GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,034
0 members and 1,034 guests
No Members online

Old 04-27-2005, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Mizzou "Panhellenic recruitment rules restore integrity"

I thought this was a positive article about recruitment and the movement towards "no frills" nationally. I know it's specifically about Mizzou, but I think anyone who's participated in panhellenic recruitment can relate. (I also think it's awesome that they're trying to get non-Greeks to recognize the positive aspects!) One of my recruitment counselors from when I went through, Megan Madden, wrote it since she is now the vice president of recruitment for panhel! Just thought I'd share!

Panhellenic recruitment rules restore integrity
By Megan Madden and Margy Fischer, Panhellenic Council. Posted April 26, 2005.

As a passerby of Panhellenic recruitment, it’s easy to see women walking out of their chapter houses in matching outfits and smiles on their faces and think that this formality is superficial. But like most stereotypes, if you look deeper, you’ll see the real process of Panhellenic Association recruitment. There is a reason why more than 1,000 women sign up to participate in PHA recruitment. It is a process in which women can become part of a chapter with a greater purpose. It is a process that enables a woman to be a part of something not just for a few years, but for life. Eliminating some of the frivolous aspects of recruitment strengthens our process by helping potential members feel welcome in our community. It also encourages participating women to focus on sisterhood and core values during recruitment, rather than decorations and outfits.

On the first day, every potential member visits every chapter. From there, the number of socials a woman can attend decreases. But not all potential members are asked to return to the maximum number of chapters on a social day. This should not discourage a potential recruit, because it means she can focus on a chapter that could be right for her, rather than revisit a chapter that does not fit her.

During this week, chapters showcase their activities related to the standards of leadership, scholarship, philanthropy and sisterhood. Excessive decorations are unnecessary for a chapter to communicate their individuality in our community.

Decorations, mass-ordered clothing and personalization only serve as distractions from the four principles of our community that chapters should display to women coming through recruitment.

Recruitment is not a spectacle. It is a tool for incoming freshmen women to find the chapter that is right for them. Greek women have integrity. Greek women are intelligent, and as a community, they maintain a higher grade-point average than non-Greek women.

We should protect the integrity of our recruitment process. Eliminating the hours of work required for decorations and other frills creates a less intimidating environment for the potential members.

“No frills” is a nationally promoted movement from the National Panhellenic Conference. We are fortunate to have chapters supporting the gradual changes PHA executive council is introducing.

Panhellenic Council is the governing body for MU’s 13 sororities.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:00 AM

This is a very nice article. But do the sororities at Mizzou actually DO it? I mean, have they gotten rid of decorations and matching outfits and such?

We were supposed to be no-frills TEN YEARS AGO. The fact that people pat themselves on the back for reducing the amount of balloons you can have is just kind of hollow, IMO.

This isn't anything against Mizzou, there are plenty of schools that have fought tooth and nail against no frills and the only way they've done it is by force.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Are we completely no frills? No. But we're working towards it, and I think that's about as much as most other schools can say. Yes, the idea of "no frills" came years ago... but to go from bells and whistles one year to completely no frills the next isn't realistic. That would be a hard adjustment not only for members, but for PNMs, who would have to adapt to a completely different atmosphere during recruitment than what they had expected.

A lot of things have changed about recruitment at Mizzou from last year to this year alone. Personalized items are no longer allowed. (Printed napkins, etc.) Members are no longer allowed to write letters to PNMs during recruitment. (Last year on pref day, some of the chapters' presidents wrote individual letters to each PNM who attended their sorority's party that day.) Panhel is now providing t-shirts and nametags for the members of each house. (Which saves some houses from ordering polos from Express in bulk, haha... but certainly not my house!! ) Decorations for skit day are now limited to a 15 foot walkway and the room that the skit will take place in. (This is BIG because in the past, houses have gone all out... literally decorating the entire interior of their house.) Only water will be served during parties. (Last year there was everything from bottles of Coke, punch, fake Cosmos, smoothies.)

So to answer your question, yes, it really IS changing. It's not all changing, but it's more than just decreasing the amount of balloons. It may be overdue, but I'm really proud of our panhel execs for taking some initiative with this.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I completely understand the need for the no-frills rush, but part of me can't help but be sad--I used to love decorating the house to the nines for rush....
The only thing that jumps out in my mind from rush was that during my college days, they made chapters stop chanting and cheering before the pnms (they were rushees back then) came to the door--apparently some of the girls were intimidated by it. In hindsight, I suppose we did get pretty loud behind those doors!