you did what was right for you and it somehow worked out. So...yes! yes! yes! continue the story with COB.