GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,357
3 members and 1,354 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17, JayhawkAOII

Old 03-30-2010, 10:50 AM
ivygirl2b

I am interested in joining a graduate chapter of the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority for a number of reasons--one being their incredible devotion to community service. I have been attending the activities to support the local chapter and build a good rapport with the members. I've constantly been studying the chapter, the history of AKA and everything else pertaining to the organization. I've been helping to spread the word about their activities as well. I'm a very determined young woman, and hope that the chapter will consider me. I would like to know from any AKA sorors (of any chapter) if you think I'm on the right track to receiving a letter of recommendation?
Old 03-30-2010, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivygirl2b View Post
I am interested in joining a graduate chapter of the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority for a number of reasons--one being their incredible devotion to community service. I have been attending the activities to support the local chapter and build a good rapport with the members. I've constantly been studying the chapter, the history of AKA and everything else pertaining to the organization. I've been helping to spread the word about their activities as well. I'm a very determined young woman, and hope that the chapter will consider me. I would like to know from any AKA sorors (of any chapter) if you think I'm on the right track to receiving a letter of recommendation?
*blank stare* @ this post, this screen name, and this signature.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Should you mention your legacy status to the girl rushing you, or should you expect her to bring it up?
Old 05-18-2010, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janieladie View Post
Should you mention your legacy status to the girl rushing you, or should you expect her to bring it up?
I wouldn't bring it up unless you're far along in the process and want to really let them know that it means something to you or let a chapter know that you aren't letting your legacy status color your decision process if you want to join a chapter that is not your legacy chapter. I think for a lot of collegians, having PNMs harp on their legacy status can be off putting. They know that you are a legacy. You want them to want you for you, not your family member.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-18-2010, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I wouldn't bring it up unless you're far along in the process and want to really let them know that it means something to you or let a chapter know that you aren't letting your legacy status color your decision process if you want to join a chapter that is not your legacy chapter. I think for a lot of collegians, having PNMs harp on their legacy status can be off putting. They know that you are a legacy. You want them to want you for you, not your family member.
Exactly. Your legacy status will be noted on your rec. It's ok to mention if it flows naturally into the conversation for those above reasons. Also, if asked why you became interested in joining a sorority, you can talk about your legacy relative.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a question (:

I'm rushing in August at a pretty small school with 5 sororities. Rush week is August 11th- 15th, Bid Day being on the 15th. How many cuts will I have to make each night?
Old 07-09-2010, 05:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by court_3 View Post
I have a question (:

I'm rushing in August at a pretty small school with 5 sororities. Rush week is August 11th- 15th, Bid Day being on the 15th. How many cuts will I have to make each night?
You already posted this. No one has a crystal ball. It could totally vary. Check the greek life page at your school or call the greek life office and ask for the recruitment schedule.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by court_3 View Post
I have a question (:

panhellenic and the recruitment counselors will explain it all in a meeting before you attend any parties, and you will be with your recruitment counselor every time you decide who you would like to return to, and she will remind you all what to do and how to do it-they sort of lead you by the hand, so to speak, so no need to worry.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for posting such good advice!
Old 07-10-2010, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
You already posted this. No one has a crystal ball. It could totally vary. Check the greek life page at your school or call the greek life office and ask for the recruitment schedule.

Well, I'm sorry. I'm brand new to this site and I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to post in more than one spot. Besides I really wasn't sure where to post in the first place. My mistake. Also, I was asking because I figured there would be some people who had rushed at a school with 5 sororities. I thought that's what this site was for- to ask questions.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, yet you were asking for very specific advice, which none of us would know. Something like this is far better to ask the people who actually run these things like your office of Greek life.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I was just really wanting some ideas of what it was like for others. I should have mentioned that! Sorry! (:
Old 07-10-2010, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

message me if I was correct in my assumption and I can give you specific details
Old 07-13-2010, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi all! I'm rushing this fall at a large southern state school and had a quick question. My high school activities, while I had some cooler ones like student council, were mostly activities that are perceived as "dorky". I'm not a nerd, but I'm sure it sounds like I am from my recruitment application (and maybe rec letters, too). I was curious as to if I'll be judged by the sororities because of this. I know that if a group doesn't accept me for things like that, then I don't want to be a part of that group and that sisters have many different interests and activities, but I'm curious. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNM1526 View Post
Hi all! I'm rushing this fall at a large southern state school and had a quick question. My high school activities, while I had some cooler ones like student council, were mostly activities that are perceived as "dorky". I'm not a nerd, but I'm sure it sounds like I am from my recruitment application (and maybe rec letters, too). I was curious as to if I'll be judged by the sororities because of this. I know that if a group doesn't accept me for things like that, then I don't want to be a part of that group and that sisters have many different interests and activities, but I'm curious. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
You'd be surprised how many sorority women were mathletes or in marching band in high school...