GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Delta Tau

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,368
1 members and 1,367 guests
Cookiez17

Old 03-11-2012, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, Gusteau. You are so right.

As for the tattoos mentioned, I've noticed that most people who decide to get these (not tramp stamps or massive pieces that cover half the back) end up regretting them later in life. I have a sister with a panda head on her ankle that was a decision made as an 18 year old. Hard to cover that up as a 40 year old woman, but it was impossible to convince an 18 year old girl that she wouldn't want it at 40. My roommate from medical school has a rose and wheat on her ankle with AOII below it. It is very small. Hardly noticeable. When she got it, she said, "why wouldn't I put AOII on my body? It's a lifetime commitment!" The last time I saw her, she couldn't believe I was still involved in "that thing we did in college." I guess her lifetime commitment to AOII is on her ankle.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-11-2012, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Biggest reason that I can think of for not getting your sorority letters tattooed on your young self: sagging and wrinkly sorority letters later in life. Also, I'm a chicken regarding pain.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:00 PM

It's nice when someone goes from passive aggressive to just being straight up rude, closed minded and snobby. Easier for casual readers to figure out, don't cha know.

I'm sure there are members of EVERY sorority who have tattoos in general (from small to large) and who, believe it or not, are in national leadership roles. My answer was regarding tats period, not those with letters - everyone has their own rules about those. Honestly, tattoos aren't "shocking" anymore. This whole discussion reads like a missive from a 1971 fraternity magazine about the evils of sideburns.

But yeah, be careful with ANY large pieces...lower back or anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phN6tF5WJKM

Last edited by 33girl; 03-11-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

A few girls in my chapter have gotten sisterhood-related tattoos, but I can only think of one of our members who has our letters tattoo'd on her. We have a member with a tattoo of the twin stars, too. I don't know if there is anything to back this up, but a Theta tattoo is jokingly considered a "kiss of death" in our chapter, meaning you'll end up resigning for some reason before you graduate if you get one. Neither of the girls I know have resigned, they're wonderful members.

I would never get a tattoo of our letters though, because of what you aren't supposed to do in them. I would feel bad drinking "in letters" even if no one could see them. And nakey-time things. Just seems odd, like there are some things your letters shouldn't see haha. Not to say that we shouldn't always be representing Theta, I just mean the technical things that you should not be doing while wearing letters.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetaj View Post
I would never get a tattoo of our letters though, because of what you aren't supposed to do in them. I would feel bad drinking "in letters" even if no one could see them. And nakey-time things. Just seems odd, like there are some things your letters shouldn't see haha. Not to say that we shouldn't always be representing Theta, I just mean the technical things that you should not be doing while wearing letters.
That is hilarious.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Also, I'm a chicken regarding pain.
#1 reason why I have not gotten and will not get a tattoo. I went with a friend to get her tongue pierced. Someone else in the shop was getting a tattoo at the time. Just the sound of the needle was making me nauseous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
When I saw Chris Parnell in a lab coat, I thought he was going to introduce himself as Dr. Leo Spaceman.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
#1 reason why I have not gotten and will not get a tattoo. I went with a friend to get her tongue pierced. Someone else in the shop was getting a tattoo at the time. Just the sound of the needle was making me nauseous.
Just the thought of tongue piercing makes me feel lightheaded and close to fainting. I can't believe I made it through childbirth.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Just the thought of tongue piercing makes me feel lightheaded and close to fainting. I can't believe I made it through childbirth.
Sounds like you and I are on the same page...so if you made it, that gives me hope for myself, someday, lol
Old 03-11-2012, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
Sounds like you and I are on the same page...so if you made it, that gives me hope for myself, someday, lol
When you get to that point, you really don't have any choice.

Sorry for getting off subject! Now, back to tattoos!
Old 03-11-2012, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That is hilarious.
Didn't you know that when you wear your letters, the founders are watching?

Old 03-11-2012, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

My favorite photo of Bettie Locke Hamilton!

I will do some research as to whether it is permissible to have a tattoo of our Greek Letters. The Fraternity is protective of its brand and all related use of the Coat of Arms, letters, etc. I do know an alum who has a tiny kite tattoo, which is really cute and very subtle.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-11-2012, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I once told a friend who was interested in getting a tattoo to get an ankle bracelet with letters and wear it for a month. If at any time during that month you think of some reason to take it off - then you are not ready to commit to a tattoo. Didn't make it two weeks with the anklet.

This was after another friend of mine had a tattoo on her foot removed and wound up on crutches for a couple of weeks because they could not remove it completely with the laser and the incision to remove the rest of it did not heal properly.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know what the official Phi Delt stance is on tattoos, but I feel if it is a respectful tattoo in a respectful place it should be fine. BUT, if HQ doesnt allow it, dont get one.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

And she IS wondering what you are doing in those letter!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Banned

First of all, the OP is an SDT who asked this in the SDT forum. Only SDT can answer for and about SDT. One SDT responded about her chapter but there should be non-GC resources to tell SDT members about official and unofficial policies and protocol. GC is not a good resource for your org's policies and protocol...but whatever makes the Internet generation happy.

Quote:
It's nice when someone goes from passive aggressive to just being straight up rude, closed minded and snobby. Easier for casual readers to figure out, don't cha know.
I would love for NtBrnHair to say that around women who she ASSUMES do not have tattoos, sorority or otherwise. She may be in for a rude awakening.

I do not have tattoos and I do not want any permanent/semi-permanent markers on MY body. That does not translate to there being something wrong with any form of tattooing (or other permanent and semi-permanent body markings).

Quote:
I'm sure there are members of EVERY sorority who have tattoos in general (from small to large) and who, believe it or not, are in national leadership roles.
This topic has been discussed so much on GC.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=233

Last edited by DrPhil; 03-11-2012 at 08:27 PM.