GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,262
1 members and 2,261 guests
Sciencewoman

Old 10-14-2009, 05:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Can I still join?

I'm not sure if this was a topic before. But here goes. I was interested in joining xyz org while I was in college a few years ago. I then left school and and started working and stuff. I did attend community college for a semester to get some other classes out of the way. I plan on returning next semester. if i decide to join xyz org again, do i have to wait as if i'm a transfer student? can i still join?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-14-2009, 06:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taytay View Post
I'm not sure if this was a topic before. But here goes. I was interested in joining xyz org while I was in college a few years ago. I then left school and and started working and stuff. I did attend community college for a semester to get some other classes out of the way. I plan on returning next semester. if i decide to join xyz org again, do i have to wait as if i'm a transfer student? can i still join?
QFP

First off,.........huh?
Second, is xyz one of the Divine Nine or are you talking NPC here?
Third, why would you have to wait? Do you mean wait until you're back in college?

Your post is very confusing. Please clarify.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

xyz is a non-existing organization, solely used for filler purposes. I'm interested in joining one of the divine 9 organization though. To clarify, I was in school for 3 years, and i dropped out. I was interested in going greek while there though. My intentions are to go back to the same school that i dropped out of, in order to finish my degree. i know that as a transfer student, you have to wait at least 1 semester in order to join an organization, however, since i am returning to the same school, i won't be considered a transfer student. Therefore, i'm not sure if i still need to wait the minimum 1 semester before i can join. I hope this clears it up!
Old 10-14-2009, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
xyz is a non-existing organization
LOL

Quote:
solely used for filler purposes. I'm interested in joining one of the divine 9 organization though. To clarify, I was in school for 3 years, and i dropped out. I was interested in going greek while there though. My intentions are to go back to the same school that i dropped out of, in order to finish my degree. i know that as a transfer student, you have to wait at least 1 semester in order to join an organization, however, since i am returning to the same school, i won't be considered a transfer student. Therefore, i'm not sure if i still need to wait the minimum 1 semester before i can join. I hope this clears it up!
I think you may have answered your own question.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

This seems like a question that could be adequately answered by someone in the Greek office at your school. You know, since they understand your school's policy concerning student status and recruitment policies.

"Life is service. The one who progresses is the one who gives his fellow human beings a little more, a little better service." - E. M. Statler 1863 - 1928
Old 10-14-2009, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Being a transfer student has nothing to do with it anyway. It's about credits earned (the credits that transferred) and cumulative GPA. Every org has different requirements so you will have to research these but most require at least 12 credits earned (unless the school has different requirements for those joining organizations) plus whatever their cumulative GPA is.

You are thinking of first semester freshman, who usually don't have 12 earned credits.

Last edited by rhoyaltempest; 10-14-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
Being a transfer student has nothing to do with it anyway. It's about credits earned (the credits that transferred) and cumulative GPA. Every org has different requirements so you will have to research these but most require at least 12 credits earned (unless the school has different requirements for those joining organizations) plus whatever their cumulative GPA is.

You are thinking of first semester freshman, who usually don't have 12 earned credits, unless they took part in some kind of summer program or took summer classes.
Slight swerve, but she may be referring to school regulations. The school itself might not allow certain students to pledge until x amount of time has passed.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Slight swerve, but she may be referring to school regulations. The school itself might not allow certain students to pledge until x amount of time has passed.
That's why I put..."unless the school has different requirements...." My school didn't.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's why I put..."unless the school has different requirements...." My school didn't.
Did you go back and add this in your edit? I didn't see it when I initially read the post.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Did you go back and add this in your edit? I didn't see it when I initially read the post.
Nope...was there all the time. You read too fast...LOL!
Old 10-14-2009, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Nope...was there all the time. You read too fast...LOL!
Damn lol

My bad

Old 10-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
xyz is a non-existing organization, solely used for filler purposes. I'm interested in joining one of the divine 9 organization though.
DUH.....
Old 10-14-2009, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks for the input everyone...as for the transfer student statement...i won't be considered a transfer student by the school, but by organizations, since i took classes somewhere else for a semester, i might be considered a transfer. either way, thanks you all
Old 10-14-2009, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Some orgs also require you to be a full-time student the semester of & immediately prior to your application for membership in addition to the gpa requirements.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlovemyAKA View Post
Some orgs also require you to be a full-time student the semester of & immediately prior to your application for membership in addition to the gpa requirements.
Yes, forgot to mention this.