GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 985
2 members and 983 guests
JayhawkAOII
Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

There are very few AI threads that have been posted on GC over the years that I haven't felt had some kind of negative vibe or snark involved. But, I freely admit that I could be wearing my own bias on my sleeve when I see negativity, and that very likely, none was meant at all. But, from my personal perspective, I generally agree with the OP. That does not mean I necessarily agree with the OP posting as she did - since she is new and may not necessarily understand all the nuances and history on this board.

At any rate, I will say that I always have a bit of a chip on my shoulder on GC about being an AI, because of the attitude I've seen displayed. That has NEVER, not once, translated into how I feel among my sisters in real life. I have felt encouraged, welcomed, honored, and respected for my contribution to my sorority.

I have no doubt that many of you will disagree, but the fact remains that from my perspective as a reader of thousands of threads on GC, GC members, probably unintentionally, tend to treat AIs as second class citizens. Unless it's the so-called "this is what AI is meant to be" kind of situation where the woman has been BFFs with everyone in the organization for 30 years.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I didn't know if I should QFP or WTF this one.
This is by far my favorite post in this thread.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I didn't know if I should QFP or WTF this one.
WTF. Definitely.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbear19 View Post
There are very few AI threads that have been posted on GC over the years that I haven't felt had some kind of negative vibe or snark involved. But, I freely admit that I could be wearing my own bias on my sleeve when I see negativity, and that very likely, none was meant at all. But, from my personal perspective, I generally agree with the OP. That does not mean I necessarily agree with the OP posting as she did - since she is new and may not necessarily understand all the nuances and history on this board.

At any rate, I will say that I always have a bit of a chip on my shoulder on GC about being an AI, because of the attitude I've seen displayed. That has NEVER, not once, translated into how I feel among my sisters in real life. I have felt encouraged, welcomed, honored, and respected for my contribution to my sorority.

I have no doubt that many of you will disagree, but the fact remains that from my perspective as a reader of thousands of threads on GC, GC members, probably unintentionally, tend to treat AIs as second class citizens. Unless it's the so-called "this is what AI is meant to be" kind of situation where the woman has been BFFs with everyone in the organization for 30 years.
As an outsider, this is also what I have observed.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
As another outsider, my sense is that it is almost always unintentional, but reminders of how things can come across are never a bad thing.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:

I could care less if a woman shops around as an AI. It's up to the individual groups to determine if she is a good fit or not. But it's dumb when someone is an AI and then starts posting on GC like she knows everything, having not had the collegiate experience.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Apropos of nothing in this thread, I love your avatar, amiblue?.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXA SE285 View Post
That avatar's got some joy-joy-joy-joy down in her heart.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
And just a mite of roomatiz medicine.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I could care less if a woman shops around as an AI. It's up to the individual groups to determine if she is a good fit or not. But it's dumb when someone is an AI and then starts posting on GC like she knows everything, having not had the collegiate experience.
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. It is my understanding (which is based on almost solely on the the GC postings) that AIs are often already involved with the organization. Yes, some do "shop around", but the majority are women who are known to chapters ie mothers, area alumnae etc. Even those who do "shop around" tend to be involved more than Sorority Sue. I would prefer to listen to an AI member who has experience with chapters than a collegiate alumna who hasn't thought about her membership in ten or twenty years.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 08-24-2013, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. It is my understanding (which is based on almost solely on the the GC postings) that AIs are often already involved with the organization. Yes, some do "shop around", but the majority are women who are known to chapters ie mothers, area alumnae etc. Even those who do "shop around" tend to be involved more than Sorority Sue. I would prefer to listen to an AI member who has experience with chapters than a collegiate alumna who hasn't thought about her membership in ten or twenty years.
Sorry, this was a hasty post. All I'm trying to say is that the reason that some of us GC'ers raise an eyebrow at AI's is that there have been some around here that were trainwrecks in the past, that's all.

I know two AI's to my group, personally, one of whom was initiated into my chapter when I was a collegian, and they are both wonderful and contribute a lot.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
As another outsider, my sense is that it is almost always unintentional, but reminders of how things can come across are never a bad thing.
Agreed. With one or two exceptions, I have never thought it was intentional.

Quote:
I agree that GC members in general should refrain from giving advice about things they have no knowledge of. That's dangerous, regardless of the person's background. But AIs can and do have experience that makes the equipped to discuss certain topics on GC. Some AIs were once new members, but had to drop for some reason or another. Some were in a local sorority and had a very fulfilling greek experience in college. AIs can be chapter advisors, national officers, Fraternity/Sorority Advisors for an entire greek system, etc. To think that they should keep quiet solely because of their AI status does them an injustice.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Quote:
And just a mite of roomatiz medicine.
Thanks! I was feeling a little old and feisty.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
We had a rash of shopaholics on GC (with no prior connections to any groups) who were ever so anxious to share EVERY DETAIL of their journey. This also happened to be at the time when moderation for the AI forum was, shall we say, more laissez-faire than it should have been. A different moderator would have probably said to them "um hey, do you REALLY want to post this?"

AIs in my group (that I am personally acquainted with) have ranged from fabuloso to detrimental to the entire organization, so all I can say is if you haven't gotten the latter of that, you are super duper lucky. Then again, we can say the same thing about sisters initiated in college. It's just that AI is so rare that the sample is smaller and the impact of each person tends to be greater.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

AIs in my group (that I am personally acquainted with) have ranged from fabuloso to detrimental to the entire organization, so all I can say is if you haven't gotten the latter of that, you are super duper lucky. Then again, we can say the same thing about sisters initiated in college. It's just that AI is so rare that the sample is smaller and the impact of each person tends to be greater.
Quoted for truth.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Closed Thread