GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,207
1 members and 2,206 guests
Xidelt

Old 11-28-2005, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

New Islamic Sorority

According to the Lexington Herald Leader,

"Take away the sorority house and alcohol-drenched co-ed parties. Keep elements of sisterhood and community service. Now add the tenets of Islam."

"The University of Kentucky is slated to become the site of the first campus chapter of Gamma Gamma Chi - the only Muslim sorority in America."

I have no problem with the Muslim sorority. But I am so upset that the article had to bash social sororities with the "alcohol-drenched" comment.

The article was written by Raviya H. Ismail, Hearld-Leader Education Writer.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-28-2005, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I suppose it was only a matter of time.

ALPHASIGMAPHI
Est. Yale 1845
Old 11-28-2005, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
There is already a thread about this.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
This was in the Chicago Tribune last week...I meant to post this story! Here it is:

One sorority's modest start

By Jenny Jarvie
Tribune Newspapers: Los Angeles Times
Published November 23, 2005

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Tottering on stilettos, Amira Shalash, a freshman at the University of Kentucky, tossed back her long, tousled hair and tugged at the neckline of her sweater, which had slipped off her shoulder.

Giggling, her friends--they wear hijabs, traditional Muslim head scarves--teased her that she wasn't dressed modestly enough.

The nine young women were gathered to learn about the nation's first Islamic sorority.

The motto of Gamma Gamma Chi: "Striving for the pleasure of Allah through Sisterhood, Scholarship, Leadership and Community Service."

The sorority hopes to establish its first campus chapter at the University of Kentucky.

Taking a seat at the introductory meeting, Boushra Aghil, 20, a junior in an olive green shirt and black hijab, studied the sorority's gold brochure. She was curious about how Gamma Gamma Chi would reconcile Islamic morals with sorority life--and the party atmosphere associated with it.

"My parents would never, ever let me join a regular sorority," Shalash said. "I don't know any Muslim sorority girls."

Yet many young Muslim women are intrigued by the concept. Since Gamma Gamma Chi was founded seven months ago, Muslim students from 14 states--and from Pakistan and the United Arab Emirates--have e-mailed the sorority's national headquarters in Alexandria, Va. The biggest response came from the University of Kentucky in Lexington, a city with a Muslim population of nearly 2,500.

The idea for Gamma Gamma Chi came from Imani Abdul-Haqq, 34, a business administration major at Guilford College in Greensboro, N.C.

An African-American who converted to Islam in 2000, Abdul-Haqq considered joining a black sorority but worried that she would have to compromise her Muslim beliefs. Even the term for the nine predominantly black fraternities and sororities--the Divine Nine--makes her uncomfortable. Only Allah, she says, is divine.

"As a Muslim who dresses modestly and does not drink, I wouldn't want to set myself apart from the people I was pledging with," she said. "I want to feel the unity."

As the first Muslim sorority, Gamma Gamma Chi has the unique challenge of creating sorority life that is in keeping with Islamic law.

Although alcohol is banned in most sorority houses, a national study conducted in 2001 identified 62 percent of sorority members as binge drinkers.

That type of behavior won't be tolerated at Gamma Gamma Chi. Althia Collins, its president and executive director, has devised a strict induction process. An education consultant and former college administrator, Collins helped her daughter, Abdul-Haqq, establish the sorority.

"It will be a bit like `The Apprentice' or `America's Next Top Model,'" Collins said. "We will give them `Gamma mail,' which details a challenge for them to work on, like learning verses from the Koran."

If more than five students at the University of Kentucky submit membership applications by January, Gamma Gamma Chi hopes to establish its first chapter in February.

At her Nov. 6 presentation on campus, Collins wore the sorority's colors--lavender and green--as she explained the concept of a Muslim sorority. Collins, who converted to Islam in 1999, pledged Delta Sigma Theta--a traditionally black sorority--when she was a student in the 1980s.

Afterward, all of the women said they wanted to join Gamma Gamma Chi. They had just one question.

"Why," asked Aghil, "did you choose those colors?"

"Green is for the color of the Prophet," Collins said. "Lavender is a peaceful color; people like to smell it before they go to sleep."

Aghil frowned.

"I've never been a fan of purple," she said later. "But, I know, it's very superficial of me to worry. We could have a Muslim sorority, here in little town Kentucky."
Old 11-28-2005, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to _Opi_
A Sorority for muslim women, what a great concept!
Old 11-28-2005, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a hard time believing they'll get bus drivers for their socials.......
Old 11-28-2005, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SigmaChiGuy
Old 11-28-2005, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish them good luck.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Actually, there is nothing wrong with this unless they become so Greekized that they cannot go Home!

It has to be a total New Window of Life for them!

I guess it just depends on How they look at it and interact with others of Greek Life.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-28-2005, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Quote:
ZING!
Old 11-28-2005, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ejbiff Send a message via Yahoo to ejbiff

That's a bit harsh! and ignorant!

I wish the new sorority luck- it's gonna be a hard road, but with perserverance you can make it!
Old 11-28-2005, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

"We could have a Muslim sorority, here in little town Kentucky."

Congrats to Gamma Gamma Chi and On! On! U of K!

Gamma Gamma Chi Sorority, Inc.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Congrats to them and good luck.

Although I find it funny. If an NPC had "Gamma mail" that'd probably be considered hazing.

KLTC
Old 11-28-2005, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that this is a good thing for Muslim women. They face a lot of discrimination, and anything that'll create a sense of unity is great for them.

Good luck!
Old 11-28-2005, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm mad they don't even have a chapter and yet they have an exclusive paraphenalia site.

It's still a good idea, I wish them luck.