GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,869
0 members and 2,869 guests
No Members online

Old 08-30-2008, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Vitamins - Recommendations welcomed!

I searched the site and found a couple of old threads on vitamins, but they didn't quite hit on what I was looking for. (One was posted by cashmoney and, yeah, not what I was looking for! LOL)

I wanted to start paying more attention to what kinds of vitamins I'm taking and I am interesting in hearing what others here are taking.

Currently, I'm just taking a Women's One-a-Day tablet and two tablets of TUMS 750mg (as a calcium supplement and because my stomach is excitable).

I'm thinking that I should be taking vitamin E, more vitamin C and flaxseed oil or something...but I'm not sure what would make sense for a 31 year old woman.

What's working for you?

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-30-2008, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Just one suggestion. At my annual physical, my family physician always goes through a litany of the most current preventive health topics. Your family doc or gyn may be able to suggest the very best vitamins for you because they should be keeping up with all the medical literature and also know your family history. You could call up their office and get recommendations/dosages there, too.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ true that. Also, my docs usually tell me while it's good to take supplements, the absolute best way to get vitamins is through healthy foods.

With that said though, I do take a multi-vitamin (always check for Vitamin D... it's good for you and some studies suggest it helps reduce your risk of certain cancers), and a calcium supplement. Multivitamins usually contain 100% of Vitamin C.

Every once in awhile I will take a B complex at night before bed, and I'll take an antioxident supplement if I feel a cold or something coming on.

Don't OD on the vitmains though. If you do a google search you will find that some vitamins in excess can be counter-productive and others toxic. And BE SURE TO CHECK THE EXPIRATION DATE ON THE BOTTLE. It sounds like a no-brainer, but one time I was in a hurry and bought an antioxident supplement that was expired by like 3 months. I took them back obviously, but I was shocked b/c I would have thought that vitamin stores would check for that sort of thing.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I like the Viactiv Power Glide Multi-Vitamins and Calcium supplements. They go down very easily, which is sometimes a problem for me. The calcium tastes like vanilla, and the multi-vitamin like "berry". I take OmegaSmart MD fish oil, which doesn't have the "fishy" taste some do, and kelp. I take kelp because I have hypothyroidism. HTH -
Old 08-30-2008, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
It's best to take only whole-food vitamins as opposed to vitamins that contain non-food elements. You could check out a naturopathic doctor (http://www.naturopathic.org) and have a full health check-up to determine what your body specifically needs.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar281
What I take...

BeneFiber (Calcium Plus) tasteless, grit-free, and dissolves completely in water. I was skeptical at first but it really is tasteless.

Centrum Multivitamin
Old 08-30-2008, 04:00 PM

I take a multivitamin, plus extra vitamin C, vitamin E, calcium (I don't drink milk so I need the extra calcium), and fish oil (recommended by my nutritionist).
Old 08-31-2008, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV so this is just my personal experience with vitamins and no one should follow it without consulting their own doctor for their specific needs.

I did a LOT of research on vitamins online (National Institute of Health, Dr. Oz's recs on Oprah.com and numerous other health sites) plus talked to my doctor and here's what I am taking.

It took a bit of work to find the right combo of doses and products that met the requirements I needed. Some of these I take twice a day at breakfast and dinner, some just once. It's important to spread your intake of some vitamins, like Vit C, out in several doses over the day.
  • Caltrate-D (calcium with extra vit D)
  • CoQ10 (I was told that Nature Made brand is the only one that really the Q10 in it. Not sure why)
  • B-Complex
  • B-12 dots
  • Vit E (natural mixed tocopherals)
  • Omega-3 Fish oil (you want one that contains EPA and DHA and says no "fish burps")
  • Acetyl L-Carnitine with Alpha Lipoic Acid (the bottle says it promotes memory and antioxidant support, but I take it because I am sometimes slightly hyperglycemic and it is supposed to help lower blood sugar)
  • Multi-vitamin/mineral/antioxidant supplement called Multi-betic that has all the usual suspects plus it is a diabetic formula to help my blood sugar with ingredients like Chromium and Biotin.
  • Then I either chew some Fiber Choice tablets or use BeneFiber powder mixed in drinks or food for extra fiber.
  • I tried flaxseed oil for a while, using the oil that you mix in food instead of a pill. But it made things taste bad.

I am 35/F.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
Prenatal vitamins are a good source of daily vitamins. But again, check with your doctor.
Im taking Womens One A Day (when I remember too, oops!) and extra vitamin C and a cranberry supplement to fight off a UTI (was that TMI, lol). I'm a 31/F. Vitamin D is important for women to help with absorption of calcium. But again, check with your doctor and/or ob-gyn.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Old 08-31-2008, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightBulb View Post
I took Flintstone vitamins until maybe 2 yrs ago. They taste so much better than those horsepills you get at the vitamin store for grown ups
Old 08-31-2008, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

That's why I like the Viactiv pills - the smooth, flavoured coating makes it much easier to take them!
Old 08-31-2008, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Take Nutralite Triple X vitamins. They're amazing - take them for a week and you'll feel like a new person.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
Take Nutralite Triple X vitamins. They're amazing - take them for a week and you'll feel like a new person.
Amway?!?!?!?!?!?

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
Amway?!?!?!?!?!?
Yep...there's a reason why Nutrilite is the #1 vitamins brand in the entire continent of Asia, you know